• Show
Clear All
  • jimiw
    • Jan 2017
    • Brisbane

Engine oil change

Hey all,

going to attempt my first oil change next week just a couple of questions

do you guys use anything to clean it after draining the oil? or do you add to oil before draining. Product suggestions e.t.c or just not needed at all? Not sure how this part works

My mechanic when he changed it last time said it only took 6L and the dipstick was way too high at that, but manual says 6.5L. Any experiences or further knowledge regarding this?

Thanks in advance!
    2012 PB challenger 4WD, pretty much stock, Munji EGR electronic block, Rhino Rack SX roof platform system, Rhino Rack 2.5m X 2.5m awning.
  • JeepChallenger
    • Aug 2015
    • Sydney

Hi Jimi,

Its a very easy procedure. I normally drain oil when engine is warm. This way all the debris haven't had the time to settle down and are still suspended in the oil we are draining. Some oil is always retained in the oil channels etc so it may take a little less than suggested. I always recheck the oil level next morning after the change to be double sure.

I was advised against adding any flush to the oil as some of the oil is always retained in the engine.

I also add Liqui Moly MoS2 oil additive to fresh engine oil. It is made in Germany and has Molybdenum Di Sulphide as a lubricant. MoS2 forms a layer on the moving components of the engine and helps reducing friction.

Hope it all goes well....

Cheers
    Mani

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

As for adding an oil flushing agent. Some do, some don't. We always do and at over 330,000k have no complaints.

Nothing opens the worm farm more than discussions about 2 stroke, dc_dc charges, oils, oil additives, fuel additives, tyres, pre or after filters, OEM filters.

Do what you are comfortable with.

Comment

• Ozzyal
        • Sep 2017
        • Rushworth

I add a flushing agent about every 3rd change . But I honestly think that changing the oil earlier rather than later is of more benifit .
        15000 kms between changes on a diesel is too much in my opinion .
        I'll be doing mine at 7500 kms

Comment

• amec
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Wamberal

Do you have a friend that might take you t hrough the process the first time?
          Oil change is not difficult.
          Youtube will have a plethora of how to's i'm sure.
          But put simply, remove protection tray from under the engine, place a 10lt or larger container/tub under the sump plug. Remove the sump plug, oil coming out will be very hot and capable of burning you if you're not careful. Wait for the oil to drain, 5-10 minutes should do.
          Replace the copper washer on the drain plug with a new one, put the sump plug back in. Make ig tight but not too tight.
          Refill with oil until the dipstick shows full. Start the engine and let it run, make sure the oil light goes out on the dash. Stop the engine after running for a minute.
          Let the oil settle in the sump for a few minutes. Recheck oil level on the dipstick. Top up if needed Check the sump plug is tight. Refit the protection plate under the engine.
          Job done.
          PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• amec
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Wamberal

PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• Rexxo
              • Dec 2014
              • Western Australia

Access the filter by removing the RHF wheel and removing the rubber flap.
              I find it's cleaner to punch 2 holes in the old oil filter (1 at the top and 1 at the bottom) with a long flat blad screw driver and let the oil drain out before removing it.
              It also helps to use the new oil filter box to make a chute to direct the draining oil past the chassis rail and suspension arms into your drain bucket.
              A little extra mucking around, but saves cleaning a lot of spilt oil from everything afterwards... and think of the $$ you have saved!!
              2012 PB LS Auto: Sold

Comment

• jimiw
                • Jan 2017
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Rexxo View Post
                Access the filter by removing the RHF wheel and removing the rubber flap.
                I find it's cleaner to punch 2 holes in the old oil filter (1 at the top and 1 at the bottom) with a long flat blad screw driver and let the oil drain out before removing it.
                It also helps to use the new oil filter box to make a chute to direct the draining oil past the chassis rail and suspension arms into your drain bucket.
                A little extra mucking around, but saves cleaning a lot of spilt oil from everything afterwards... and think of the $$ you have saved!!
                I have to remove the front wheel to get to the filter?
                2012 PB challenger 4WD, pretty much stock, Munji EGR electronic block, Rhino Rack SX roof platform system, Rhino Rack 2.5m X 2.5m awning.

Comment

• mudguard1
                  • Nov 2012
                  • Sanctuary Point

NO. Just remove the Turbo to Inter Cooler pipe at the turbo and tuck it up out of the way .
                  That will give you more than enough room to get to the filter.
                  When you spill some oil out of the Filter across the Chassis and Steering arms , just squirt with degreaser and give a good hose off
                  White 2012, Automatic base model, full alloy front Bar , bonnet protect, headlight protect, rear park sensors, rear dust deflector , 3 tonne tow bar, window tint, floor mats, alloy spare wheel. Tow a 2 tonne poptop caravan with HR load levellers .

Comment

• jimiw
                    • Jan 2017
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by mudguard1 View Post
                    NO. Just remove the Turbo to Inter Cooler pipe at the turbo and tuck it up out of the way .
                    That will give you more than enough room to get to the filter.
                    When you spill some oil out of the Filter across the Chassis and Steering arms , just squirt with degreaser and give a good hose off
                    Today I fitted all new filters plus replaced the oil in the triton, with simple hand tools and about 2 hours it was all completed, Filter wrench:http://www.s...

found this its a really good video. removes filter without taking out turbo hose.

How often should u change ur fuel filter i don't know when mine was last done.

feeling more confident i thought i needed ramps to do the oil but this guy did it just on flat ground.
                    Last edited by jimiw; 25-09-17, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• amec
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Wamberal

Service interval is 15000km, oil and oil filter and other stuff.
                      I do an in between oil change at 7500km without an oil filter change.

Comment

• Ozzyal
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Rushworth

I'm in 2 minds about changing the oil without changing filters .
                        15000 in between services is for marketing not longevity.
                        I think I'll be aim to change both around the 7500 to 8000 mark , but not panic too much if I don't get around to it until 10,000 .
                        Having said that , 7500 without changing the filter is still way better than 15000

Comment

• littleriver
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • Queensland

agree'd as above,

10k km is the way to go ... especially when using a good quality Synthetic oil

as for the fuel filters' recommended at 30k km we change ours at 20k km (always keep one spare for remote area's) ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Ozzyal
                            • Sep 2017
                            • Rushworth

Is anyone using something other than genuine filters ?
                            I used to always buy in bulk for my old Delica because it was an every 5k job .
                            Often thats less then a month of driving for me .
                            I like to have a few in stock so i can change whenever I want .

Comment

• itsamitsi
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2015
                              • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by Ozzyal View Post
                              Is anyone using something other than genuine filters ?
                              I used to always buy in bulk for my old Delica because it was an every 5k job .
                              Often thats less then a month of driving for me .
                              I like to have a few in stock so i can change whenever I want .
                              I use Delco and Baldwins. Good filters. AC041 I think was the Delco # and BD28 is the Baldwin. I use Semi synthetic and change @ 7500km. Genuine fuel filters at 30K changes and all good.
                              Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X