• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Whiley
    • Aug 2013
    • Rockhampton

Compressor - ever use it?

We all cough up varying amounts for compressors but apart from the kids bikes and the wheelbarrow tyre I've never used mine, I've dropped the pressure for sand but the servo on the way home seems easier, so do you ever actually use yours?
    2002 NM 3.5 ltr, LPG Auto
  • Rovingman
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2014
    • Blue mountains

Yes quite alot when im away. Good purchase for me.
    maybe its not for everyone.
    Pajero NT RX 2011
    Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
    LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• bacon
      Banned
      • Feb 2015
      • Australia

No servo's where I go

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

My Shorty has an early ARB compressor which is a little on the slow side - a servo is a much better bet, if there's one handy.

My NT has a new model ARB compressor (mounted under the front passenger's seat), which is much faster (and the tyres don't hold as much air, either) so it's much more convenient. So much more convenient, that my brother doesn't bother breaking out is portable Big Red compressor any more - he waits for me to do my tyres, then uses mine.

In my opinion, a decent compressor is a "must have" for anybody who takes 4wding seriously. Where it sits in the order of priorities is always an interesting discussion, but it is probably my second most used off-road accessory (after a UHF radio; UHF & compressor are accessories, whereas tyres and suspension are modifications).
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

If you go off road it is one of the most important tools you need to carry and use.

Dropping tyre pressures not only takes the load off you vehicle, increases its off road capability but also lessens the amount of damage that is done to tracks and beaches. A lot of people are afraid to lower pressures as they do not understand the benefits of increasing footprint lengths.

For me, off road 20psi for rocks and mud, and 14psi for sand, on badly corrugated tracks at GVM 22psi front and 24psi rear, with LT 10 ply rated tyres.

My twin cylinder 4wd Systems compressor is over 30 years old, it is slow but reliable and has done 100's of inflations, if and when it dies, an ARB is the most likely replacement.
          Very rarely a servo within cooee of me when I need to re-inflate tyres.

cheers, OJ,
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• stevemc181
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • Thornlie/Perth

Mine gets used every time I go off-road, no servos within coo-eye of most places I go, and heading up the highway with 14 or 15 psi in the tyres after a day on the beach just won't work. I also use it to adjust my cold pressures at home.
            Bit hard to repair a tyre when remote without a compressor. One of the essential pieces of off-road equipment I think.
            2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
            3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Scouter1
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2013
              • Sydney NSW

^^^ x3, use it all the time for tyre inflation, & for air locker activation on gnarly tracks. Compressor is a vital piece of off roading equipment.

Watching the 4x4s driving off the barge at Wanggoolba Creek at Fraser Island, those who don't air down get stuck very quickly.

Cheers,
              Stephen
              2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• geopaj
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Adelaide

As above... Mine is constantly used to adjust tire pressures to the conditions when 4wd'ing.

It was also invaluable a few months ago when 4wd'ing and I slide sideways into an embankment and poped a tire off the bead. Having a decent compressor meant I could reseat the tire back onto the rim's bead and continue on the day's adventure with the spare still intacked.
                Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Booā€™s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Hatto
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Mandurah WA

Same here. I always air back up as soon as I leave the beach (or any track I've had to air down for). A servo would have to be within a couple of k's for me to do it there. Trouble I find with servo's is most of them (around here anyway) don't leave their hose out. You've got to go in and get it. And when you do it leaks at the fittings or the guage doesn't work or something. My on board air is a little slow being an old Opposite Lock single cylinder Blue Tounge but bloody convenient. And it never misses a beat. All four tyres up to 40psi if I need to. Wouldn't be without it.
                  Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                  ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• gunsrunner
                    • May 2008
                    • Perth

Same here, most trips it is used. Could not be without it. Tyre pressures are most important for 4x4ing.
                    MY14 VRX 3.2D Auto|OL Premium post bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Int/Sump | Rhino platform 42102B | 2.5x2.1 Oztrail | HD Parkside Hitch | Grande 17x8 | 697 A/T 265/65R17LT | Flexitank 140L | Primus 92L DZone | Rhino Luggage bag | Maxtrax | 10.1" tablet | Redarc SBI12, BCDC1240LV, TowPro | Century N70T | Fullriver DC105-12 | 120w Light bar | 7"HID 100w | CAT3 ERP | ARB CKMA12 | Alpine MRVT1000, MRVF540 | MBQuart DSC216 x 2 | Alpine SWR-1221 x2 | Enough cable, switches to run a city

Comment

• ausGeoff
                      • Nov 2015
                      • Australia

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                      I also use it to adjust my cold pressures at home.....
                      Me too. I never trust the servo's tyre gauges, and my compressor has its own inbuilt pressure gaugeā€”so at the very least it's constant, if maybe a couple psi out.
                      2006 Falcon XR8 BOSS 260 ute.
                      1999 NL Pajero GLS, LWB, 3.5 V6, auto, stock std.
                      [SOLD]

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

first thing we bought when we purchased our 4wd ... (used on every one of our adventures)
                        2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• m_and_m
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                          first thing we bought when we purchased our 4wd ... (used on every one of our adventures)
                          yep, to continue the good advice, I use mine frequently. To me it's the most used 4x4 accessory I've purchased - more than winch, matrix etc etc.
                          As much as the UHF really

Managing correct tyre pressures properly is best advice most can give.

As for waiting for a servo...just imaging a situation where you need to pump it manually....4 wheels... Good luck!
                          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• AJW52
                            • Nov 2015
                            • Perth

Compressor Use

I use minethe opposite way. It's too much trouble to get it out for bikes etc but very necessary for corrugated gravel, rocks and sand. How can you 4WD without airing down?

Comment

• Dicko1
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2014
                              • Cairns, FNQ

With tyre costing around $1300-$1700 (5 tyres) for a complete set, I think being vigilant with your tyre pressures is only common sense. I,ve mounted mine for quick access and convenience on my rear shelf. I also purchase a large top quality compressor for home for the wheel barrow, trolley wheels, car wheels, Harley tyres, trailer tyres, spray gun, balls, lilos etc, etc. Home one gets used a minimum of once a week...
                              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X