Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 18-01-16
Valued Member

Default What underbody Protection for Petrol?

I was thinking just the sump & transmission bash plates are needed. Unless I'm missing something obvious? My understanding is the sump protects much of the front? If someone can correct me this thanks.
Are side protection really needed? No experience here. Should I be getting them if I get underbody protection?

Thanks
Old 19-01-16

I only have the sump and transmission on my NP, side steps/bars would be very handy

Old 19-01-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my.paj View Post
I only have the sump and transmission on my NP, side steps/bars would be very handy
Wondering if i need an intercooler as I don't know if petrol has one? But would it protect other areas & be of benefit?

thanks
Old 19-01-16

You dont have a intercooler but I think the NM has a steel plat up front thats good enough.

Old 19-01-16
Valued Member

The factory front plate is hopeless. I have Bushskinz front, home made sump and Bushskinz Trans. Also have a set of custom step/sliders that cop a fair bit of punishment.
What you need is dependent on what sort of driving you do.

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 19-01-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitchi View Post
The factory front plate is hopeless. I have Bushskinz front, home made sump and Bushskinz Trans. Also have a set of custom step/sliders that cop a fair bit of punishment.
What you need is dependent on what sort of driving you do.

Considering 3mmvs 4mm atm. I don't know if 3mm is enough on hard rocky outcrops with all the weight of the 4wd pushing down.

I also wonder about all the other areas that are exposed.

thanks
Old 19-01-16
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru9 View Post
Considering 3mmvs 4mm atm. I don't know if 3mm is enough on hard rocky outcrops with all the weight of the 4wd pushing down.

I also wonder about all the other areas that are exposed.

thanks
Just get a set of Bushskinz. No-one makes anything tougher.

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 21-01-16
Valued Member

Agree I have the whole lot including side steps rear bar protector both intercooler sump transmission and transfer case guards its a lot weight I might add but as mrbitchi said it depends on what driving you plan on doing and how extreme

And yes Bush skins is a top product

So Far Black Widow Draws, Millford Cargo Barrier, Thule Luggage Carrier, Tow kit, Tints, Weather shields, ARB front bar, ARB 2 inch Old Man Emu suspension, Redark 40amp LV dual battery set up STT PRO tyres 275x65x18 Domintor Winch 12000ibs Cree 9 inch LED BushSkinz full protection kit including rear bar protector and side steps TJM snorkel Kings awning

MDC V4 Rear Fold Crusader Camper