• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ent
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2014
    • Tasmania

2007 Ford Ranger tyre advice.

After some feedback on a non Mitsubishi tyre choice for the Simpson Desert Trip. Friend has a 2007 Ford Ranger running 245x70x16" tyre as standard. The rim is 7" with 6 stud standard PCD. No idea on the offset, think -10mm.

The 2004 Triton is running 265x75x16 no problems. The Ranger has a proper low low ratio unlike MMAL's hyper-drive in the Pajeros and Challengers. My Challenger will be running 235x85x16 tyres.

An Australian tyre diameter calculator gives an increase of 50.2mm from standard to 265x75x16 tyre size. Two inches is 50.8mm. Ok VSB is 50mm or is that a metric two inches? I would like her to run them so wheels can be shared (subject to hub diameter and offset issues). The Triton runs rims from the older (1980's Patrol as my brother only trusts steel wheels).

Now the Ranger owner was flogged Goodyear 245x70x16 about two years back as they are a brilliant AT tyre so the tyre place claimed. Err? They were passenger tyre construction, not LT versions, and price was stupid as it was LT price. Yes my friend is a girl and the place she went to just love being alpha males, by that no brains and all BS. Actually the place is prats even to males. I avoid them but she has a soft spot for them as they discount of retail. The simple fact retails is stupidly high does not matter.

So anyone out there with a Ranger that runs taller tyres on the standard 7" wide alloy rim?

Cheers.
    2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
  • Lost1
    • Dec 2013
    • Melbourne

From memory the engine in that model Ranger produced similar torque to the ML Triton, so there should be no issues with performance. 265/75x16 LT would fit on the 7 inch rim and she would have a broader range of brands to choose from in that size. For me the question would be which tyre in that size should I buy.
    09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• Wicks747
      • Oct 2014
      • Alice Springs

I think they main issues you run into with that size tyre is the spare fittment. I've read that is gets too close to the exhaust. Some require a slight bend of the tip to fit.
      Sold 2004 PA Challenger
      Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

• Ent
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2014
        • Tasmania

Fitting spare. Had not thought of that aspect. Thanks for that.
        2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• NJV6
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2010
          • New Zealand

I ran 265/70r16 on std rims and the front bumper and front mudflap would just touch at lock either way so I think 265/75 would require a lift. Gearing was fine except I needed low range on a steep driveway when cold to save the clutch due to the high low gear and even higher reverse gear. I had a switch to disengage the front axle for these situations.
          1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
          1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
          2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X