Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 26-06-17

Would have expected more shackles tested ( local vs overseas made ) and also wonder what the results would be if a sudden load was applied to the shackle like a real life recovery rather than a slow increase as per the test.
Old 26-06-17
Valued Member

The more the merry on shackle testing but good to see they tested a soft shackle. I use 4.5 tonne steel shackles but have a couple of soft shackles. I am curious though on the force exerted during a snatch. My Mythbuster watching suggests with car myths they struggle to get a cable to hold together with such things as ripping a diff out and doing a Batman style turn.

4.5 tonne shackle is likely a lot tougher than what it is attached to so the issue is this heavy blighter heading at you at high speed. As posted if it can go through panel steel with ease then a sheet of glass and head rest not much protection.

Feel I might have to visit a climbing shop for a safety rope strong enough to catch the shackle. Or maybe use as mention three safety blankets. One at each end with one in the middle.

But very interested in safe recovery speed with a never to be exceeded speed. Something tells me that speed will be relatively slow compared to what it is possible to accelerate up to in ten metres.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 26-06-17
Who ya gunna call....

I watched a 3.75 tonne shackle load tested to fail years ago.
I failed at just over 30 tonne!
Old 26-06-17
Valued Member

Yep pretty unimpressed with that article as well. That Bunnings shackle is really got to be some sort of joke, I doubt it would even fit over a snatchstrap and the fact that it held 4 tonnes makes me actually impressed by its performance. Something that looks like a 6mm elcheapo Dshackle held 4 tonnes..... totally will continue to use them at home for the basic crap I use them for now.....

Yes I have a proper rated shackle for my snatch strap as well, but I think that article is more of an advert for TJM than a true comparison of shackles. after all they only tested 1 true Recovery shackle.

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 28-06-17

This story is a sad, but timely reminder recovery is a very dangerous aspect of the pass time we enjoy. When your recovering a vehicle take your time and methodically work your way through what you are about to do. If need be take control of what is happening before someone turns a stupid decision into dangerous action. The safety of those around you are dependent on your good decisions.
Old 29-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodsy View Post
Have not had a good run of late. Will not discuss here but on the way back slowly.
Good to see you back on here anyway, mate. All the best.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.