Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 14-03-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo78u View Post
I find the systems in the paj are great in every situation except 2.

Firstly in the sand driving in 4H and having to turn the ASC off every time I restart the car is a pain, a toggle switch that I could flick for 'sand' would be better.

Secondly in the mud the ASC & TC stop you from doing what you need to do to get out. Spinning the wheels clears mud allowing them to grip again and keep cleaning themselves and re gripping.
Both are great points, tho I personally still use 4hlc/4llc on sand below I've linked an interesting article on when/when not to lock the center dif makes some good points on sand and is why I now lock it

http://www.l2sfbc.com/rmp/blog/shoul...e-diff-offroad

Regarding the mud that is pretty much the one time you want all the electronics off and is the reason I put a switch in to my traction control mod (allows me to selectively turn on the traction control when factory rear locker is engaged) by leaving the switch off I can lock the rear dif turn all the electronic aids off and spin wheels to my hearts content

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
Old 16-03-15

Default Rear diff lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabear View Post
Both are great points, tho I personally still use 4hlc/4llc on sand below I've linked an interesting article on when/when not to lock the center dif makes some good points on sand and is why I now lock it

http://www.l2sfbc.com/rmp/blog/shoul...e-diff-offroad

Regarding the mud that is pretty much the one time you want all the electronics off and is the reason I put a switch in to my traction control mod (allows me to selectively turn on the traction control when factory rear locker is engaged) by leaving the switch off I can lock the rear dif turn all the electronic aids off and spin wheels to my hearts content
Hi
My Pajero do not have the factory rear diff lock. i use the vehicle on sand most of the time. Do you think it is worth while to fit something like the ARB rear diff lock?
Regards
Old 17-03-15
Valued Member

I think you will find that, as long as you remember to deflate your tires and turn off ASC, the Pajero even without a rear dif lock is very very good in the sand.

The dif lock is most useful in situations where you are actually picking up wheels off the ground, like going through wombat holes or up/down rocky and rutted hills or steps.

The important thing is to recognise that ASC (stability control) is NOT "traction control".

ASC will impede your progress and cause the vechicle to bog down/cut engine power as soon as you have any wheel slip/spin

Traction control will actually aid your momentum because it only breaks the wheel/wheels that do not have traction thus sending the power to the wheels that do have traction and can actually keep you moving.

Spinning wheels without traction control would quickly dig in and kill any momentum you had as with open difs power is sent out the wheel with the least traction ( the spinning one)

Obviously a locked dif would be better but I would not exactly consider it money well spent IF you are mostly driving on sand.

Factory Rear Diff lock | Modded Traction Control | Hankook RT03 MT LT265/70/17 | Uniden 7760nb UHF | Opposite Lock 3 Loop steel bar with fog lights |Runva EXW12000 | Bushskinz plates and sliders |Ultimate Suspension true 50mm Lift (above factory trim)

Wishlist:
Old 19-03-15

Default Rear Dodd lock

Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Old 28-05-18
Valued Member

Bringing an old thread back to life, I've been trying to make up a spreadsheet to document the interaction between the ATSC switch, rear diff lock and all the drive modes. The table provided in this thread explains it all!

To me, an easy way to remember some of the modes is like this:

RDL on - means the rear wheels are 'locked' together. Seeing as RDL can't be engaged unless you also have the centre diff locked, this means that whenever you have the RDL engaged, ABS and all traction control is disabled (look at the table!)

If you use any locked centre diff modes ABS will always be disabled. < EDIT: WRONG!
3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.

Last edited by Keithyv; 29-05-18 at 04:22 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 29-05-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
...................If you use any locked centre diff modes ABS will always be disabled.

ABS is active at all times except when RDL is turned on
Old 29-05-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
And if you want traction control to be turned on when RDL is on and also have the ability to turn it off whenever, you need my patch loom.

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=54470
^What 'flavour' of TC is on with this hack /loom? Brake control or Engine control?
3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with Light Force Spotties. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.
Old 29-05-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhula View Post
ABS is active at all times except when RDL is turned on
You are correct, I confused myself trying to get my head around the table!
Maybe what I was thinking was If you use any locked centre diff mode then Engine Control is always disabled.
Old 29-05-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
^What 'flavour' of TC is on with this hack /loom? Brake control or Engine control?

Factory. It tricks the ASTC into believing the RDL is on when it is off (to turn TC off) and believe it is off when it is on (to turn TC on).