• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drof
    • Sep 2010
    • South Australia

Concealed Tow Bars - Tyre Clearances?

Hi All,

I'm in the process of pulling the trigger on a new PS and need some user feedback on spare tyre clearance for specific tow bar options.

I need to fit a towbar and have already ruled out the MM factory option for looks/departure concerns.

The two options I'm considering are:
    1. Hayman Reece
    Hayman Reese designs, manufactures, tests and distributes vehicle towing systems including towbars, weight distributing hitches, sway controllers, cargo barriers and a wide range of accessories.

2. Milford/Hall (similar design as HR but $100's cheaper)
    Whether you're in the market for a standard duty or heavy duty towbar, Hall Towbars has you covered as one of the most trusted names in Towbars in Adelaide.

Both meet my requirements for looks/departure concerns.

However, can someone please confirm what the spare tyre clearance is with these bars? I'm looking at increasing tyre size from factory 265/60R18 to 265/65/R18, which is only +13mm in radius, but I cannot confirm from suppliers if there is sufficient clearance (I don't want to install the bar then be stuck with factory spare sizing). There must be users with these bars fitted that have tried fitting larger size spares?

Is so, can you please confirm the tow bar you have installed and the spare tyre size you have successfully fitted. Any other findings/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Drof

PS - Apologies if this is hidden away in another thread somewhere - tried searching but didn't find anything confirming specific tyre clearances.
    Last edited by drof; 11-07-17, 05:53 PM.
  • drof
    • Sep 2010
    • South Australia

Did a bit of research on the PS Facebook page and there are people who are successfully running 265/65R18 spares (K02s) with the HR towbar. Clearances are tight, but no rubbing etc. Any bigger though would appear to problematic with HR towbar - MM or no towbar could allow larger.

I'll report back with my own findings post installs.

If looking for some of the discussion on the FB page, searching for 265/65R18 should get some of the posts.

Drof

Comment

• damos75
      • Aug 2016
      • Sydney

Dont forget that the way the spare is release and drawn back up is via a chain, it will give you some wiggle room if it is a little tight.
      2016 Pajero Sport GLS
      ARB Summit Bar
      ARB Intensity AR 32's
      Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform
      BFG AT's
      BushSkinz
      Dobinsons Raised Springs & Shocks

Comment

• Flying
        • Jul 2016
        • Sydney

Did you find out any more or install anything Drof? Did you go with HR or the other option? I am looking at exactly the same thing and had also come across this option, but no useful answers about tyre width issues...

$870 installed seems pretty good?

I guess this raises another question.. is there any real reason everyone seems to choose HR? Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with these smaller suppliers? Does anyone know a decent place to get a HR bar installed at a reasonable cost in Sydney?
        White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• greig
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2010
          • kanwal

Originally posted by Flying View Post

I guess this raises another question.. is there any real reason everyone seems to choose HR? Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with these smaller suppliers? Does anyone know a decent place to get a HR bar installed at a reasonable cost in Sydney?
          HR seem to be the one that does a fair bit of R&D on their bars, so quality should be one of the best.
          Don't live in Sydney, but ring a few towbar installers and get a few prices. When I had one installed on a PB, his supply and install price was only approx $110 dearer than the listed bar price ( the MM loom was already installed )

Comment

• drof
            • Sep 2010
            • South Australia

Did you find out any more or install anything Drof? Did you go with HR or the other option? I am looking at exactly the same thing and had also come across this option, but no useful answers about tyre width issues...
            Still going through the process of getting the vehicle sorted, but yes, from a number of accounts on the Facebook page, you can get 265/65R18 in behind the HR bar if you push it forward a bit as winding it up.

I'm actually second guessing whether to go up to 265/65R18 which seem to be a little limited in choice, or stick with the 265/60R18 of which just about everything is available in and more likely to come across if stuck somewhere...
            Last edited by drof; 19-07-17, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

17" Triton rims fit so I would be pushing the dealer for a rim swap if Iwas buying new. Cheaper tyres and a wider selection in 17".

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ent
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2014
                • Tasmania

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                17" Triton rims fit so I would be pushing the dealer for a rim swap if Iwas buying new. Cheaper tyres and a wider selection in 17".

OJ.
                I knew there was a reason I brought five current model Triton rims Planning for DooSo's retirement Currently sitting in their boxes. Ok, it was a really good deal as Triton owner brought new wheels that were fitted at the dealler and I thought what the heck.
                2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• drof
                  • Sep 2010
                  • South Australia

Got our PS.

HR towbar and Geolander G015 265/65R18 fitted pre delivery.

Can confirm 265/65R18 spare fits behind the HR towbar.

Drof

Comment

• Flying
                    • Jul 2016
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by drof View Post
                    Got our PS.

HR towbar and Geolander G015 265/65R18 fitted pre delivery.

Can confirm 265/65R18 spare fits behind the HR towbar.

Drof
                    Nice to know, thanks Drof. Just out of interest, do these concealed bars reduce ground clearance height underneath them?
                    White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• greig
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • kanwal

Nice to know, thanks Drof. Just out of interest, do these concealed bars reduce ground clearance height underneath them?
                      No. Not in any way !

Comment

• ricksta75
                        • Jul 2017
                        • St Agnes

I'm currently running a HR tow bar and BFG 265/65/r18 with no issues
                        2015 QE Pajero sport, TJM snorkel, 4wdsystems steel bullbar, BFG AT KO2, catch can, diesel filter, EGR blank, projecta dc dc charger, twin 80ah thumpers, redarc tow pro elite HR tow bar, thule roof racks and rola basket

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X