• Show
Clear All
  • HSV Rangie
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Hastings

Sam,
    Yes made the plate.
    Uses the bolts from existing filter and picks up the 2 captive nuts aprox 200 mm below.
    Plate will mount filter, circuit breakers and dual battery management system. Traxide SC80.
    Regards
    Michael.
    2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• Sam Pato
      • Jan 2011
      • Brisbane

So I finally got this fitted up. Thanks to everyone who provided input.

I used the Donaldson kit that everyone else has used.

I decided on an upstream fitment for a number of reasons.

1. That's what Donaldson tell you to do
      2. Less chance of one of the new components introducing contaminants into the system post the filter (like the paint that flaked off the bottom of the Donaldson filter when I screwed the bowl in)
      3. Most of the fuel goes round a number of times anyway
      4. I intend to replace the Donaldson filter approximately annually and its cheaper.
      5. Most importantly - if anything goes wrong with it I just turn the inlet hose round and its back to the factory system.

To install upstream I needed 1/2" hose and replacement 1/2" fittings. I got my NTP fittings from eBay enginepartsaustralia. I got my fuel hose from Bursons for$7- / metre. I got high temp sealant from eBay western filters for $9- (and I've got most of it left if anyone in Brisbane wants a dab).

The most tricky part I found from the installation (apart from getting the parts together) was that if you place it too far from the factory filter the original inlet hose doesn't reach. So I've included some photos that show about where it sits on the bracket.

The other thing that was a pain was purging the air. I pumped for ages without any real success so I looked on the forum and someone suggested to remove the downstream hose from the factory filter and pump it to a container. I did this and it soon ran through. Started first time from there so all good. I have only run it round the block since but hopefully its all sorted out and no leaks.

Cheers

Sam
      Attached Files
      Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

• Hill
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Adelaide

Sam
        Neat set up.

With the Donaldson doing all the work the factory should remain pristine.

If still under warranty maintain recommended interval for factory filter.

Hill
        200 Series
        AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Sam Pato
          • Jan 2011
          • Brisbane

Thanks Hill - it would be remiss of me not to acknowledge your contribution in this - which has been extensive. If nothing else - I shamelessly followed your bracket instructions.

I'm also using your recommended Ryco filter and will stick with factory intervals for sure - although I'm hoping that the Donaldson has done all the work and it comes out spotless.

Thanks again

Sam
          Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

• Hill
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Adelaide

HI Sam

I should clarify Z699 recommendation.

Happy to be corrected but I suggest Z699 for those who wish to fit single filter only as it is rated around 4 micron 94% efficiency which is close to Parker Racor recommendation of 3 micron at 95% efficiency for CRD.

There is a youtube clip of two 2 micron in series (unsure of efficiency rating fuel master filter perhaps???) that shows for new fuel filter there is very little pressure drop with this set up.

Don't sweat using the z699 too much. Until we have some actual data of pressure drop of used filters I would still stick to a factory spec filter ( estimated at 10 micron 95% efficiency using Donaldson replacement specifications) when using a second filter with a 2-3 micron filter and 95% plus efficiency rating.

My guess is that Donaldson will assume fitment of a fuel filter that is similar to factory fuel filter for those fitting their 3 micron 99%efficiency fuel filter.

Hill
            200 Series
            AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

Very neat installation. My only comment is that the rubber hose from the fuel line on the firewall is unsupported and may develop a leak with a lot of vibration in service. Not sure how you could readily support it though. My arrangement has the fuel hose rubbing the lining of the bonnet, and I don't like that either.

Comment

• Sam Pato
                • Jan 2011
                • Brisbane

Cheers. The inlet fuel line is just about touching the battery so it's possible I could cobble something up there.

The more I look at it the more I think I need to raise the new filter up by about 1/2". That seems to be about where the other guys have theirs and the pipe from the new filter to the old filter sits much better.

As per previous posts one of the things I like is that it would take all of 60 seconds to reinstate the single factory filter - so should I get a hose leak I'd be able to get going again without too much trouble.

Cheers

Sam

Comment

• traktor
                  • Oct 2013
                  • sydney

Originally posted by Sam Pato View Post
                  Cheers. The inlet fuel line is just about touching the battery so it's possible I could cobble something up there.
                  Sam
                  A rubbing hose is not a good thing, something will give in eventually either the battery or the hose. I suspect that the hose would be the victim in this situation.
                  The hoses should be either firmly fixed or not touching anything or else the vibration will finish it off.

I also followed someone's recommendation of using two hose clamps with the bolts on the opposite sides, apparently it evens out the clamping force and makes the connection more robust, which is critical in this application.
                  NW M14, GLXR, spare wheel lift kit, MM tow bar, bushskinz front/sump/auto/trans/rear bumper guards and side steps, rhino pioneer platform, ARB delux bullbar

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X