Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 03-03-16

Just my two bobs worth
I bought 2 x 1100mm TREDS when I first got the Paj and hardly needed them, only used them twice.
Before going on a 7 week road trip over Christmas both on and off road with the trailer, (after much deliberating as to whether I needed a 2nd pair) I decided to buy a 2nd pair (just in case).
The first time I needed them when I got stuck with the trailer on, they proved their weight in gold. Used them quite a few more times on the trip as they are quick and easy to use and was very impressed. I have had no probs with cracking or melting lugs.
2010 NT GLS - Maxxis 980 Bravo A/T 275/65R17, ARB Bullbar&Tow Bar Pack, Rhino Rack Platform, Sunseeker II Awning, Milford Cargo Barrier, Sandgrabba Mats,TJM Airtec Snorkel, Dr Air Pro 150L/m, Oricom UHF280, 1100mm TREDS, SPVi EGR Module Mk3.1 Plug and Play, Scorpion Quad Diff Breather Kit, Bushskinz Under Body Protection, Runva 11XP, Red Arc Dual battery Setup, Donaldson Fuel Filter, Rear Cargo Drawers Custom made,Batman Lights
Next Project: Rear Gull Wing windows
Old 25-03-16

I only have two, MaxTrax, and they've always got me unstuck from mud. However, I can see situations where having 4 would be a bonus.

It's just the cost stopping me getting another pair. I'll be sticking with MaxTracks, if I can afford another pair, partly as I know they are good, and partly so they will all stack correctly.

RIP: Lost in 2011 QLD floods - 1995 NK GLX 2.8D, 5-speed Manual. ARB Bullbar, Spotties, Cargo Barrier, Tow Bar, Turbo Timer.
Old 03-06-16
Valued Member

Anyone tried the cheap ones off eBay? 4 1200 long for $165
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181803904308
I've never been in a position where I though gee I wish I had maxtrax so if I buy cheapie a I may never use them anyway.
Old 03-06-16
Valued Member

Hi

Brought Treds and they cracked first use. While at times anything is better than nothing in a recovery position you are already at plan B so often nice if things just work.

Cheers
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 04-06-16

I've had just 2 of the 900mm long treds for going on 4yrs now and can honestly say they've been brilliant. I can count on 2 hands how many times I've used them but they've been more than enough in those situitions. 4 would probably be handier, but unless I start towing a trailer, I think using the winch would be just as easy.
Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.
Old 14-06-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSSAMER View Post
Anyone tried the cheap ones off eBay? 4 1200 long for $165
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181803904308
I've never been in a position where I though gee I wish I had maxtrax so if I buy cheapie a I may never use them anyway.
I haven't tried those particular cheapies, but have had the Aldi ones for a couple of years now. From memory, they were around the $130 mark (for the pair), came with shackles and strapping to join them together for extra length, and seem very solid.
I did a course with a guy who had the Maxtrax and the edges all splintered off both of them on the rocks, making them pretty much junked. If they're likely to break anyway, I'm happy to go cheap

Last edited by serapax; 14-06-16 at 02:42 PM.