Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 05-05-15
Valued Member

Default 2 or 4 Recovery Tracks?

I'm wondering if 2 is enough in most situations on the rear & when have you had to use 4 on all wheels?

The cost & room require for 4 is a turn off for me, unless I knew 4 is really needed.

Old 05-05-15
Valued Member

2 is a good start and will get you out of most situations. Typically,when more are needed there just happens to be other vehicles which have 2 to spare.
Old 05-05-15
Valued Member

Use them under the front wheels if you are trying to move forwards. Because as the 4WD starts to move out of the bog, the back wheels will then catch on the tracks and give you a 2nd dose of traction
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 05-05-15
Valued Member

I got serious stuck in the soft beach sand near Robe.

Without 4 max tracks, and the shovel, I'd be in a new car now.

I keep mine on the roof racks. To me and extra $180 (on special) for a pair of TREDs was worth it.

I guess it ultimately depends on how you use the 4by. My winch was next to useless in that situation.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available
Old 02-03-16
Valued Member

Hi

Used two in mud but trouble is the caught and got spat out. Then mate used his, so then four, and with a Tirfor winch them more progress made.

That left an impression with with my Treds cracking So decided what the hell and brought four MaxTraxs and the matching joiners and pegs.

For the cost it is worth avoiding the potential frustration by having four. Not cheap but heck we spend a fortune on many things for our beasts.

Cheers
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 02-03-16

If you don't buy any you can guarantee that one day soon you will need 4.

If you buy two, you can guarantee that one day soon you will need 4.

If you buy four, you can guarantee that you will never need any!
Twin batteries, FuelManager 30 micron filter, Airtek snorkel, Rhino Pioneer tray, Foxwing awning, TJM bull bar, 9500lb winch, 2" lift + HD progressive rate springs + Polyair bags, 75 litre water tank + electric pump, custom fridge slide, custom drawers
Old 02-03-16
Valued Member

We travel solo quite often and without a winch so 4 Maxtraxs is what we carry. As Dan said if going forward put both sets under the front wheels and if going backwards then both sets under the rear wheels. You can drive from 1 trax to another and keep swapping the trax around so you can leapfrog your way out of very soft and long bogs. For simple short bogs 1 set is fine. 2 sets save you heaps of time on very soft beaches and if the tide is coming in time is critical!

cheers, OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 02-03-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
We travel solo quite often and without a winch so 4 Maxtraxs is what we carry. As Dan said if going forward put both sets under the front wheels and if going backwards then both sets under the rear wheels. You can drive from 1 trax to another and keep swapping the trax around so you can leapfrog your way out of very soft and long bogs. For simple short bogs 1 set is fine. 2 sets save you heaps of time on very soft beaches and if the tide is coming in time is critical!

cheers, OJ.
Good advice, thanks. One day ill have four on roofrack.
Old 02-03-16
Valued Member

I've been thinking about the same problem. I've got a pair of MaxTrax but I'm considering getting a second pair. One option, to save a bit of space and weight, might be to make the second set one of those shorter Treds (790 mm long vs 1080 mm for the long Treds, or 1150 for Maxis). Opinions on a supplementary set of the shorties? Anybody using them?
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 02-03-16
Valued Member

If they are different to what you already have then they will not nest/stack neatly and take up more room. Spend and extra $100 and do it properly!

cheers, OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .