• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lowlyf
    • Jul 2018
    • Brisbane

Purchasing 2010 PB Challenger TODAY!?

Hi Guys,

I've near on purchased a 2010 PB Challenger from a dealer in Brisbane and shown the intent to purchase etc and I've recently discovered the terminology used to describe these engines as "Grenade Engines". Now this sparked my interest and I decided to investigate further and that has essentially lead me here. Reading up on the MMA recall and the various horror stories of peoples engines blowing up and the like.

My question to you challenger and triton owners is, Should I continue on with the purchase of this vehicle?!?

I do have a few other questions regarding this issue though:
    1. If I ring a local dealer and give them the VIN # of this car, will they be able to see if this car has been seen to?
    2. If the car was sent back for the "recall", will that issue now no longer be of importance and all is great with the car again?
    3. If the car has previously been used to tow a decent sized caravan, is this a potential issue for the future of the vehicle?
    4. This car has an Exhaust upgrade, HR towbar, torque convertor lock up kit and rear airbags installed...red flag or okay?

Thanks for the read guys and any information right now would be of great use as this deal is nearing completion.
    2010 Chally w/ 88k kms, Roo Systems Exhaust, Nudge with light bar, 2" lift with rear airbags, HR Towbar, Elec Breaks, Torque Convertor, Roof Cage, Reverse Cam.
  • countman88
    • Feb 2018
    • brisbane

I have never heard the Challenger referred to as a "grenade engine", thought that related to Nissan Patrols.
    I am thinking of buying a PC and will be interested in other replies.

KenD
    Brisbane

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Sound's like an awesome vehicle ...

No such thing as a grenade ... was a cooling system campaign (not recall) being this vehicle has been a tow vehicle more then likely the overheating issue ( possibly on as little as 3% affected) would have come up by now ... there are only a few left that need engine replacing ) ... think most have been done now ... REGO or Vin will indicate recall (radiator cap 127kpa) but dealers are a bit secretive about vehicles details ... just ask mainly the cooling system safety campaign (if you get the right person might get an answer ) ...

I would advise a mechanic to do a gas analyzer test (sniffer) for gass's in the cooling system ... all said and done you will be fine ...

If she is the right price go for it ...

NB ... how many km's on the vehicle is very important for Statutory warranty purpose ( less the 160k km and less then 10 yrs old) is 3 months warranty by law ...

Last edited by littleriver; 03-07-18, 11:35 AM.
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Lowlyf
        • Jul 2018
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
        Sound's like an awesome vehicle ...

NB ... how many km's on the vehicle is very important for Statutory warranty purpose ( less the 160k km and less then 10 yrs old) is 3 months warranty by law ...

Thanks for the reply mate. It's a 2010 model and only has 88,000kms on it and I talked the dealer into doing the 90k km major service into the deal.

I've rung MMA and they confirmed that all recalls on the vehicle have been adhered too so that makes me feel a lot better. I got a list of them emailed to me as well from MMA themselves so its all legit.
        2010 Chally w/ 88k kms, Roo Systems Exhaust, Nudge with light bar, 2" lift with rear airbags, HR Towbar, Elec Breaks, Torque Convertor, Roof Cage, Reverse Cam.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Low kms, have you spoken to the previous owner and asked why?
          Is it a manual or auto?
          How much does you caravan weigh?

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Lowlyf
            • Jul 2018
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
            Low kms, have you spoken to the previous owner and asked why?
            Is it a manual or auto?
            How much does you caravan weigh?

OJ.
            No I haven't. The car is originally from Hobart, so they just didn't clock I up that many kms.

It's an Auto

Comment

• pb4x2
              • May 2015
              • Deception Bay Qld 4508

Originally posted by Lowlyf View Post
              No I haven't. The car is originally from Hobart, so they just didn't clock I up that many kms.

It's an Auto
              Sounds good to me. I have a 2012 auto 4x2 with 62Ks on it and have had no issues to date.Value for money they are a good vehicle and if the price is right go for it.
              2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

Originally posted by Lowlyf View Post
                Thanks for the reply mate. It's a 2010 model and only has 88,000kms on it and I talked the dealer into doing the 90k km major service into the deal.

I've rung MMA and they confirmed that all recalls on the vehicle have been adhered too so that makes me feel a lot better. I got a list of them emailed to me as well from MMA themselves so its all legit.
                geeze that would be nice

as per log book service that 90k km service is the cambelts .. (check the service booklet) ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

These are good questions to ask;

3. If the car has previously been used to tow a decent sized caravan, is this a potential issue for the future of the vehicle?
                  I would be checking the colour of the ATF fliud ands also checking the last time (if at all) the ATF was changed.

4. This car has an Exhaust upgrade, HR towbar, torque convertor lock up kit and rear airbags installed...red flag or okay?
                  Does it have an electric brake controller or are there signs that there has been one fitted? If so this would mean it has been towing over 2000kgs. The exhaust upgrade, rear airbags and torque convertor lockup all point to this car doing or being setup for heavy towing if a brake controller is fitted.

