Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Techniques

Techniques Winching - Recoveries - Chainsaw Safety - Proper aproach to 4wding etc

Old 23-12-15

Default Winch-wheel

that's looks good, has anyone used this sort of winch ? or why they are not in market these days?

http://speedsociety.com/going-4wd-th...h/?source=farm

cheers

mak
Old 23-12-15

they are still available. they are called the bush winch.

http://www.bushwinch.com.au/shop-products-2/

not sure what they are like. I would also be interested to hear from someone who has used one in the real world.
X-Rox bar with winch on the way,
auxiliary tank, rear air bags,
2micron secondary fuel filter,
turbo timer, HID spots,
LED light bar, UHF radio.
Old 23-12-15

I've just found some info on this
http://www.bushwinch.com.au/

someone says it's US $420 whole kit plus shipping costs, not worth to get one, add $400 more and get electric winch installed.
Old 23-12-15

yeah, me too, what to hear if it works and compatible with the alloy wheels and the rest of stuff anyone can add to it.
Old 23-12-15

I don't like the concept particularly for a solid axle, It would have to put a massive amount of lateral strain on the axle and suspension particularly if only one winch drum is used. Under that scenario the wheel with the drum would want to pull forward (assuming winching from in front of the vehicle) whilst the wheel on the other end of the axle would tend to want to move towards the rear of the vehicle. Obviously if both wheels had drums attached then in that case both wheels would want to head towards the anchor point. Reckon the suspension and relative anchoring points of the drive line are designed to bear the strain of the vehicle and trailer moving and stopping. Clearly a skull drag weight would easily exceed that ie normal winch 10000 pound (about 4500kg) reckon and serious bog would have the axle looking the axles of a matchbox car that's been stood but with nasty toe in rather that a crazy camber.

Think I'll stick with a winch anchored to something engineered to carry the strain not one anchored to the wheels

Last edited by Smiderman; 23-12-15 at 09:42 PM.
Old 23-12-15
Valued Member

The company web site states that the Bush Winch is compatible with alloy wheels, and specifically for a Pajero. But check out the comment by "whizzo" at http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/vi...?f=21&t=122807 (6th comment on the page). Personally, I'm saving up for a Warn and packing my MaxTrax until then.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 24-12-15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiderman View Post
...Under that scenario the wheel with the drum would want to pull forward (assuming winching from in front of the vehicle) whilst the wheel on the other end of the axle would tend to want to move towards the rear of the vehicle...

Think I'll stick with a winch anchored to something engineered to carry the strain not one anchored to the wheels
Agree. You're putting all the applied loading way off centre of the optimal recovery point—ideally along the longitudinal centreline of the vehicle. I can see all sorts of unintended induced skewing stresses in the rear axle/suspension assembly. All looks very Mickey Mouse to me.

And, contrary to what the bloke says in the video, I'd never use one of these things on the front wheels!

Last edited by ausGeoff; 24-12-15 at 07:52 PM.