• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steinzy
    • Oct 2012
    • Gold Coast QLD

Air bags/bellows for rear springs

I am looking at air bags/bellows for rear springs to help level the Pajero when towing our Jayco Dove camper and wanted to hear from others who have them fitted as well as pros vs cons of doing this.
    Steinzy
    MY05 NP Pajero 3.2 Exceed

King Spings, Cooper AT3's
  • NMOiler
    • Apr 2012
    • Melton Victoria

I fitted air bags to my NM. Our caravan is nose heavy something cruel. Lifted the rear of the Paj up to level no problems. ( I think someone has moved the water tank on the caravan from behind the axle to in front of it. ) even with the tank empty its still nose heavy.
    2002 NM GLS DiD 3.2 Auto,Air bags, 265/70/16 Achillies Desert Hawk A/Ts, Prodigy brake controller.

Comment

• Easykill1978
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Melbourne Vic

that's no good being nose heavy, you really should try to balance out your van so that the weigh its centered on the axle.

under certain conditions (often achieved if no care is taken) you can end up jack knifing your van and get hurt. if i was you, i would definitely investigate
      My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2010
        • Cairns

Easykill, you need weight on the drawbar for stability. Not enough weight on the drawbar and you run the risk of lightening the rear end of the car and jack-knifing. The center of balance needs to be forwards of the axle to keep weight on the ball at all times. Of course though, there is always a limit and you don't want too much weight on the towbar....
        As for the airbags, they work a treat. I run my polyairs at about 14psi around town, to help with the added weight of the Aux tank under my Paj. Before hooking the camper on, or loading up heavily for a trip away, I pump the bags up to 30psi and then hitch up the camper or load the car. Once all loaded I re-check the pressure and adjust back to 30psi (pressure will increase a little during loading).
        If you are only lightly loaded around town, let the bags down to 5 psi and you would never know they are there.
        Con's???? I certainly haven't found any yet.....
        Cheers, Dan.
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Easykill1978
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Melbourne Vic

true there must be weight on the tow bar, but no more than what its rated for (300kgs down force in most cases). but if its too nose heavy and exceeds that, you have a problem. and it must never be rear heavy (as in heavier in the rear behind the axle rather then infront.)

for trailers etc, i load balance enough to have around 120kg tops on the draw bar and then i balance out the rest.( even distrubtion from left to right).
          My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Muzza
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Nsw

Have had fitted now for 6 years, no issues, I run 5-7 psi with no van
            With van on fully loaded 250-270 on ball I run 25psi
            With van on light loaded 210-220 on ball I run 20 psi
            Muzza
            2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
            2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
            2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X