Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 20-07-15

Default Snatch attachment for easy access

Hi all I've noticed in a few videos and photos that some drivers keep their snatch attached to the front tow point and run it up over the bar and attach to the roof rack presumably for easy access. Are there negatives to doing this and also is there a particular way of attaching it to your racks?
Old 20-07-15
Valued Member

I think you will find they are only doing this when out on a track they know might need the use of a snatch. Better to have it set up and ready rather than kneeling in the mud, trying to attach it when it's too late.
Old 20-07-15

Yeah I basically figured that but was just wondering for an upcoming trip if I was to do it are there any cons or dangers with having it in place and also what the smartest way is to attach it on my racks.
Old 20-07-15
Valued Member

I think a better way would be to have a short strap connected to BOTH front recovery points and ready to use. Pulling a vehicle with attachment to just the one point is not a smart thing to do. I have one and it is about 6-8 foot with eyes either end. Same as a tree trunk protector. Just tie it up neatly to bulbar when not in use.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more..
Old 20-07-15

Sunlight ruins them so keep that in mind. They need to be stored out of sunlight. Personally I would only do it after Ive needed it, and its covered in mud/wet. Not that its a vampire and will burst into flames if left in the sun for an hour or two, but done regularly, I wonder how much it will shorten their life. Theory is they only have 'X' amount of snatches in them in the first place....hmmmm so if snatched off often, then it probably in the end cant harm them to leave them there. Im fairly sure I read they need to be replaced after about 10 recoveries but of course that would depend on all the circumstances.
Old 20-07-15

I have watched some rather amusing you tube clips where people have attached the snatch strap to the recovery point of their vehicle and put the other end of the strap inside the car (with the door open then jump in and close the door) meaning they have to open the door to retreive the strap for a recovery once they are stuck in meter deep water... yeah dont do that
MY05 NP DID GLS,Custom Front&Rear Bars,Custom Side Steps,EWX Runva Winch,2"lift (Bilsteins&Lovells), Rear Polys,Chip-It Chip with EGT Gauge,Beaudesert Exhaust System, 285/75R16 BFG KM2's,Allied Rims, Custom False Floor & MSA Drop Slide, 80Lt Engel, Safari Snorkel,Rally 4000 HID's,Baja Designs 20" LED Light Bar,Bushskinz Intercooler,Sump&Tranny Plates,4.3 Ratio Diffs,Diff,Tranny&Transfer Breather Kit, Dual Battery System in seat well,ARB Compressor,Cross country TMIC,NM 4M41
Old 20-07-15

Hahaha valid point but mine leaks profusely anyway. Discovered this recently while I had it in short term parking in a dam at my in laws....
Old 20-07-15

Ok now the age old argument about the "recovery point" drivers front on the NJ. Has anyone actually come to a conclusion about the safety of using it for snatching?
Old 21-07-15

Try make sure it is clean or put a rag under it where it's touching your bonnet/bumper etc or u will loose some paint from rubbing
Old 21-07-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Try make sure it is clean or put a rag under it where it's touching your bonnet/bumper etc or u will loose some paint from rubbing
Good point.

most likely to be after being stuck and the likely hood of more trouble in front is high. Once bitten I guess.

Youd have to balance the risk of it catching on scrub and reefing the roof rack off or taking some of the interior with it.