• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

My Sand Flag Solution.

$120 for a Sand Flag. It's stick, with a flag on top.
    Maybe if I was financially better off, I would view it differently, or maybe if I was better with my head than my hands.

I went to BCF and bought a 12.5mm Fiberglass Tent Pole Repair Kit and something make a flag out of.
    The tent poles are held together with Bundgy cord, probably fine if you are driving around the beach, but not much good if the dunes are covered with mallee trees. As you can imagine, the poles pull apart.

So I came home and thought about it. What I came up with is not exactly original, but I think it will solve my problem of the poles pulling apart.

With the help of a good friend of mine, we made these Aluminium Joiners up, then I Tapped & Threaded the 12mm male & female, and then polished them up. They are a good fit so a bit of Epoxy has made them rock solid.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ticky; 21-03-17, 10:10 PM.
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Fancy pants.
    I ditched the bungie cord and drilled a small hole across at the join, and put a small hitch pin clip through. And it worked like a treat across the Simpson and at over 80kph.
    Yours is much more 'polished'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

But yours is proven and mine is a prototype

It was a fun project, and the polishing was a bit of a learning curve.

I have a woodwork lathe at home but I needed to hold the polished end without marking it, so I made a Plastic Collet.
      Attached Files
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• littleriver
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2013
        • Queensland

We used an old fishing rod , zip ties and electrical tape with pre ordered flag from birdsville .. fitted on roof rail to specs ..

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• gemster
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Gold Coast

Telescopic Surf Rod from Fleabay.... $10...

Gemster....
          YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
          And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
          ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• twisted32
            • Jan 2015
            • Adelaide

Now you just need an excuse to test it out...😉
            MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• ticky
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by twisted32 View Post
              Now you just need an excuse to test it out...😉
              Your not wrong mate. Havent been out for a while

Comment

• mrbitchi
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Brisbane

LOL, love a good project, but if you worked out how much time you spent on it it probably cost way more than $120.
                Cheers, John.
                LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• uditha
                  • Oct 2015
                  • Carigieburn, Vic

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                  LOL, love a good project, but if you worked out how much time you spent on it it probably cost way more than $120.
                  You're ruining the pleasure of achievement, mate
                  2002 Pajero NM Exceed, 3.5Lt, 5 SP Auto
                  Uniden UH7760NB CB Radio, 20" Slim LED Light Bar, Kings Awning, Stock size A/T tyres

Comment

• ticky
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2015
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                    Maybe, I dont work very fast these days.

Some people have more money than time, others have more time than money. And besides, it was a fun project.

The actual machining of the parts takes about 30seconds each. the threading takes a bit of time and the polishing also takes time. Also, writing the program for the CNC Lathe took time, but on the upside, if i ever need anymore, it would be a lot quicker now.

Down side... They are pretty solid so I'm hoping I will never need anymore. The Aluminium is about 18mm tapering down to about 12.5mm & the threads are 12mm as well. I use the 12.5mm fiberglass poles, so I reckon it should do the trick.

Still, It will need a proving trip

Steve

Comment

• mrbitchi
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by ticky View Post
                      Maybe, I dont work very fast these days.

Some people have more money than time, others have more time than money. And besides, it was a fun project.

The actual machining of the parts takes about 30seconds each. the threading takes a bit of time and the polishing also takes time. Also, writing the program for the CNC Lathe took time, but on the upside, if i ever need anymore, it would be a lot quicker now.

Down side... They are pretty solid so I'm hoping I will never need anymore. The Aluminium is about 18mm tapering down to about 12.5mm & the threads are 12mm as well. I use the 12.5mm fiberglass poles, so I reckon it should do the trick.

Still, It will need a proving trip

Steve

Don't get me wrong mate. I hate spending money where it's not necessary and seeing you have the gear to make one then go for it. My first sand flag was a telescopic Squid pole I picked up for about $30. Since then I've been given an ARB pole. It's a single piece pole so a bit of a pain to transport when not using it, but the price was right.
                      Cheers, John.
                      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• 1533rl
                        • Jun 2007
                        • armadale wa

Cheap as chips sand flag

Another variation of the cheap and effective sand flag !
                        Bought a gopher safety flag from a local bike shop $12, added a couple of old air compressor fittings, and up it goes.
                        The plastic pole is 6mm and fits into the compressor fittings as if it were made to, brazed a bolt into the male piece to secure on the roof rails.
                        Nagivator reckons my new "paj pher" is a bit wide for the supermarket ailse though.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X