Below Nav Bar

Collapse

NM NP Steel winch bar. Interchangeable custom fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-RAD
    • Feb 2014
    • Cliftleigh

NM NP Steel winch bar. Interchangeable custom fit?

G'day all. I have just purchased an 03 NP Exceed and want to fit a steel winch bar. I have looked at all my options and it seems as though the only steel bars currently available are MCC and ARB. I think the MCC looks a lot better than the ARB although I have read on here that the finish isn't up to scratch and the mounting points are rubbish. The ARB bar is pricey and I'm not too madly wrapped in the look of it due to not having the provision for the factory fitted fog lights on the Exceeds. Ideally Ironman winch cars look great for other makes and models although they don't make them for the Paj. Has anybody fitted a steel winch bar from another make and model if car to their Paj or at least know where I can buy a winch bar to suit? Cheers Brad.
  • markandliz
    • Jul 2009
    • Perth WA

MCC Bar

Originally posted by B-RAD View Post
    G'day all. I have just purchased an 03 NP Exceed and want to fit a steel winch bar. I have looked at all my options and it seems as though the only steel bars currently available are MCC and ARB. I think the MCC looks a lot better than the ARB although I have read on here that the finish isn't up to scratch and the mounting points are rubbish. The ARB bar is pricey and I'm not too madly wrapped in the look of it due to not having the provision for the factory fitted fog lights on the Exceeds. Ideally Ironman winch cars look great for other makes and models although they don't make them for the Paj. Has anybody fitted a steel winch bar from another make and model if car to their Paj or at least know where I can buy a winch bar to suit? Cheers Brad.
    I have Justed removed the factory alloy bar from my 2003 NM exceed - The alloy bar has been great ! has taken a few hits from roo's and was adapted for winch use. The only reason it is being replaced, is that my wife and I have decided to keep the car mainly for touring and 4wd, and want added protection.

You are dead right there is practically no options available now for the NM & NP Pajero's apart from MCC & ARB. The ARB bar is nearly $2000 fitted, if you have an exceed model you will loose the fog lights and headlight washer jets.

I have just installed the MCC deluxe bar which looks the same as the newer ARB deluxe bar and comes with round foglights. I have drilled the bar to install the headlight washer jets, as did not want to loose the headlight washers. The bar is the same, as sold by Ironman and a few other 4WD companies. I was concerned about the mounting points and the quality of the bar, but after looking at a mates ARB bar, the mounting brackets and the qualtiy of the bar is identical. The bar is easy to install and comes with full instructions and all mounting bolts. It attaches to the chassis using a extremely solid main frame Bracket, which is also used to mount the winch onto.

I have read on the forum, that it has been suggested that you will loose the use of the front towing/recovery hooks - this is not the case !!! I'm totally happy with the MCC bullbar and its quality, everything seems as good as an ARB Deluxe bar which does not come with fog lights etc and yes, time will tell if it lives to tell the tale, we will have to wait and see - I paid $1540.00 which included the bull bar and under shields.

Following on - I also purchased a MCC rear wheel carrier at the sametime as the bull bar. Again happy with the quality of the wheel carrier/rearbar. MCC to a certain degree have copied ARB's rear wheel carrier, but unfortunantly there is hardly any companies manufacturing rear bars/wheel carriers which are available for the Pajero. The ones that are, are more than $3000. I paid $1390.00 which included 2 x rear wheel carriers and the bar. Comes with instructions all wiring required and is very easy to install.Yes it is half the price of the others and at this stage the quality is very good, but at $1390 I'm happy to suck it and see if it survives

Comment

• Burko
      • Sep 2013
      • Brisbane

Mark and Diz it sounds like MCC have changed designs then. Are you able to post some pics please . Of bar and mounting points if possible.

Also of rear bar.

You sound very happy with them and I am sure a lot if people would be interested in the changes.

Paul
      2001 NM 3.5 Exceed. Whisbar HD roof racks, UHF, HID spots, Elec brake control, air con control moved, K&N air filter. (SOLD )

2017 MQ GLS Triton Auto. Whispbar HD racks. EKO Canopy.

Comment

• pajflareo
        • Feb 2013
        • Syd

+1 for pics of the rear bar especially. Was the $1400 including fitting? Thats a good price if so!

Comment

• Steve_H
          • Feb 2012
          • Melbourne

Any issues fitting the rear bar with the exceeds rear air con?
          2018 NX GLS - Stock

2002 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto. Oricom 280 UHF, Full Boar Snorkel, Maxxis 980's. Diff breather kit *still* waiting to be fitted. Heading for the great scrap yard in the sky very soon.

Comment

• markandliz
            • Jul 2009
            • Perth WA

Originally posted by Burko View Post
            Mark and Diz it sounds like MCC have changed designs then. Are you able to post some pics please . Of bar and mounting points if possible.

Also of rear bar.

You sound very happy with them and I am sure a lot if people would be interested in the changes.

Paul
            Heres the link to view the rearbar and bullbar available from MCC - I will takes some pices and post. Our Pajero is having some minor body repairs at a mates panel shop (having a birthday) so once I have it back Ill post pics

Click here mcc4x4.com

Comment

• markandliz
              • Jul 2009
              • Perth WA

Originally posted by Steve_H View Post
              Any issues fitting the rear bar with the exceeds rear air con?
              Hi, The rear bar was easy to install and no need to remove or reposition the rear air cond..if it was needed I would not have purchased the bar as don't like removing standard items from the car as it can cuase even more problems - I'll try and load images as never done it before.

