• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim-oz
    • Aug 2016
    • blayney

Larger tyre size

G;day boys and girls.

My first post on here but been hovering for a long time, superb reading and great site. i have a MY16 GLS with 22,000 k,s on her, love it.

Hopefully some of you can help with this question, i have ordered a set of Coopers ST MAX A/T, the thing is i went up a size- 265/65]/18 from the Std 265/60/18. Very little differance i and the tireman agreed but then i made the mistake of looking on the net.

Differing opinions everywhere, from perfectly fine to disasters, too much strain on drivetrain, handling probs, don't need them, MM knows best and so on, Opinions gratefully accepted!!!

Any problems with scraping the bodywork as well?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim-oz; 20-09-17, 01:53 PM. Reason: mistakes made
  • Merts
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2011
    • Bendigo Vic

If it helps, I went up a size from 245/65r17 to 265/65r17 on my auto MQ Triton with no issues. Torque converter still locks up when it should, and the speedo now reads much closer to correct.

That's about a 3.5% increase in diameter, which is almost exactly the same increase as you are looking at.
    Merts
    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

Hope I am not high jacking here but this morning I saw a Triton with 285/70/16. Appeared to have a massive lift also.

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

No worries Jim

It'll be fine. . Very small increase and all legal
        . Enjoy ..

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Ent
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2014
          • Tasmania

Horses for courses. The older PB/PC rather over geared with the autobox rather underdone with high slip torque converter, so if heavily loaded or towing the taller tyres pushes the friendship.

I have the manual and had no great issue with tyres the next size up until I loaded DooSo up with steel bullbar, winch and rear Kaymar bar. Just means he will not hang in up hills in fifth on cruise control. When loaded to GVM not surprisingly you need to use the gearbox a lot more. On normal size rubber not such a chore as he will climb ok in fifth.

If I leave DooSo in fourth he climbs very well. Probably would in hilly country not be so inclined to go taller in tyre.

The newer model with more gears and better torque converter probably not such an issue.

If it works for you then great. If you plan towing then probably best to stick to standard tyres.
          2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• Jim-oz
            • Aug 2016
            • blayney

Thanks ALL!!

Ended up staying standard size, MM recommended it and not enough extra of anything to take the small risk. Loving the ST MAXX though.
            Cheers Boys

Comment

• misterbishi
              • Aug 2016
              • sydney

Gray mate, just wondering if the up size is a warranty issue with mm? As I wanted to go up to that, to get a little bit more height and sidewall, thanks.

Comment

• Jim-oz
                • Aug 2016
                • blayney

Hi mate, well the short answer is 'yes, it can be' that was from 2 different people at MM including my local service manager at dealership and certainly will affect warranty if some problems are caused by the upsize. I noticed while searching, all manufacturers say the same thing

In the end i thought 'why bother' for the small increase and certainly the net is full of reasons not to but very few saying 'go ahead, absolutly no problems'.

Jim

Comment

• misterbishi
                  • Aug 2016
                  • sydney

Thanks mate

Gay all, it's a shame that there is a risk because with the small lift I have the standard rubber is so small, just wait for warranty to finish and by then the variety of rubber will be more and more reasonable cost wise! Thanks and cheers.

Comment

• phicks
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • melbourne

HI Jim, we've fitted 275/65/18 onto standard height (and lifted) Pajero Sport with no problems scraping.
                    Speedo still sits under as well (99km when showing 100k on speedo).
                    NX Pajero GLS. Service Manager at Chadstone Mitsubishi.

Comment

• Jim-oz
                      • Aug 2016
                      • blayney

Originally posted by phicks View Post
                      HI Jim, we've fitted 275/65/18 onto standard height (and lifted) Pajero Sport with no problems scraping.
                      Speedo still sits under as well (99km when showing 100k on speedo).
                      Thanks mate and again to all that replied. You certainly sound experienced and knowledgeable, wish i had spoken to you first. However, i heard all sorts of things while looking what to do.

CoG problems
                      Electronics- S/C, TC, TORQUE CONVERTER AND THE LIST WENT ON!!
                      Accident/insurance etc

There were other things as well, forgotten a bit of what i looked at. Funny thing is, i don't think it would have been a problem either but nobody i asked 'in the know' knew for sure. in fact those who did say something were all in the negative. So, i did not bother to take the tiny risk involved.

Thanks again

Jim

Comment

• L901149
                        • May 2020
                        • Qld

I went for the 275/70R18 Cooper AT3 while lifting my PS Exceed.
                        Beware, the FCM will have a conniption and go into error, as the car will detect an excessive size tire.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by L901149 View Post
                          I went for the 275/70R18 Cooper AT3 while lifting my PS Exceed.
                          Beware, the FCM will have a conniption and go into error, as the car will detect an excessive size tire.
                          Factory size 265/60R18 is 775mm in diameter, the 275/70R18 is 843mm so 68mm larger in diameter.
                          This is an illegal fitment in all states of Australia and I am surprised this size tyre is not rubbing on the body when the suspension is compressed and there is 3/4 steering lock applied.

OJ.
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Old pops
                            • Aug 2020
                            • United Kingdom

I’ve got 265 65r18 bfgs on mine no problems but it does have an ome suspension kit on it

Comment

• old Jack
                              Regular
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Old pops View Post
                              I’ve got 265 65r18 bfgs on mine no problems but it does have an ome suspension kit on it
                              A suspension upgrade makes no difference to the tyre clearance because all you are doing is changing the rested ride height and not thesiupensiom travel.

INcreasing the tyre profile from 60 to 65 adds 26.5mm to the overall diameter of the tyre so from 775mm diameter to 801.5mm diameter, so 13.25mm to the radius and this is what effects the clearance.

OJ.
                              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X