Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Photos - You and your rig!

Photos - You and your rig! Show off your rig and your mods.

Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

Default Geopaj's Paj (NT VRX)

First, a bit of background.

For approximately 10 years, I had an NL. (Photo taken in Nov '14)

Absolutely loved the NL. It was set up for outback touring (ARB bulbar, tinted windows, UHF, 20L water tank, lift, LT tires, winch, roof rack, & awning, cargo barrier, HID Hellas, 55L sub tank, DIY rear storage unit, dual batteries, etc.)

In the NL we did many, many camping trips and outback runs (we love outback touring) including the following trips (from Adelaide);
+ up the Oodnadatta Track to Dalhousie Springs.
+ Birdsvilee Track to Birdsville.
+ to Inniminka via the old Bore Track. Home via Streslecki Track. (Inc visits to the Dig Tree and Will's grave).
+ many trips to the northern Flinders Ranges and Akaroola.
+ Simpson Desert crossing in 2014 (including towing camper trailer). Simpson crossing included 3 weeks exploring outback Queensland and the dinosaur sites.

At 340,000km, without every experiencing ANY major mechanical issues (besides regular maintenance, only had to replace 1 water pump & 2 alternators), I decided it was time to upgrade.

After looking at Patrols and Prados, I thought 'after having such a good run out of the NL, why wouldn't I buy another Pajero?'. So I did

I bought a NT I found for sale privately very CHEAP, so bought it. I then sold the NL to another forum member (after removing the roof rack, lights, awning, and winch - everything else I left on the NL).

Thread index;
links are just shortcuts to the relevant page - you may have to scroll down to find the relevant post
Cargo Barrier

17" Rims

Ultragauge MX

Hard mounted compressor

LED rear work light

Auto trans aux cooler

UHF

In car winch control & TC/diff lock mod

Driver's footrest

Solar screens

DIY Rock Tamers

Roof rack

Rear drawers

DIY sand flag

Dual battery voltage monitor

Chip

Bull bar swap

Canvas seat covers

UHF antenna mount

DIY portable LED camp light

Jerry can rubbish bin conversion

MMCS replacement

LED daylight running lights

rear locker | dual battery | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | HID Hella spotties | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | BFG AT's (on 17" NT rims) | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Last edited by geopaj; 08-07-17 at 10:52 PM.
Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

So here's the NT as it was purchased in November 2014.

(This is actually a photo from the seller's advert.

Besides being in good condition with a perfect service history (and cheap), the original owner had spent a heap on the NT to set it up for outback touring with the following;
+ quality 50mm/2" lift
+ ARB Sahara Bar
+ Safari snorkel
+ Tigerz11 winch
+ Hella Rallye 4000 spot lights
+ custom made aluminium 80L diesel tank in the rear seat well
+ custom made aluminium boat loader (including custom mounts including internal roof bracing)
+ ARB dual batteries (with Anderson plug at rear of vehicle)
+ rear airbags
+ heavy duty towbar
+ Cooper tires (2 new, but 2 needing replacement)
+ plus all the VRX features such as factory rear air locker & privacy tint

rear locker | dual battery | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | HID Hella spotties | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | BFG AT's (on 17" NT rims) | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Last edited by geopaj; 22-08-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

Since buying the NT I've been on a few forum trips. Quite a few people have been interested in the sub tank setup so I thought I'd post a pic.

It has a usable capacity of 80Ltrs.

It uses a 'standard/commercial' dual filler from Brown Davies (or maybe LRA? - I forget) and a solid state fuel pump to transfer fuel into the main tank. Exactly the same as when I set up the sub tank in the NL.

My Build Thread - HERE

Last edited by geopaj; 06-09-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

Cargo Barrier

Within the first week of ownership, the modifications and improvements started.

Modification number 1 was (in my opinion), the most important - installation of a cargo barrier...

As with most things I do, I chose to install it myself to save money and so I know it's done correctly.

I also swapped the Tigerz11 winch for my good quality American made Superwinch of the NL.

My Build Thread - HERE

Last edited by geopaj; 22-08-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

Looks great the NL that is! NT looks great too.

What are your thoughts on the fixing of the barrier to the handle holds? I know they say they are titanium screws and all but.. additionally the I've found the large bolts can loosen after corrogations.

I'm interest on where you 22litre water tank sits?
Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
Looks great the NL that is! NT looks great too.

What are your thoughts on the fixing of the barrier to the handle holds? I know they say they are titanium screws and all but.. additionally the I've found the large bolts can loosen after corrogations.

I'm interest on where you 22litre water tank sits?
Thanks. The NL was great. I was sad to let it go but one has to move on/upgrade eventually.

I too have found that corrugations will rattle any bolt/screw loose . I now always use locktite or nylock nuts on EVERYTHING.

As for using the grab handle mounts. I thought about it for a while but this was the recommended installation method (in an accident, even if the top mounts weren't installed, the seat and bottom mounts would stop the cargo barrier moving forward.

The water tank is installed against the cargo barrier in wasted space behind my fridge. Stay tuned for this 'instalment'.

My Build Thread - HERE

Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

Shortly after buying the NT, a mate dropped round to give me a map he found.

No a vehicle mod, but definately a cool addition...

It's a genuine Mitsubishi Pajero road map of Australia with a Pajero poster on the back. I've never seen another one!

My Build Thread - HERE

Last edited by geopaj; 22-08-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

17" Wheels & Tires

As stated above, it needed two tires. I thought it would be easiest to buy 2 Coopers to match the near new ones on the front. Nearly died at the price quoted by my favoured tire shop - $440 each (IIRC) - $880 for two and Cooper didn't have a light truck tire in 18". I also always like to take a 2nd spare when outback touring so would need to buy an additional 18" rim (maybe $400? so $1,280 total?? - and I wouldn't even have LT tires)

As luck would have it, another forum member wanted to sell their 17" NT GLS rims ($400 for 4) AND Bridgstone had 17" AT LT tires on special for $259 each. My tire shop price matched so I had a set of genuine 17" rims with new LT tires for $1,400, and I now can use my 18" rims with the Coopers for my 1st & 2nd spare.

My Build Thread - HERE

Last edited by geopaj; 22-08-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

When we bought the NT, we made a 'pact' that the NT is a 4x4, and therefore should be used in exactly the same way as the NL (I figure if it's not going to get use if it's intended purpose, you might as well buy something cheaper to run!).

On it first 4wd trip (10/1/15 - about 8 weeks after purchase ), while having a red hot go at claiming a sand dune, I slid into a sand bank .

I was sure that the rear quarter should have been dented but, thankfully, it just rolled the tire off the bead... (The mates I was with still found it pretty funny though)

Then on the second trip (23/5/15) I managed to bend the side step. Bugger - the NL must have had more clearance (yes, I know some damage eventually is inevitable if your actually using a 4wd off-road).

Removed the step and straightened it but then couldn't re-install it as the mounts nolonger lined up. In the end I had to make a custom press to be able to press the step while still mounted on the vehicle.

Thankfully it came up ok in the end

I only ever had one off road 'incident' in the NL in 10 years... Here's hoping that my luck improves.

My Build Thread - HERE

Last edited by geopaj; 22-08-15 at 05:03 PM.
Old 22-08-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geopaj View Post
Shortly after buying the NT, a mate dropped round to give me a map he found.

No a vehicle mod, but definately a cool addition...

It's a genuine Mitsubishi Pajero road map of Australia with a Pajero poster on the back. I've never seen another one!

image hosting free

adult image

photo upload
Legend has it that whomever is possession of this map is obliqued to "travel to each & every corner of it in search of enlightenment". Apparently you can't get bogged either.