Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 24-06-17
Valued Member

I had a snatch strap break once when we tried to pull my old backhoe out of a bog the strap just sprung back a bit and fell to the ground. I think the problem arises when things like D-Shackles on the end of the straps break they are catapulted through the air with the strap acting like a slingshot.

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 24-06-17
Valued Member

While this is most definately a bad scenario and I feel for the family and others involved I have seen 3 versions of what broke in this story

1 tow rope being used to snatch
2 snatch strap broke
3 snatched off bull bar and bull bar broke

2 of these scenarios are poor technique and 1 is (assuming good gear) bad luck. But worst of all is the fact that the media is presenting at least 2 stories that are misleading and feeding the frenzy that is social media and keyboard warriors. I have seen an old snatch strap break (only a few weeks ago) and we did indeed have a dampener on it but as it was the strap that broke there was no weighted object on the end (eg tow ball) and there is no way it would gone through a window. In fact it did not even recoil as far back as the dampener.

I truely wish there was more accuracy in the reporting because I feel we are all commenting here on something that is near on urban legend - it could be true but who knows (again not the tragic death but the cause)

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 24-06-17
Valued Member

The general poor quality of reporting makes rational analysis impossible. In Tassie a couple recent tragic deaths have been snatching on the towball which broke off and was catapulted through a window hitting a person in the head.

The forces involved are massive with a mate seeing a recovery vehicle backing up to almost bumpers touching then the recovery vehicle travelling at the maximum speed it could muster only to be overtaken by the bullbar from the vehicle being "recovered". Luck meant no one was hurt or killed.

Saw a 4x4 show where the snatching vehicle was not straight on so it got pull to one side with the Landcruiser 76 winding up on its side.

Many years ago before familiar with 4x4s I was snatched out of sand by a 4x4 when taking the helm after a friend had bogged their 4x2 BT50 on a sandy track. A gentle tow would have been sufficient but instead junior took off at a great rate and I was propelled with great force.

I think the problem is no great database of knowledge on how to snatch. I know I am learning so doing it gently. In sand probably prefer Maxitrax recoveries or more a tow than a snatch.

There is an argument that a second rope should be attached to both vehicles so if something breaks loose it gets stopped. I use a snatch blanket but wonder really how effective they are. Sounds like you have a mixed bag of results with them.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 24-06-17
Valued Member

I also dont have a huge amount of 4WDing experience, but fortunately for me, some SA blokes on here have taken me under their wing. While I may not know a lot compared to a lot of others, I am confident that everything I have learned so has been been from 1st class teachers.

I have only been stuck once so far and I was winched out. I have had a set of MaxTrax and a couple of Snatch Straps for a couple of years now and never had to use them. Im sort of looking forward to the day when I do so I can learn to use them properly from people that know.

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 26-06-17

Living near Fraser Island/Inskip Point, you get to see some crazy attempts of recovery. Seen a few towbar snatches end badly. There is a you tube channel called 'I got bogged at Inskip'. Plenty of cringe worthy footage there too. I have been dragged out and done the dragging out a few times. I usually use three blankets (one a few metres in from either end and in the middle) just in case and yes they do work very well. Surprising how effective a beach towel is as a dampener.
Old 26-06-17
Who ya gunna call....

I've had a bow shackle (3.25T) break a tow point in a dunnydoor stuck in sand. (Long story). It was light tug but the shackle went straight through both panels of the tailgate (Hilux) and put a good sized bent in a 9kg gas bottle.
From then a lot more thought was put into all recovery's. To the point if my input was just to make a call and drive away.
Old 26-06-17

Interesting article in unsealed 4x4.

http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue0...38+-+Send+1#77
Old 26-06-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodsy View Post
I've had a bow shackle (3.25T) break a tow point in a dunnydoor stuck in sand. (Long story). It was light tug but the shackle went straight through both panels of the tailgate (Hilux) and put a good sized bent in a 9kg gas bottle.
From then a lot more thought was put into all recovery's. To the point if my input was just to make a call and drive away.
Hey Goodsy,

Where the hell did you surface from ? Good to hear from you mate.

Cheers

Geoff
03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.
Old 26-06-17
Who ya gunna call....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHendo View Post
Hey Goodsy,

Where the hell did you surface from ? Good to hear from you mate.

Cheers

Geoff
Have not had a good run of late. Will not discuss here but on the way back slowly.
Old 26-06-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
I was a bit disappointed with this article, I was expecting something along the lines of their comparison on the snatch straps, this comparison only compared 3 shackles.
Completely agree, considering how cheap shackles are the chances of finding vastly different breaking points depending on how they're made, I think the fact they only tried 3 different types of shackles a let down. They should have tried some cheap rated shackles to see if it's worth paying for the name brand, or if all rated shackles have the same safety factor.