Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 18-10-16
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSSAMER View Post
P.S. i was told after my last trip the the towing speed limit in NSW is 100kph even on the 110kph Hume anyone know if that's true???
I believe it is. I just came back from Sydney towing a car trailer with the remains of an NW, so we looked it up. Definitely 100km/h limit in NSW, website might've said same applied Australia wide, but I wasn't planning to travel above 100km/h anyway.

I don't recall that there was any weight limit i.e. if it only applied to trailers above xxx kg, or if it was a blanket rule for all towing. At an estimated 2.8T I was happy to accept that it applied to me.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 18-10-16

Before reading Gossamers post I had never heard of a towing speed limit in NSW despite driving and occasionally towing for 30 years in NSW.

This site says no towing speed limit in NSW, and they are the governing body:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safe...es/towing.html

There are some other trusted sites like NRMA that say the limit is 100 kph if the tug and trailer is over 4.5 tonne, otherwise it is the posted speed limit. My max allowed between the tug and trailer is 4.3 tonne and I would never go near that weight.
http://m.mynrma.com.au/motoring-serv...van-towing.htm
http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/cara...-speed-limits/

Ya learn something every day! :-)

And interestingly, on my last trip, I saw two temporary roadside car inspections including what appeared to be a portable weigh bridge. Never got pulled over for either. Kindav wanted to get a weight to save the $25 it cost me to get it weighed here! :-)
Pajero NX Exceed 2015. Factory tow bar. ECB alloy bullbar. 9500kg Iron Man winch with synthetic rope. Icom IC-440 80 channel CB. Bush Skins intercooler, sump, transfer case, transmission guards and side steps. 20 inch light bar, Redarc brake controller, 2 inch Dobinsons MRR lift with AorbagMan kevlar sleeve airbags, Kings awning, Inreach Explorer.

Last edited by MadBison; 18-10-16 at 12:31 PM.
Old 18-10-16
Valued Member

Regularly taken the ~1.2t boat up to 110 in 5th but normally sit on 90-95 in 5th with no ill affects (that I know of anyway). As long as I've got over 2300 revs in whatever gear for whatever speed (when it comes to highway driving) it seems to be happy.

Many factors at play though- wind, gradient etc. thinking ahead helps- drop down before you begin to struggle climbing a hill etc.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 18-10-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGGA View Post
You can change the shift pattern around Dicko, have a read here https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...tl+mode+switch
+1.

My work ute has them opposite so when I got the Paj I was forever changing gears the wrong way! Half an hour later the wires were switched and all is good....
Old 19-10-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBison View Post
Before reading Gossamers post I had never heard of a towing speed limit in NSW despite driving and occasionally towing for 30 years in NSW.
I'd never heard of it either hence why its something i'd never looked up

Tassie is 90kph and WA is 100kph by the look of it

http://www.withoutahitch.com.au/cara...-speed-limits/
Old 19-10-16

Default How do you drive when towing?

I'm sure that when I got my licence in NSW the speed limit was 100 for towing and it has been relaxed since to just apply to heavy vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-17
Valued Member

I towed a single axle flat bed trailer with a 900kg mower around. The trailer was gal and about 20mm wider than the dual cab I was driving. There would be 4 up in the ute, plus work gear as well.
Never over 80kph..
Paj with 1000k camper trailer and loaded with gear..between 80 @ 90kph.

Old 05-03-17
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_q View Post
I'm sure that when I got my licence in NSW the speed limit was 100 for towing and it has been relaxed since to just apply to heavy vehicles.

Limit for towing in NSW used to be 100, and another limit of 80 (or was it 90?) for over certain weights. It is now simply the posted speed limit. Changed about 15 years ago,
Old 05-03-17
Valued Member

1100kg camper and vehicle loaded..100kph where possible , 4th gear sports and always leave good gap between me and the car in front...always, especially towing.

1200kg is not a lot of weight . Sometimes sit on 90-95 but I know this pisses people off on the highways so I will do 100kph when I can and to keep traffic flow up. . Normally I,m in no rush.
Old 05-03-17
Valued Member

I own a Lifestyle Elite walk through.

At a guess when fully loaded, around 1.5t. I want to take it to a weigh station one day to confirm.

When towing, I found 4th gear, 2200rpm at 90kph is the sweet spot.

Auto remains locked and the fuel consumption hovers around 12 on the dash board display.

That running 285/70/17 Pirelli Scorpion ATR 2011 PB Challenger.
MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.