Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Border Rd Track between Pinaroo & Bordertown S.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sswanno123
    • Jun 2011
    • Muray Bridge S.A.

Border Rd Track between Pinaroo & Bordertown S.A.

Can anyone tell me exactly where I will find the Border Rd track between Pinarro & Bordertown in S.A.
    Would like to go take a look , Heard it's prety rough & has been wrecked by some cowboys that have no idea about 4X4 driving.
    Anyone know anything about it OR where it is.

Cheers
  • TheTaipan
    Banned
    • Jan 2009
    • sydney

Comment

• pusspuss
      • Jun 2010
      • ballarat

We do the Border track twice a year in a group of 5 cars. generally have a ball as there is fun to be had without wrecking the cars. The harder dunes do have bypass tracks if you cannot get over but we have had stock tritons and challengers all do it no worries.
      Check with parks for closures as it does close from November til march for the bush fire season and random weekends for any other reasons.
      At the southern end are some serious holes that you would only take a seriously litted 4wd but there are ways around. Take a good map as the sign posts are not always in place thanks to the irresponsible people.
      Take your own fire wood as it is getting real scare around the camp sites.
      Cheers
      2014 Pajero NW VRX, many extras to come

Comment

• sswanno123
        • Jun 2011
        • Muray Bridge S.A.

Cheers for that pusspuss,
        What end of the track do you start from & how easy is to find it.
        I've never been there & have been told the locals aren't all that enthusiastic to help out with directions.
        Need a bit of help finding it, may have to dry finding it on the gps.

Cheers for you help

Comment

• dean
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sswanno123 View Post
          Cheers for that pusspuss,
          What end of the track do you start from & how easy is to find it.
          I've never been there & have been told the locals aren't all that enthusiastic to help out with directions.
          Need a bit of help finding it, may have to dry finding it on the gps.

Cheers for you help
          There is a one way section at the Pinnaroo end, best starting there. Locals will help you with whatever you need. Grab a the Parks SA map and you wont get lost as all tracks at the Pinnaroo end are well signposted.
          Dean
          NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• smokem
            • Mar 2011
            • sa

swanno if ya serious about going here!! i loved it there im ready anytime mate!!! ill show ya the way buddy!! go in at pinnaroo and we start right near scorpian springs mate!!!!but i tell ya what dont pack breakables lol!! its bumpy as for the first half until we hit prob big mumma i reckon !!! still my best trip yet that 1!! massive ruts that i dragged the undercariage over aswell but man you,ll love it!!

i drove to big mumma (sand dune) and camped at bottom n hit the turps hard then headed off again after breaky!!
            want better fuel consumption?? stay home

Comment

• smokem
              • Mar 2011
              • sa

iff ya look in my profile ive got a border track trip pics file in there mate .

Comment

• Scottyoffroad
                • Jan 2011
                • Bordertown, S.A

I just did the Border Track a few weeks ago. Sand is quite firm as the area has had a fair amount of rain this year. Very easily acheived in my near stock NL. It is rough in places but you just slow down a bit and everything is fine. We got over every dune on the first attempt, and my two boys (one 2 yr old and one 4 yr old) even had their normal midday nap. (My wife sat in the back and held their heads still in the rough bits!!!!!)

Definately a good day or weekend out. We started at Pinaroo at 9am and made it to Bordertown (home) at about 6pm the same day. Didn't go into Red Bluff though. Take your tent and camp the night somewhere if you want to do a bit of sight seeing.

Cheers Scotty
                1999 NL Escape. 380 Engine, Alloy Bullbar, TJM Full Length Alloy Rack, 16" Sunnies with 32" Muddies, 2" Lift, Sidesteps, Towbar, Cargo Barrier, UHF.... Wishlist: Front Lokka

Comment

• smokem
                  • Mar 2011
                  • sa

scotty did you go as a group or run the gauntlet alone mate??

Comment

• Scottyoffroad
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Bordertown, S.A

Nah, did it with 2 other families/couples. Both of them in Landcruisers.. one 80 series and one 100 series.... The pajero did better than both of them in the sand... petrol... more top end power and lighter overall weight. We all put odds on who would get stuck/not make it up a dune first..... funnily enough they went quiet when they both failed to make it up one of the dunes on the first attempt... I was already at the top!

That being said... I would have no issue going it alone as long as I took some way of contacting the outside world if I got stuck or broke down. Something like a epirb/spot tracker or sat phone. As long as you are being reasonably sensible, there isn't much to catch you out.

To put it in perspective though.... I have ridden an XR600 across the simpson desert on my own......carrying all my own fuel, food and water.

Cheers Scotty
                    1999 NL Escape. 380 Engine, Alloy Bullbar, TJM Full Length Alloy Rack, 16" Sunnies with 32" Muddies, 2" Lift, Sidesteps, Towbar, Cargo Barrier, UHF.... Wishlist: Front Lokka

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X