Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

First Post - not again...another surging NS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hickjo
    • Jun 2017
    • Brisbane

First Post - not again...another surging NS!

Hi all,
    Bought my first Pajero a month ago.. an NS VRX auto TD with a lift and dual batteries and I absolutely love it. Read up on the forum before buying so knew what was coming.
    Noticed the old surging about a week in (swear not there on the short drive before buying!!) on slight acceleration but the shit fuel economy was the real concern. Took it to my trusty and knowledgeable mechanic bud and he found the EGR and inlet manifolds absolutely choked....worst he'd seen he reckons. Acid bathed and blasted and SCV checked (clean as apparently!) put back together and she's like a new car with an extra 200k's from a tank....but surging still there and probably more prominent than before.
    Heard of other potential causes like sensors and stretched timing chains but one thing I would like feedback on is whether an NT throttle body could cause this issue as my engine has one fitted for some reason. Either way I've decided that when the finances are in order I'm fitting a quality catch can and getting the EGR blanked and ECM moduled.....I'm in this for the long haul and my research suggests this is the way to go if done properly by experienced techs.
    Anyone have feedback on Performance 4x4 in Capalaba here in Brissy? They appear to have a great rep online and I have spoken with them at length and they have been incredibly patient in explaining options for breathing a bit of life into the Paj without going balls out stupid.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    NS VR-X TD Auto, Lovells Gas Legends S3 with King Springs, Dual batteries SBI12D Isolator, Tow Pro 2, OzTrek Soft Floor CT
  • zoom
    • Apr 2017
    • Sydney

Suction control valve EBAY will be your friend

Comment

• hickjo
      • Jun 2017
      • Brisbane

Thx zoom...so having it off cleaned, refitted, relearned and not throwing codes on the scan equipment it can still be stuffed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      NS VR-X TD Auto, Lovells Gas Legends S3 with King Springs, Dual batteries SBI12D Isolator, Tow Pro 2, OzTrek Soft Floor CT

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

I'd defo change to SCV regardless mate..........i did mine this week, although i didnt have any surge issues with mine at 200000kms i decided to do it anyway as a service item. Ebay genuine for $110.

Got my paj NS swb with 185000kms on it.........cleaned the intake myself, did the resistor mod, installed catch can, took off and cleaned out intercooler.......and touch wood all good to date.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Can't help re surging, but be sure to check with a Mitsi dealer if there are any recalls outstanding on your car, eg, timing chain tensioner, air bags, indicator multi switch, etc. (these are at no charge). Also advise MMAL that you now own the car, for any future recalls, etc. (this can be done online)
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• hickjo
            • Jun 2017
            • Brisbane

aussieintas it sounds like you should treat the SCV as a disposable item...no biggy at $110 if you get a bunch of K's out of 'em. The OEM's can't be that good given all the probs reported. Is there an aftermarket brand that is considered better than others?
            spot01 I was wondering how long recalls lasted...if the previous owners didn't bother what time period will MMA allow for an owner to get the car in?

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by hickjo View Post
              aussieintas it sounds like you should treat the SCV as a disposable item...no biggy at $110 if you get a bunch of K's out of 'em. The OEM's can't be that good given all the probs reported. Is there an aftermarket brand that is considered better than others?
              spot01 I was wondering how long recalls lasted...if the previous owners didn't bother what time period will MMA allow for an owner to get the car in?

No time limit on recalls - still free for you - just phone a dealer & quote your VIN. Some of the airbags are only being replaced now as parts become available. The timing chain tensioner recall should be checked asap in case damage is occurring (rare, but there have been a few faulty ones).
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

Cant recommend an aftermarket one but for me 200000kms im pretty happy to replace regardless as a service item. Im no expert but I believe that SCV most likely fail due to debris in them from the fuel.

Im one of those guys that would rather replace something before it breaks, hence why I changed mine even though it wasnt showing any symptoms.

Regarding recalls, they are basically indefinitely. What j did when i bought mine last year was go on line through the mitsi australian website and up date owner details for car. You can also call dealership with vehicle VIN and they will look for you an database if there's any outstanding recalls to be done.
                2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• hickjo
                  • Jun 2017
                  • Brisbane

Outstanding advice guys thanks. The knowledge base in this forum is worth it's weight in gold!

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

Do the 50 cent resistor mod asap...cheap and easy---especially now your manifold is clean..keep it that way...
                    Last edited by Dicko1; 08-07-17, 07:35 AM.
                    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Seigried
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2016
                      • brisbane

Hi Hickjo. The NT manifold was replaced on NS's as it relocates the vacuum line to the MAP sensor to the upper manifold. This slows down how quickly its impacted from soot build up. The NS manifold MAP sensor location meant people were getting problems early in the cars life from soot build up.

As for a catch can I recently managed to get two mann-hummel provent 200's. One from another forum member (Thanks Chainsaw!) And the other from Brisbane filters at Brendale with all the hoses, taps and hose clamps for less than $200. I oppted to make my own bracket.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• zoom
                        • Apr 2017
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
                        Hi Hickjo. The NT manifold was replaced on NS's as it relocates the vacuum line to the MAP sensor to the upper manifold. This slows down how quickly its impacted from soot build up. The NS manifold MAP sensor location meant people were getting problems early in the cars life from soot build up.

As for a catch can I recently managed to get two mann-hummel provent 200's. One from another forum member (Thanks Chainsaw!) And the other from Brisbane filters at Brendale with all the hoses, taps and hose clamps for less than $200. I oppted to make my own bracket.

Why 2 ?

Comment

• zoom
                          • Apr 2017
                          • Sydney

In the past I dismantled and checked everything I could on my faulty SCV and came to the conclusion its the coil inside the valve that breaks down its not a contamination and dirt problem that causes SCV to play up.

Comment

• Seigried
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2016
                            • brisbane

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                            Why 2 ?
                            NS and NW however the provent can be connected in series too.

Comment

• zoom
                              • Apr 2017
                              • Sydney

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
                              NS and NW however the provent can be connected in series too.

Sorry Im totally lost Your going to fit 2 cans and they will be in series ????????? WHY 2. ??????

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X