Unless you are happy to plod along at 80kph and down to 50kph on hills the auto Challenger struggles towing 2,000kgs, 1500kg to 1800kg is its comfortable limit from the towing I have done unless it is all on flat roads.

Also check what the tow rating is as this changed in 2010 sometime, from 2500kgs up to 3000kg, both of which are a "dream".

The NW Pajero is a much more capable tow vehicle than the PB Challenger, more power, more torque and better auto trans.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Lowlyf
                    • Jul 2018
                    • Brisbane

These are good questions to ask;

I would be checking the colour of the ATF fliud ands also checking the last time (if at all) the ATF was changed.

Does it have an electric brake controller or are there signs that there has been one fitted? If so this would mean it has been towing over 2000kgs. The exhaust upgrade, rear airbags and torque convertor lockup all point to this car doing or being setup for heavy towing if a brake controller is fitted.

Unless you are happy to plod along at 80kph and down to 50kph on hills the auto Challenger struggles towing 2,000kgs, 1500kg to 1800kg is its comfortable limit from the towing I have done unless it is all on flat roads.

Also check what the tow rating is as this changed in 2010 sometime, from 2500kgs up to 3000kg, both of which are a "dream".

The NW Pajero is a much more capable tow vehicle than the PB Challenger, more power, more torque and better auto trans.

OJ.
                    G'day Jack. Yep electric breaks installed as well.
                    I'm not looking to tow anything behind this vehicle for a long while, but if anything it'll be a camper trailer in a few years time.

MY understanding is the guy that traded this car in, was on his way up to the Cape from Hobart, saw the dealer with a 100 series for sale and traded in the challenger. He did all the right things, but obviously didn't like towing of the challenger.

His loss is my gain? At least it'll tow a camper trailer like a trooper!

Comment

• KevL
                      • May 2015
                      • Murphys Creek

OJ.

Perhaps you should have used the word could instead of would above.

Electric brakes are just that. They are fitted to all new vans as well as countless campers all of which are well under 2 t. Just because they must be installed on vans over 2 tonne doesn’t meant they are only installed on heavy vans.
                      I have an electric brake controller but my van is not 2 tonne and my Challenger has never towed over 2t.

If the dealer does the 90k service, it includes transmission oil replacement.

Kev.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Lowlyf
                        • Jul 2018
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by KevL View Post
                        Perhaps you should have used the word could instead of would above.

Electric brakes are just that. They are fitted to all new vans as well as countless campers all of which are well under 2 t. Just because they must be installed on vans over 2 tonne doesn’t meant they are only installed on heavy vans.
                        I have an electric brake controller but my van is not 2 tonne and my Challenger has never towed over 2t.

If the dealer does the 90k service, it includes transmission oil replacement.

Kev.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Yep. I made sure all oils were done. Got receipts. Pick it up tomorrow

Comment

Great buying.

Comment

• BMN
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2010
                            • Perth WA

Sounds like a good wagon. Mines a 2010 auto with 205k and no engine issues. I decided against the cooling service campaign and my only input would be to run the orig 109kpa radiator cap if it still has the 127kpa service campaign cap. Running the higher pressure cap is possibly putting unnecessary pressure on hoses and radiator. Also read up on the auto limp mode. All makes and models suffer limp modes so its no deal breaker but it has caught a few out towing uphill etc. Ive had 3-4 limp modes over the 8 years and they generally occur towing (camper trailer in my case) on slight inclines at 80-100kph (dash lights up and sudden loss of power). I and others are certain its just a software slippage glitch as its not an auto temp issue. Fix is pull over turn ignition off for a few seconds and then restart. Note engine light will stay on, but can be cleared with a scan gauge etc. No point going to a service centre as all you will get is a code clear and nothing is wrong. Towing in 4th, lock up kit should mean you will never encounter an auto limp mode.
                            2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• Lowlyf
                              • Jul 2018
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by BMN View Post
                              Sounds like a good wagon. Mines a 2010 auto with 205k and no engine issues. I decided against the cooling service campaign and my only input would be to run the orig 109kpa radiator cap if it still has the 127kpa service campaign cap. Running the higher pressure cap is possibly putting unnecessary pressure on hoses and radiator. Also read up on the auto limp mode. All makes and models suffer limp modes so its no deal breaker but it has caught a few out towing uphill etc. Ive had 3-4 limp modes over the 8 years and they generally occur towing (camper trailer in my case) on slight inclines at 80-100kph (dash lights up and sudden loss of power). I and others are certain its just a software slippage glitch as its not an auto temp issue. Fix is pull over turn ignition off for a few seconds and then restart. Note engine light will stay on, but can be cleared with a scan gauge etc. No point going to a service centre as all you will get is a code clear and nothing is wrong. Towing in 4th, lock up kit should mean you will never encounter an auto limp mode.
                              Thanks mate. Great to hear you've got 200kms out of your rig. That makes me pretty happy hearing that!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X