Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 31-08-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotare View Post
Without having any other details, my guess by looking at the pics and damage is that the driver lost control with van attached, jack knifed and hit the barrier resulting in tow hitch to part company with the van.

Can't see how such an accident would happen if it was the case the towbar just broke whilst underway.
I don't presume to have much experience towing but I would agree with the above. The items suspended from the rear end of the caravan will make the combination more unsteady. Perhaps this was done to reduce rear end sag.

Situations like these are where the insurers (and police) have a very close look at the vehicle and caravan and make sure everything (including weight) was compliant with vehicle specifications and ADRs. I hope the vehicle was not overloaded, otherwise the insurer might be able to argue that this caused the accident (which insurance does not cover).
Old 31-08-16
Valued Member

Hi Green Troill.

I wouldn't say "blaming", but forums are there for theories - it's only by putting forward a thought or theory as to what caused it or what happennd we can learn from it, what NOT to do in the future.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Cheers,
Sally

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575
Old 31-08-16

Default WDH loading

Over the last 5 or 10 years I have collected quite a few photo's of failed tow hitches.

The failure modes from memory include broken tow bars, tow bars separated from the tow vehicle, broken/ bent A frames, and couplings / hitches separating from the A frame.

The one obvious common factor in all cases was the use of high load (250kg+) WDH bars.

WDH systems can be very beneficial but we should have a limitation the loading, eg a maximum 60 to 70% of the allowable ball weight, or some other limitation preferably imposed by the vehicle builder or tow bar manufacturer.
Old 31-08-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHarvey View Post
Over the last 5 or 10 years I have collected quite a few photo's of failed tow hitches.

The failure modes from memory include broken tow bars, tow bars separated from the tow vehicle, broken/ bent A frames, and couplings / hitches separating from the A frame.

The one obvious common factor in all cases was the use of high load (250kg+) WDH bars.

WDH systems can be very beneficial but we should have a limitation the loading, eg a maximum 60 to 70% of the allowable ball weight, or some other limitation preferably imposed by the vehicle builder or tow bar manufacturer.

I would bet that half of the accidents caused involving caravans could be halved if people bought a van that was a maximum 2/3 of what the glossy advert said their vehicle was capable of towing. And thats 2/3 loaded up ready to hit the tar!!
Old 31-08-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I would bet that half of the accidents caused involving caravans could be halved if people bought a van that was a maximum 2/3 of what the glossy advert said their vehicle was capable of towing. And thats 2/3 loaded up ready to hit the tar!!
And did a recognised course on towing that includes reversing, emergency braking, keeping a safe distance, knowing the caravan doesn't follow the same track as the towing vehicle ect.
Old 31-08-16
Valued Member

How about this one......

https://youtu.be/_ix7ZgsWTMg
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 31-08-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
How about this one......

There goes the holiday.
Old 01-09-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
How about this one......

That is scary because I have exactly the same caravan. I also find it interesting that the van did not explode when it tipped over. I have seen many sites where obviously the van broke up - possessions and effects everywhere, and nothing but a chassis remaining. My van has now done just short of 200000 km and whilst I would hope to be immune from events such as these, I am still very cautious when driving the van anywhere.
Old 01-09-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
That is scary because I have exactly the same caravan. I also find it interesting that the van did not explode when it tipped over. I have seen many sites where obviously the van broke up - possessions and effects everywhere, and nothing but a chassis remaining. My van has now done just short of 200000 km and whilst I would hope to be immune from events such as these, I am still very cautious when driving the van anywhere.
scarey as, that is why I have never even been interested in getting a van.
Old 01-09-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSSAMER View Post
Saw this on Facebook, they were saying the van exceeded the towing weight. Not sure if it was true or not. Its hard to tell if the Paj crashed and broke the tow bar or if the tow bar broke causing the Paj to crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Am i seeing this correct in photo 2. The hitch pin is still in place? Therefore has ripped through the receiver?