Our pajero is currently in a mates panel shop having some minor panel work (having a birthday) will certainly post pics - you can also see the rear bar and bullbar at mcc4x4.com.

The company I purchased the bar from is www.sportsrange.com.au they have heaps of images of the rearbar and Bullbars available

Comment

• markandliz
                • Jul 2009
                • Perth WA

Originally posted by Burko View Post

Also of rear bar.

Paul
                Hi Paul,

No worries, the Pajero is having some minor panel repairs done at a mates panel shop at the moment. As soon as I have it back I take some pics.. Never loaded them onto the site but will give it go.

I'm really impressed with the Bullbar and Rear bar. I had been looking at replacing the alloy bar for sometime and had looked at the Ironman, Arb and every other bullbar available for the Pajero..What I liked about the MCC was, it looks like an ARB bar.. I would have purchased an Ironman bullbar, but they don't stock anything for a Pajero. The rear bar/wheel carrier I was looking a spending $3000, but saw the MCC at the local stockist and was sold..They had one remaining in stock - saving over $1500 leaves me cash to spend on something else....!. The manufacturing and welding is extremely good, time will tell.

If you check out http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/deluxe_commercial.html
                they have a good write up about the bar and even give installation instructions, plus images of the bar.

The Arb bars are being copied constantly which includes design and manufacturing technics - Being in the Motor trade 30 years, I have no doubt that an ARB bar would have been purchased and copied.

Comment

• Burko
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by markandliz View Post
                  Hi Paul,

No worries, the Pajero is having some minor panel repairs done at a mates panel shop at the moment. As soon as I have it back I take some pics.. Never loaded them onto the site but will give it go.

I'm really impressed with the Bullbar and Rear bar. I had been looking at replacing the alloy bar for sometime and had looked at the Ironman, Arb and every other bullbar available for the Pajero..What I liked about the MCC was, it looks like an ARB bar.. I would have purchased an Ironman bullbar, but they don't stock anything for a Pajero. The rear bar/wheel carrier I was looking a spending $3000, but saw the MCC at the local stockist and was sold..They had one remaining in stock - saving over $1500 leaves me cash to spend on something else....!. The manufacturing and welding is extremely good, time will tell.

If you check out http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/deluxe_commercial.html
                  they have a good write up about the bar and even give installation instructions, plus images of the bar.

The Arb bars are being copied constantly which includes design and manufacturing technics - Being in the Motor trade 30 years, I have no doubt that an ARB bar would have been purchased and copied.

Thanks MarkanDiz,

Mainly interested in the mounting system. Previously they just clamped onto the "boob" part of the chassis and a flat bar ran down and was bolted to the recovery points rendering them useless. Very keen to see if they have changed this.

A lot of people here have avoided them for this reason. they will sell heaps if they have fixed the mounting.

Paul
                  2001 NM 3.5 Exceed. Whisbar HD roof racks, UHF, HID spots, Elec brake control, air con control moved, K&N air filter. (SOLD )

Comment

• markandliz
                    • Jul 2009
                    • Perth WA

Hi Paul,

My front towing/recovery hooks are still installed as I fitted the bar myself as wanted to make sure that I knew how to remove the bar if needed to service the winch.

When I purchased the bar, the tow hook scenerio was one of my questions, and after speaking to one of their installers he assured me that the tow hooks remain.

Comment

• Burko
                      • Sep 2013
                      • Brisbane

No worries mate,

so obviously changed style since this one.

Comment

• markandliz
                        • Jul 2009
                        • Perth WA

The bar is mounted to a one piece mounting backet that sits between both chassis legs..You have to fit the mounting backet first, then mount the bar to the mounting bracket. Once the bar is installed you adjust the bar and tighten all retaining bolts

The mounting bracket which is extremely robust is what you bolt your winch to. At no time did I need to remove the towing/recovery points. Looking at the previous thread the mounting system shown has dramatically changed. The bar does not have any legs coming off the bottom as shown in the images, as said looks identical to an ARB bar and looking at my mates ARB bar even mounts the same.

Hope this helps

Comment

• B-RAD
                          • Feb 2014
                          • Cliftleigh

gday Mark and Diz. Thanks very much for the info. I just called MCC and they assured me that the mounting of the bar does utilise the tow points. I also asked about the rear bar and the bloke told me that they don't do a rear bar. I'm guessing he just doesn't know what he's talking about. Any chance we can see some pics of your setup? Intrigued to see it. Cheers

Comment

• Burko
                            • Sep 2013
                            • Brisbane

Hi Mark and Liz ( sorry Liz )

Any chance we could see the pics please. There is another thread started on same vane and points to pics on the MCC site that still shows Gen 3 bullbar uses recovery points for mounting.

and a link to the MCC website.

MCC’s 4WD products are renowned, loved and operated by 4WD enthusiasts globally. MCC offers a comprehensive range of Bull Bars, Rear Bars, Side Steps and accessories and equipment to suit almost every 4x4 Vehicle in the Market.

Paul.

Comment

• markandliz
                              • Jul 2009
                              • Perth WA

Hi Paul,

No problem, the Pajero is in my mates Panelshop at the moment having some repairs done. Long time over due - as soon as I have it back I'll take some pics and post them

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X