• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • penski
    • Mar 2013
    • Brisbane

Air Box Clips

One of the retaining clips on the engine side of the air box has snapped off. It was half snapped off at least a year ago and then at the last service the remaining half failed. The dealer has quoted well over $400 for a new air box. Even second hand they are around $300. I have been trying to work out a fix with the existing air box and currently considering an over centre latch spaced out from the sides to clear the ridge where the top and bottom meet. My only concern is this will require some hardware and I am concerned about having nuts or bolts inside the air box on the engine side of the filter. If I fit the bolts from the inside with nyloc nuts on the outside where they can be easily inspected I think it should be okay.

Has anyone had and resolved this issue or have any comments about my proposed workaround?

regards, Ron
    MY12 NW Pajero Platinum II, ARB Deluxe winch bar, MM Tow Bar, Optima Blue Top Battery with Redarc SBI12 Isolator, OME Suspension, Tekonsha P3 Prodigy Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697's, Polyairs, Bushskinz IC and Sump Guards, LRA 81l aux fuel tano.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

I reckon you have already worked out a good solution. Use large size washers to help spread the load and definately nylock nuts.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Kingbrown
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Port Augusta - SA

If not an over-centre catch then perhaps this style of thing could be adapted.
      Various lengths of stretchy part are available to suit your particular requirement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_132257.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	983739
      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• penski
        • Mar 2013
        • Brisbane

Thanks for the quick replies. It looks like another solution was right in front of me. With nothing to lose I removed one of the metal clips from the front side and tried it on the back corner. It grips under the ridge of the bottom section perfectly and then fastens to the top section much the same as in its normal position. It all seems to be secure and I can't create a gap between the sections. I have just called the dealer and the part is available separately at $18 per clip. I have ordered two as the second plastic "hinge" is likely to fail at some point. Much less than the new airbox although the chance of it being lost during a service is probably high.

Hopefully this might be useful in the future if anyone else has this issue.

regards, Ron
        MY12 NW Pajero Platinum II, ARB Deluxe winch bar, MM Tow Bar, Optima Blue Top Battery with Redarc SBI12 Isolator, OME Suspension, Tekonsha P3 Prodigy Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697's, Polyairs, Bushskinz IC and Sump Guards, LRA 81l aux fuel tano.

Comment

• garfield
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2007
          • Moonta Bay SA

Hi Same issue on a NP some years ago, only one clip retainer was broken, I found the easy answer was to drill a couple of holes on the outside where the old clip was located and use a shelf threading screws. Worked a treat
          cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X