Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 02-12-12
Who ya gunna call....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo007 View Post
I had my car in low range and the ASC light came on the dash as it suppose to do.When I started to come up the ramp the boat trailer was dragging a massive amount of sea weed so my wheels started to spin and the brake peddle started to pulse a lot
How do you know this? You foot would have been on the accelerator
Old 03-12-12
Valued Member

The ASC off switch also changes the TC in that the TC will only use brakes, not cut engine power.

You can install a switch to cut the coil to the ABS relay whic turns everything off ASC, TC and ABS. But to turn back on you have to flick the switch, then restart car. I have this but haven't used for years after I realised you could change the way the TC works with the ASC switch.

I seemed to find on a recent trip in sand that when struggling up sand hills through lack of momentum that it would actually claw up better in 4H than in 4HLC, the TC appeared more effective.....
2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.
Old 03-12-12
Valued Member

Slightly off-topic and I cant remember where I read this but legend has it that in the development stages of the Gen 3 ASC system Japanese engineers were in AU on outback test drives doing calibration of the system with an Australian test driver. The initial calibrations were said to allow much more side slip before intervening however after one vigorous test drive where the driver made the most of the allowed slip and the handling capabilities of the Paj the engineers wound the system back to much more mundane levels.

Pat
Old 03-12-12
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld View Post
The ASC off switch also changes the TC in that the TC will only use brakes, not cut engine power.
One of the most useful things I've read on this forum so far, really good to know.

Quote:
I seemed to find on a recent trip in sand that when struggling up sand hills through lack of momentum that it would actually claw up better in 4H than in 4HLC, the TC appeared more effective.....
This is fascinating; that locking the center diff might actually hinder TC performance in certain situations.
2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam
Old 03-12-12
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwiniandude View Post
This is fascinating; that locking the center diff might actually hinder TC performance in certain situations.
When I was on Fraser I spent a bit of time comparing 4H / 4HLc in rutted sand (i.e. the soft stuff above high tide) I concluded that 4H was more "comfortable" - in 4HLc it seemed to "thrash" from side to side in the ruts, while 4H was happier to ride the rails.

NFI what this has to do with the topic - I simply felt like sharing.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 04-12-12
Valued Member

The 4H v 4HLC was in the circumstance of a couple of times on the sandy tracks at Robe I didn't quite give it enough gas to cruise up and over a sand hill. Got to the point where you lose all momentum and you think time to back down. In 4H it just kept clawing bit by bit and got over, it shocked me, I had never seen any vehicle do this. In 4HLC it wasn't as good. This was on the tracks, not dunes.
2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.
Old 04-12-12
Valued Member

Originally Posted by pauld

One of the most useful things I've read on this forum so far, really good to know. "

I don't think TC cuts the engine power anyway, no matter what mode you are in. It just brakes the spinning wheel so that the power goes to the opposite side wheel and is not lost as wheelspin.

Only the ASC cuts power, AND applys brakes diagonally to straighten the vehicle.
Old 04-12-12

Hi GOODSY, in answer to you query,"how would you know if your foot is on the accelerator" I was on a slopping boat ramp with weed every where and if I took my foot of the accelerator the boat would have dragged me straight down the ramp so I used my left foot to apply brake as soon as I released right foot of accelerator and that's when I felt the brake peddle doing its thing. The problem I had was each wheel was spinning so the brakes seem to have been applied to more wheels then I would have liked. The motor could not power the car up the ramp with 2 or 3 wheels having their brakes on.I think this would be rare in most cases but it happened to me, It's hard for me to put it in writing but I think you might understand what I'm trying to say.
Old 04-12-12
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty View Post
Originally Posted by pauld

One of the most useful things I've read on this forum so far, really good to know. "

I don't think TC cuts the engine power anyway, no matter what mode you are in. It just brakes the spinning wheel so that the power goes to the opposite side wheel and is not lost as wheelspin.

Only the ASC cuts power, AND applys brakes diagonally to straighten the vehicle.
Fair enough, I read that on here at some stage. It does feel like the TC cuts engine power when the ASC switch is on when spinning up a straight slope, but perhaps there has always been enough sideways movement for the ASC to cut the power... Anyway, the outcome is the same, I find the TC very effective when the ASC is off particularly on loose rocky slopes.
I had assumed the TC could cut power also as many cars pre ASC that had TC had the ability to do both.
Old 29-04-13

Quote:

You can install a switch to cut the coil to the ABS relay whic turns everything off ASC, TC and ABS. But to turn back on you have to flick the switch, then restart car. I have this but haven't used for years after I realised you could change the way the TC works with the ASC switch.

hi would this work on a NT if it would which wire?