• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bax
    • Sep 2016
    • QLD

Hi from Central QLD

Hey all, currently own a D22 Navara, and it unfortunately doesn't have any child seat anchor points.

So, out the door with it, now I'm looking at replacing it with either a Pajero, Prado or maybe a Patrol. And I've got to say, I'm leaning towards a Pajero.

I just came here to see what you guys could tell me, was hoping somebody could point me in a direction of any 'what to look out for when buying a xx' threads?

At this point I'm not 100% sure, my budget is around 20k, Diesel.

Was hoping I'd get an NT for that, but realistically probably an NS.

I've been told that the metallic paint jobs tend to fade off relatively quick on the older Pajeros, have they fixed this?

And I'm led to believe the NS has EGR issues where the NT doesn't?

Just looking for as much advice as you guys want to give.

Do you think I'll get something decent for 20k? Or am I dreaming.
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

Hi, I have an NT Metallic Blue and no issues with fading.

The NS has DPF issues (Deisel Particulate Filter), not EGR (Exhaust Gas Recycle) issues.

The DPF is a bit of a problem for city drivers but not so much if you gan give it a run in the Country frequently, but people have removed them. I'm not sure what the details are for removing the DPF but it would be on the forum somewhere.

As for the EGR, there is a mod called the SPV EGR mod which costs about $145 and takes about 20 seconds to do even if you have never looked under the bonnet before. Definitely worth it and Highly recommended.

$20k might be a bit short but if you look around and can come up with a few more dollars, you might get an NT in good condition. It wont be an exceed with 100,000 on the clock but you should still do ok I reckon.

The NT has a different gearbox, more power and better economy so a few extra might be worth finding tyo get a good NT

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Originally posted by Bax View Post
      Hey all, currently own a D22 Navara, and it unfortunately doesn't have any child seat anchor points.

So, out the door with it, now I'm looking at replacing it with either a Pajero, Prado or maybe a Patrol. And I've got to say, I'm leaning towards a Pajero.

I just came here to see what you guys could tell me, was hoping somebody could point me in a direction of any 'what to look out for when buying a xx' threads?

At this point I'm not 100% sure, my budget is around 20k, Diesel.

Was hoping I'd get an NT for that, but realistically probably an NS.

I've been told that the metallic paint jobs tend to fade off relatively quick on the older Pajeros, have they fixed this?

And I'm led to believe the NS has EGR issues where the NT doesn't?

Just looking for as much advice as you guys want to give.

Do you think I'll get something decent for 20k? Or am I dreaming.
      just had a quick search on carsales ... there are a few Diesel NT's around the $20k some with a few extra kms but some around the 150k km ... cash offer might bring some of the higher price ones down - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...4237396/?Cr=17

- Auto or Manual
      - Colour preference

Last edited by littleriver; 22-09-16, 09:24 AM.
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Bax
        • Sep 2016
        • QLD

Originally posted by ticky View Post
        Hi, I have an NT Metallic Blue and no issues with fading.

The NS has DPF issues (Deisel Particulate Filter), not EGR (Exhaust Gas Recycle) issues.

The DPF is a bit of a problem for city drivers but not so much if you gan give it a run in the Country frequently, but people have removed them. I'm not sure what the details are for removing the DPF but it would be on the forum somewhere.

As for the EGR, there is a mod called the SPV EGR mod which costs about $145 and takes about 20 seconds to do even if you have never looked under the bonnet before. Definitely worth it and Highly recommended.

$20k might be a bit short but if you look around and can come up with a few more dollars, you might get an NT in good condition. It wont be an exceed with 100,000 on the clock but you should still do ok I reckon.

The NT has a different gearbox, more power and better economy so a few extra might be worth finding tyo get a good NT

Steve
        Thanks Steve, I'm familiar with EGR mods, was the first thing I did with my D22. I'm quite happy to do that if its the done thing.

You've got me slightly concerned about the NS now, ultimately would love to push for the NT. How many people get stuck with issues with the DPF?

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
        just had a quick search on carsales ... there are a few Diesel NT's around the $20k some with a few extra kms but some around the 150k km ... cash offer might bring some of the higher price ones down - http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...4237396/?Cr=17

- Auto or Manual
        - Colour preference

Thanks for that, yeah they look like it might be achievable, if I can get patience on my side I may be able to pick something up. It'll just be a huge call on whether I wait for a NT that suits what I want, or I just grab a higher spec'd NS and be done with it.

Looking around yesterday there were a fair few NS (?) That looked like they came with factory rear diff lock. That'd be handy to have.

One thing I'm struggling to get my head around is the options.
        Is there a thread here that breaks down the differences with what you get between the GLS, GLX, Exceed etc. You'll have to forgive me I haven't had much to do with Mitsus.

Comment

• littleriver
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2013
          • Queensland

Originally posted by Bax View Post
          Thanks Steve, I'm familiar with EGR mods, was the first thing I did with my D22. I'm quite happy to do that if its the done thing.

You've got me slightly concerned about the NS now, ultimately would love to push for the NT. How many people get stuck with issues with the DPF?

Thanks for that, yeah they look like it might be achievable, if I can get patience on my side I may be able to pick something up. It'll just be a huge call on whether I wait for a NT that suits what I want, or I just grab a higher spec'd NS and be done with it.

Looking around yesterday there were a fair few NS (?) That looked like they came with factory rear diff lock. That'd be handy to have.

One thing I'm struggling to get my head around is the options.
          Is there a thread here that breaks down the differences with what you get between the GLS, GLX, Exceed etc. You'll have to forgive me I haven't had much to do with Mitsus.
          you can always open 3 carsales add's and look at the features tab to compare

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Minor point, but I believe the NS diesel is more susceptible to performance issues from the EGR related intake deposits than later models. I believe the intake manifold was changed slightly for the NT - regardless, both models will collect deposits in the intake unless measures are taken.

Of the three vehicles on your list:
            • Patrol would ultimately be the most capable off road, but most truck-like on road, and there's the "grenade" reputation to consider.
            • Prado is an excellent vehicle, will almost certainly do what you want very well. Biggest issue in my mind is the famous "Toyota Tax", plus I have doubts about diff strength and injector issues with the D4D.
            • Pajero is what I bought - so I'm biased. I went NT for more power and no DPF. Mine has all the wheel travel of a skateboard, but the traction control is surprisingly effective. So far, it has generally impressed me with its off-road capability, with the only "failure to proceed" coming during play weekends - I'm not aware of any 4wd touring destinations I wouldn't try with it.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Bax
              • Sep 2016
              • QLD

Cheers for that, the NT was on the list of preferred options at the moment.

Agree with you with the Patrol and the Prado, the injectors thing has scared me off. And in all honesty the value of the Pajeros seem to be way better.

Just have to hang back now and wait until something shows up. I've got my carsales search saved so I'll just have to keep spamming refresh until it happens.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Things to check on NS & NT:
                - rust on inside top of all 4 side door frames (esp. rear - look under the rubbers & in the join where the seal channel meets the door frame - use a torch)
                - timing chain tensioner recall should be done by now (quote VIN to a dealer to confirm)
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X