• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john pajero
    • Dec 2016
    • melb

Suspension instal issue

I've just gotten around to installing a new set of springs and shocks. I have gone with a Lovells/Lovells combination.

The front springs and shocks are pre assembled and are slightly longer than the factory set I am replacing which leads to a fitment problem. I have removed the upper arm and the lower arm is at full droop but I cant align the lower strut eye to the mount.

See attached, any help much appreciated.
    Attached Files
    John

2006 NP 3.2DID Auto, Smart bar, Glind heat exchange shower system, Boos bash plates, Redarc towpro elite, Custom roof rack, Ebay snorkel, winch, Kings awning, Old school uniden UHF, diff breathers, Custom sliders, Middle exhaust delete, Custom quick remove rear shelf.
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

There should be a little more droop in the arm. You just need to push it down further. Use your boot or lever it (gently) with a bit of wood. An extra pair of hands can help as well. It will still be tight but it can be done.

I had the same when I fitted new struts recently.
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• john pajero
      • Dec 2016
      • melb

Ok Thanks,
      I'll give it a shot
      John

2006 NP 3.2DID Auto, Smart bar, Glind heat exchange shower system, Boos bash plates, Redarc towpro elite, Custom roof rack, Ebay snorkel, winch, Kings awning, Old school uniden UHF, diff breathers, Custom sliders, Middle exhaust delete, Custom quick remove rear shelf.

Comment

• Two Emms
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2020
        • Mansfield, Vic

....and if you need to tap it into position, be gentle. The eye on the bottom of the strut can be distorted by enthusiastic hammering. If you must hit it, use something wooden and again, be gentle.
        2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• El_Freddo
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2018
          • Bridgewater, Vic

It could be a good idea to release the tension on the suspension bushes to avoid tearing them. Once the job is done and the car back on all four, roll it back and forth to settle the weight on the front suspension properly, then do up the bolts to the bushes properly. This tightens them in their proper spot of optimal operation and longevity.

Other option is a set of spring compressors to help reduce the pressure on the strut so you can shorten it and fit the lower mount, then release the spring compressors. Not my most favourite tool to use though!

Cheers

Bennie
          2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

• john pajero
            • Dec 2016
            • melb

Thanks Guys,

I managed to lever the lower arm down right next to the bump stop with a bit of timber.
            Interestingly the passenger side went in without any manipulation while the drivers side had to be forced down about an inch.
            John

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X