Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Drilling a drainage hole in receiver hitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alliedog
    • Jan 2018
    • Melbourne

Drilling a drainage hole in receiver hitch?

Hi guys, after an epic battle, removing a rusted in towing hitch, I noticed that is seems the receiver is enclosed at the end. I feel that this wouldn't allow water to escape and would encourage rust to form.
    Just wondering if drilling a hole or two on either the underside or in the end plate of the receiver, to allow water drainage, would pose any structural or other issues? Has anyone else done this?
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Shouldn,t hurt as many have a hole drilled in for anti rattle bolt. I,d cover the shaft in sticky grease and then put back in hitch receiver. Or leave it out till needed.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Alliedog
      • Jan 2018
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
      Shouldn,t hurt as many have a hole drilled in for anti rattle bolt. I,d cover the shaft in sticky grease and then put back in hitch receiver. Or leave it out till needed.
      Mine has a hole underneath with an anti rattle bolt, however I think any water that goes beyond that will be stuck.
      I plan on leaving the tow hitch out until I need it, but that leaves the receiver open to collect water. I should have a little time on Sunday, might drill a couple of drainage holes in the end of the hitch receiver then.

I popped into Autobarn for a cap to cover the end, the cheapest was $15. I just couldn't justify paying that for a plastic cap (its the principle), so I'll hit up ebay a bit later!

Comment

• Billy500
        • Aug 2016
        • Brisbane

How did you remove the hitch...mine is in for keeps and hitching it to a land post didn't even budge it.
        Went to a tow bar supplier and he advised it would be cheaper to buy a whole new tow bar that try to remove the hitch.
        Cheers
        Bob
        2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, Cooper Discovery AT3, 2" Bilsen King lift, Orion VHF/UHF radios,LED Spot light, Rear drawers, Waeco CFX 50 and slide, 120 amp dual batteries, 2.5x2.5 awning with side shades.

Comment

• Keithyv
          Valued Member
          • May 2018
          • Perth

Originally posted by Alliedog View Post

I popped into Autobarn for a cap to cover the end, the cheapest was $15. I just couldn't justify paying that for a plastic cap (its the principle), so I'll hit up ebay a bit later!
          Yeah I refused to pay that too for a lump of plastic.
          Got one on Amyama or Aliexpress or one of those for about $1.50
          2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
          MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Nab
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2012
            • Perth

Originally posted by Billy500 View Post
            Went to a tow bar supplier and he advised it would be cheaper to buy a whole new tow bar that try to remove the hitch.
            Spoke like a true salesman!!! Attach it to a solid tree/post, put a bit on tension on it(have someone in the cab with the car in drive) and whack it with a mash hammer. Should get it out!
            SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
            NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Alliedog
              • Jan 2018
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Billy500 View Post
              How did you remove the hitch...mine is in for keeps and hitching it to a land post didn't even budge it.
              Cheers
              Bob
              Ended up doing what this bloke did, worked a treat! Spraying vinegar into it, whacking in and out with small sledge. Came out in about 10-15 mins.

Comment

• jkwpajero
                • Jun 2008
                • Young, NSW

Never leave a hitch in permanently It is only needed when towing so when you are not why leave it here? Leave it out and give the receiver a spray with Lanotec now and then.

James
                2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
                  Never leave a hitch in permanently It is only needed when towing so when you are not why leave it here? Leave it out and give the receiver a spray with Lanotec now and then.

James

Coppers (in QLD) are starting to book people with hitches that are in the receiver and stick out past the spare wheel cover. i HAVE A PIECE OF ALUMINIUM SQUARE TUBE FROM A POOL FENCE AND IT IS ATTACHED TO A BASE (FOR THE POOL FENCE POLE. fITS PERFECT AND HOLE DRILLED FOR THE PIN KEEPS IT IN PLACE. i DID THIS AS i HAVE THE bUSHSKINZ REAR BUMPER ADDON AND IT HELPS SUPPORT IT WHEN THE HITCH IS NOT IN. nOT NECESSARY BUT i PREFER IT ANYWAY. aLSO KEEPS THE GREASE IN AND THE DIRT OUT.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Hill
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Adelaide

When picking up a new tongue last year I indicated that the old towbar tongue was a bit difficult to remove.

They indicated that at times they replace the whole towbar when they are unable to remove coupling.

Cleaning out the rust and adding grease is what they recommend as maintenance.

Hill
                    200 Series
                    AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Alliedog
                      • Jan 2018
                      • Melbourne

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post

James
                      Yep, exactly why I wanted to remove it. I suspect the previous owner never removed it. Only thing is, now it's basically a square tube sealed at one end, hence the query about adding a drainage hole or two.
                      Not sure what Lanotec is, but I'll do some googling.

Comment

• koshari
                        • Oct 2018
                        • gippsland

Originally posted by Alliedog View Post
                        Yep, exactly why I wanted to remove it. I suspect the previous owner never removed it. Only thing is, now it's basically a square tube sealed at one end, hence the query about adding a drainage hole or two.
                        Not sure what Lanotec is, but I'll do some googling.

lanotec is basically lanolin (sheep produce it) IN AN AEROSOL.

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by koshari View Post
                          lanotec is basically lanolin (sheep produce it) IN AN AEROSOL.
                          Lanolin is awesome stuff - when was the last time you saw a rusty sheep?
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Alliedog
                            • Jan 2018
                            • Melbourne

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                            Lanolin is awesome stuff - when was the last time you saw a rusty sheep?
                            Haha, I can't argue with that! Maybe I could just jam a sheep in there.

Comment

• Travis73
                              Respected Member who is going grey .......at the sides.
                              • May 2014
                              • Eaton, WA

Perhaps ram a sheep in there...
                              2010 NT Platinum 3.2 DiD Auto, MM Alloy Bullbar, Lovell 2"/Bilstiens/Polyairs , 265/70/17 Pirelli ATR's, Airtek Snorkel, Beaudesert Turbo back 2 3/4", ECU tweak by Maximum Motorsport (Kewdale). Paddle shift and Lock up Mate. ARB Long Range Tank.
                              2005 22" Paramount Delta...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X