Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 12-04-18

Default Techniques for towing vans up hills

Weíve just driven some pretty mountainous country from Melbourne to Ballina via Dargo, Jindabyne and Tenterfield pulling a 2.5T van with our Auto 2013 NW.

Following the wisdom on this forum, weíre towing in 4H, 4th gear. Open road towing has been easy, but no surprises the Paj has struggled with a few of the hills.

Iím worried some of this is driver error from not selecting lower gears early enough and would love to know other driversí techniques for hills.

Iíve been aiming for good speed at the base and then to maintain 2500-3000rpm through the climb. Typically this means a change down to 3rd at 80-90kph (on the dial) peaking at a little over 3000rpm or the revs drop straight to low 2s and the speedo dives.

A couple of monsters have required another shift down to 2nd at around 50kph on the dial and a lot of encouragement.

(I donít have any gauges ATM but have been reading the forums and know an ultragauge should be a priority on my eBay shopping list)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-18
Valued Member

I don't see that there's much you are doing wrong. If you had a Scangauge or Ultagauge etc, then I suspect you would change down a bit earlier as you see the ATF temp climb (and it does so very quickly). But at the end of the day you are asking a 4 cylinder 2.25T (kerb wt)/3T (fully loaded) tug to haul a 2.5T (loaded wt?) van up some long hard hills. It's not going to be zippy.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 12-04-18
Valued Member

As mentioned, this usage results in very high ATF temps, which dramatically shortens the life of the fluid.

For heavy towing, the handbook shows ATF should be changed I think every 90k (check the book). Depending on history & kms, might be worth considering a change now - then you will know its good. Be sure to use the correct fluid (genuine if in any doubt) - its expensive, but transmissions are much more expensive. Note there are a few other service items that need to be done more frequently if doing much heavy towing, eg, oil/filter, etc (refer handbook).
Old 12-04-18
Valued Member

Maybe aim for 2800-3400. That way as it starts to lose momentum it still has a bit more torque to use. A nearly 3 tonne brick pulling another 2.5 tonne brick up a hill is never going to be quick, let alone easy. Dont be afraid to use 3rd gear. Maybe try lighten the load as much as you can too.
Old 12-04-18

My recent exposure to towing a 2.8T van at Xmas had me constantly watching intake and transmission temps via my Scangauge. An unlocked converter quickly results in transmission temps approaching 110deg. With the converter locked I didn't see much more than 85deg. Intake temps can also quite easily hit 100deg. The other worrying temp is EGT. On big hills I was constantly seeing 600deg which is not good. I'm hoping to improve all this in the coming 6 months with an M&M Lockup, intercooler and possible tune.

As said above towing a big van is a lot to ask for a little 3.2L Paj. I estimate my weight to be 5.6T fully loaded.

Benny.
2011 NT Pajero Platinum, dual batteries, MM alloy bar, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent catch can, EGR disabled, Auto-mate TC lockup, 2 micron secondary fuel filter, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors & Bendix 4WD pads, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, H-Reese Compact brake controller, Uniden UH7760NB and Scangauge II.
Old 12-04-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTBenny View Post
My recent exposure to towing a 2.8T van at Xmas had me constantly watching intake and transmission temps via my Scangauge. An unlocked converter quickly results in transmission temps approaching 110deg. With the converter locked I didn't see much more than 85deg. Intake temps can also quite easily hit 100deg. The other worrying temp is EGT. On big hills I was constantly seeing 600deg which is not good. I'm hoping to improve all this in the coming 6 months with an M&M Lockup, intercooler and possible tune.

As said above towing a big van is a lot to ask for a little 3.2L Paj. I estimate my weight to be 5.6T fully loaded.

Benny.
Benny

I don't think 600degC is too much for EGT in those circumstances, dependant in where the probe us situated. My reading on the matter has indicated that below 700degC is all good, so 600 is still well within usage limits I would think. Crazy high when you think of it, but still acceptable.

CATS

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
(Snoopy)Old Man Emu heavy duty suspension-now on Iron man, 265/75/16 BFG A/T tyres, ARB Sahara bar, Warn winch, KC Daylighter and Hella spots, 3 aux Batteries, ARB aircompressor, Safari Snorkel, Outback Roofrack, on board EGT and Tyre Pressure gauge. Factory rear difflock standard :-) - Sadly sold and missed dearly.
2008 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Sylvester)-SOLD
2009 Pajero NS 3.2 DiDc GLS LWB Auto(Casper)
Old 13-04-18

Yeah problem is my probe is about 50mm off the back of the turbo in the dump pipe so I've taken 100deg off as a maximum.

Benny.
2011 NT Pajero Platinum, dual batteries, MM alloy bar, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent catch can, EGR disabled, Auto-mate TC lockup, 2 micron secondary fuel filter, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors & Bendix 4WD pads, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, H-Reese Compact brake controller, Uniden UH7760NB and Scangauge II.
Old 13-04-18

Thanks @pwoffey, @spot01, @Dicko1, @NTBenny - thatís been reassuring. Have ordered an ultraguage and will try to use this to ensure Iím being as kind to the auto as I can while towing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13-04-18

I have installed a temp guage at the oil outlet from the transmission to the cooler so we are getting accurate temps
The speed at which the temperature increases amazed me and changing driving style has an enormous effect on the temperatures.
I even found out that coasting down a hill in 5th gear increases oil temp fairly quickly.
Towing a 2 ton van on a flat road in 4th gear oil will be around 80 degrees and any slight incline will see the temps rise pretty quickly.
Really happy we installed ours.
The next thing will probably be a torque convertor lock up kit just waiting on MM 4x4 to develop it for the NS.
Old 13-04-18
Valued Member

I tow 2t and use 2nd and 3rd alot. Keeps the trans temp down considerably. With my oversized tyres i use 4th regularly just driving around.
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476