Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 22-06-13
Valued Member

Been stuck a few times and always got out by digging and if I was too lazy to let the tyres down you have to if stuck. Always got out with some digging and air down.
Standard HT tyres will always be better in sand than a LT type AT, the LT tyres sidewalls are too stiff and don't bag out enough compared to a passenger tyre.
Old 14-08-13
Valued Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Easykill1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by craka View Post
I think that's the first time I've seen a pair of matrax in use. They look to work quite well.
oh they work well, they can also fly good too esp when too much revs is used..

my mate had to use them last year and he gunned it a bit much.. those things flew down the hill.. he got unstack but had to walk down to get them.. i refused to pick them up as he didnt listen and he can go walk.

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)
Old 14-08-13
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Standard HT tyres will always be better in sand than a LT type AT, the LT tyres sidewalls are too stiff and don't bag out enough compared to a passenger tyre.
"Always"?

That is your opinion, to which you are entitled.

Yes, at any given pressure, the weak HT sidewalls will flex more than stronger LT sidewalls.

Yes, more aggressive tyre patterns will dig more readily in sand - HTs will generally spin on the surface rather than dig.

Get the AT pressure right, and they will grip and drive where HTs spin. That is my opinion.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 13-09-13
Unregistered as asked

I think regards sand it's the less aggressive the tread and the bigger the footprint you can lay down the better ........... and any time i've seen a wheel spin on sand the result has always been a hole Like damn if you even pull up to hard in the soft stuff you create one
Old 27-01-14

Couldn't agree more with the above post. Have done alot of sand driving over the years and have always found the less agressive tyres to be the best performers, especially in the soft stuff. Have always wanted to try some of those recovery mats. Might have to invest in a set one day.
Old 27-01-14
Valued Member

Just google searched sand tires
these are the tread paterns that it came up with

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...w=1152&bih=639
Old 27-01-14
Unregistered as asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleriver View Post
Just google searched sand tires
these are the tread paterns that it came up with

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...w=1152&bih=639

Fine if your running a baja buggy .................. on a Paj would be a nice ride getting there ................ not
Old 28-01-14
Valued Member

With tyres I think it's more to do with tyre pressure and footprint than the specific tread in sand. Some do seem to work better than others and there's nothing wrong with HT tyres in sand, but I've seen guys with mud tyres get tons of traction in sand. I don't subscribe to the bagging out theory with passenger construction tyres. From what I've seen LT tyres don't bag out, so the tyres stretches out length wise giving you more of the tyre with the tread on the ground. If it bags out sideways the difference in the amount of rubber on the ground is less than the amount of rubber you get from getting more length on the ground. I think someone posted a thread demonstrating this a while ago, might have been OldJack.

On another note, I've got some Bushranger Xtrax II rubber tracks (rubber alternative to Maxxtrax). I've carried them a lot and only used them once. Long story, but we basically ended up driving down a section we didn't want to drive down and then couldn't get out. There was a very steep sandy section that we needed to drive up. I tried a couple of times but just got to a certain point and started spinning. I dug out the base to lessen the approach angle which let me hit it with a bit more speed and put the Xtrax down on the slope about midway up. I flew up the slope that time with virtually no wheel spin at all. The Xtrax stayed where they were on the slope and provided plenty of traction on the steep section. I don't know how they would have compared to maxxtrax, but they worked pretty well in that situation.

It's actually something I'm curious about, we've got a forum trip down south in Feb that I might see if one of the guys with maxxxtrax is keen to give them a try out next to each other and see how they go. The Xtrax are much easier to carry as they fold up. Plus you can use them folded up in front of rocks or a big incline to lessen the approach/departure angle as well.

Also someone mentioned about digging a hole when you come to a stop in sand. Something I was taught was to not break when coming to a stop. Just take it out of gear and let it coast to a stop. Breaking will build up a bit of a 'bow wave' in front of the tyres that you'll have to climb over when you move off.
2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.
Old 28-01-14
Valued Member

Nik, footprint length link;

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=30236

cheers, old Jack.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 30-01-14
Valued Member

Maxtrax recovery in sand with a Challenger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAUlH1sZrs0