• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Onyx,

The rear coils PN 2910 are the lightest ARB/OME make with a free height of 370mm to 390 mm and a progressive spring rate of 150/260 lbs/in and these are giving you an empty ride height of 595mm EBH but when you are loaded up and have the camper hooked on, ride is reduced to 550mm/555mm EBH.

Fitting Peddars 5899 will help with controlling deep compression but these only come into play at EBH 535mm or less, and will not assist you earlier in your suspension compression or effect your static ride height. You would need a 30mm spacer under the 5899'S for them to give you the desired ride height when loaded but by doing this you will decrease the rear axle articulation off road.

Next spring from ARB/OME is PN 2938, 390mm to 400mm free length and a progressive spring rate of 205 to 290 lbs/in these will lift your empty ride height up you over 610mm and you could get driveline vibration at 35kph to 45kph and this would also increase you rake angle from 30mm to 45mm so this could cause ASCTC issues also. ARB/OME next spring up is a PN 2838 and it has a free heigh of 410mm to 420mm and the same spring rate as the 2938 of 205 to 290 lbs/in. So these would increase you empty ride height to to about 630mm and give a 50mm to 65mm rake so these are way too stiff.

Your requirement of empty EBH 595mm and 25mm to 30mm of suspension compression with 100kg cargo and 160kg towball (is actually about 325kgs of total load on the rear coils) is very hard to achieve and I do not know of a coil that will do this.

If anyone can make a spring that will do this it will be a Kings tapered wire progressive rate coil but I do not have all the technical data on these springs (yet) to do the calculations and advise. I am waiting on this info from Kings as "Apollo" also has similar requirements and this is very difficult (if at all possible) to achieve. "Ent" has custom medium duty TWPR King coils fitted to his Challenger and is about to fit heavy duty custom TWPR King coils in prep for GVM loads on his Simpson crossing and medium duty of the custom coils maybe the solution.

As much as it pains me to say, fitting airbags may be your only solution at this stage.

Sorry I cannot be of more help at the moment ("Apollo" has been waiting months for a solution).

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Onyx
      • Mar 2015
      • ACT

Thanks OJ. Really appreciate the response, the info is really helpful.
      MY14 PC Manual - XROX bar, Runva 11XP winch, OME suspension, Basha plates, diff breathers extended, MM tow bar, Safari snorkel, Triton GLX-R wheels and Toyo OPATII 265/65 R17, OEM wheels and Hankook Dynapro MT 265/75 R16 for fun.

Comment

• coughy
        Valued Member
        • May 2014
        • Redlands Brisbane QLD

onyx
        m8 just put the pedders cones in m8 you wont be upset that is all you will have to do
        i have 595 ride height like you with a 2t van on the back which will have a heavy ball weight i will weigh on the week end now i remember about it and it dont drop much car is still levelish i haven't had the exact tape on it but pedders cones fixed my saggy rear end and there is no purposing anymore
        and it is the cheapest solution and you will still use them if you choose to go other springs
        My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
        New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• CC2005
          • Sep 2011
          • Mornington Peninsula

I, with some other have numerous posting in regard to OME Springs, I personally have had several sets. I have learnt a bit, not a lot, along the way.

OME; their recommended springs "with a bullbar and winch" are way too heavy, the ride is shite with the Nitrocharger Sports struts fitted. Their 200-400 combination is much more compliant for off road use, yet still not so nice with the Nitrochargers fitted -O2-SR5 knows this also, too well. The 2938 rears are much better than the 2838's in my opinion. I have multiple postings about this.

But, the rears with 2938 will still provide a harsh ride if you have less than 300kg in the back. My EBH in the rear is 607mm at 260kg rear weight....573mm at 435kg rear weight - as per the link-one of my many.

Even now unloaded (still with several hundred+ kgs onboard) it rides like my SS, not what it should ride like.
          Last edited by CC2005; 25-08-17, 07:53 AM.
          PB MY11 LS 4D56 - auto, with stuff.

Comment

• 02-SR5
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2010
            • Toowoomba

Very true.

Their sports shocks are way to hard.

Best thing I did was replace it with a new Triton as I could never get the Challenger to ride nice and tow without sh1tting its self all the time.

I'm now running a combo of Bilstiens and Kings Springs and couldn't be happier.
            MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• Rexxo
              • Dec 2014
              • Western Australia

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
              Very true.

Their sports shocks are way to hard.

Best thing I did was replace it with a new Triton as I could never get the Challenger to ride nice and tow without sh1tting its self all the time.

I'm now running a combo of Bilstiens and Kings Springs and couldn't be happier.
              Slightly off thread.. I might add 02-SR5 that I am loving the Bilstiens that I purchased off you!! Miles ahead of the crap Mitsubishi fitted standard... Hope the new Triton serves you better than the Challenger did. When we were having the "low boost" cutting out problem before Mitsubishi fixed it under warranty, the thought had crossed my mind to trade it too.
              2012 PB LS Auto: Sold

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X