• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazpet
    • May 2014
    • Mandurah

Falken tyres

What's the consensus of opinion of Falken tyres, more specifically the Wild Peak A/T3W, in 265/60 R18 114T XL, I'm considering these. I don't do serious off road work, do go on the beach frequently fishing and intend to get a on road caravan of max 2500kg. Opinions please...
    Peter
    2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.
  • vk7hch
    • Oct 2013
    • Kingston Beach, Tasmania

Sorry I can't comment on the AT3, but I have had Falken Wildpeak AT2 on my NM for 2 years now, they were the first upgrade I did to the vehicle. They grip well onroad, sand is good, mild mud (not thick sticky mud), rocks don't phase them. Have run pressures down to 12PSI in sand and never had a problem. They wear well, mine are still at about 75%
    I would consider their MT next time I needed tyres.
    2002 NM 3.5L V6 Auto GLS, 33" BFG KM3s on Patrol 16x8, front air locker, Ironman lift plus poly blocks plus rear airbags, Runva 11XP, Bushskinz, ARB Combo bar, HF, VHF/UHF radios, 9" LED spots, 2 x LED light bars, interior LED lighting, Rear drawers, dual batteries, Projecta DC/DC charger, cabin filter mod, Bisho's centre console mod, roof basket, solar panel, Darche 270 Eclipse awning, ebay snorkel, activated tail lights.

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

I had a set of Wildpeak AT2 on my NJ a few years back. They were a great tyre with a good wear rate and no issues.
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• jkwpajero
        • Jun 2008
        • Young, NSW

I just had five Falken Wildpeak AT3W fitted to my NW VRX yesterday in 265/60 R18 114T XL size. I only do dirt road touring nowdays towing my forward fold camper trailer with some mild off road tracks as well. First impressions are they are very quiet with good on road handling, especially compared to the new Silverstone AT's that my Pajero came fitted with. And the rolling resistance is quite low which should mean lower fuel usage on the highway. Can't wait to try them out on the dirt roads we will be traveling on our next trip out through western Qld.

James
        Last edited by jkwpajero; 13-07-18, 04:11 PM.
        2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• P4J3R0
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Brisbane

Just about to look for replacements for my wild peak AT2. They have been great tyres and have clocked just over 90000km of beach/hiway/dirt/mud/rock plenty of towing trailer and camper and boat and never let me down. They are 5 years old now and still have around 4mm to the tread wear indicators.

They are starting to show signs of their age as the white lettering is starting to peel off. Other than that they look pretty good.

5 years ago the AT2 cost me $275 each.
          NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• jkwpajero
            • Jun 2008
            • Young, NSW

I paid $229 per tyre for the AT3W fitted and balanced in 265/60 R18 114T XL. A very good price. 17" tyres may be cheaper. I have been researching these tyres a little more and the parent company is Sumitomo Rubber Industries of Japan, owners of Goodyear in Europe. Wildpeak AT3W are now standard fitment to Mercedes G class vehicles in Europe so that is a pretty good indication of their qualities.

JamesW
            Last edited by jkwpajero; 14-07-18, 12:59 PM.
            2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Hazpet
              • May 2014
              • Mandurah

Thanks for all your replies, JKWPajero, that's an exceptional price, do you mind telling me where you got it, best I can do in WA at the moment is $279 in 18".
              All seems positive about the Falken tyres.
              2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• jkwpajero
                • Jun 2008
                • Young, NSW

Hazpet, I got mine through my local Tyrepower in Penrith, western Sydney. He has the knack of always getting us good prices for all our tyre needs. Maybe it's just the freight to WA that adds to the price.

James

Comment

• P4J3R0
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Brisbane

Just got pricing for 275/65 R18 here in Brisbane and they are all $325 per tyre.

Might just be the size i'm looking for
                  NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by P4J3R0 View Post
                    Just got pricing for 275/65 R18 here in Brisbane and they are all $325 per tyre.

Might just be the size i'm looking for

These tyres are up a size in width and profile so overall diameter will increase by 40mm, still legal if tyre does not rubber on the body at any point during suspension or steering travel.

You will most likely notice an increase in fuel consumption and a decrease in acceleration and braking performance. Also if an automatic transmission then the TC will lock less frequently and unlock move often which will lead to increased ATF temps particularly off road and towing.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• P4J3R0
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                      These tyres are up a size in width and profile so overall diameter will increase by 40mm, still legal if tyre does not rubber on the body at any point during suspension or steering travel.

You will most likely notice an increase in fuel consumption and a decrease in acceleration and braking performance. Also if an automatic transmission then the TC will lock less frequently and unlock move often which will lead to increased ATF temps particularly off road and towing.

OJ.
                      Hey OJ,

Had this size since I bought the car so it's all I know. Running a set of wildpeak's for daily duties, and maxxis bighorns for the dirty weekends or playing on the farm.

They rubbed at full lock full flex on the front mudguards, however with all the barwork there is nothing to rub on now.

Fuel usage has been discussed in the build thread. ATF temps never get to high as a bit of sports mode selecting the right gear helps. Vented and slotted brakes with good pads make a world of difference.

I have just fitted the new MM 4X4 lockup kit and it's made a huge change. We all know how accurate the trip computer is for fuel usage, however it's currently showing 11L just through the lockup kit on the hiway. Can't wait to get through afew more tanks and have a proper figure.

The kit is amazing and it's usability is incredible. Been tweaking it each day. Obviously with the tyre size the standard settings are slightly off so I have delayed when the kit locks up and am very happy with it. There is no jerking or shuddering with gear changes.

Cheers
                      NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by P4J3R0 View Post
                        Hey OJ,

Had this size since I bought the car so it's all I know. Running a set of wildpeak's for daily duties, and maxxis bighorns for the dirty weekends or playing on the farm.

They rubbed at full lock full flex on the front mudguards, however with all the barwork there is nothing to rub on now.

Fuel usage has been discussed in the build thread. ATF temps never get to high as a bit of sports mode selecting the right gear helps. Vented and slotted brakes with good pads make a world of difference.

I have just fitted the new MM 4X4 lockup kit and it's made a huge change. We all know how accurate the trip computer is for fuel usage, however it's currently showing 11L just through the lockup kit on the hiway. Can't wait to get through afew more tanks and have a proper figure.

The kit is amazing and it's usability is incredible. Been tweaking it each day. Obviously with the tyre size the standard settings are slightly off so I have delayed when the kit locks up and am very happy with it. There is no jerking or shuddering with gear changes.

Cheers

Sounds like you have all the bases covered, well done
                        Only issue I can see is it is not a common size tyre so availability may be difficult in country areas.

Yes I have been pretty happy with the MM4x4 Lockup Mate and the way it has transformed my PB Challenger with the lazy Jatco auto trans.

OJ.
                        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• P4J3R0
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Brisbane

New tyres are on.

WOW. Definitely an upgrade from the old ones.

Tyre shop was great and did buy 3 get 1 free. Service was awesome and they were $30 less per tyre on everyone else.

They did ask why I was changing the tyres as there was still 4mm to tread wear indicators. I Said it only takes one bad cop to write a ticket and wreck my day.

Couple of new things with these. They said run 40psi to keep the tyre edges square. New compound will wear differently and the blocks are different so will be keen to see how they go off road. On road they are nice, quiet and grippy. If I can get near the 95000km that the AT02 did, I’ll be a happy camper.
                          NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• Quinno
                            • May 2008

Who gave you the buy 3 and get 1 free deal?
                            2010 PB Challenger. Kings KCRR23 and 55H, sliders, front bar, warn winch, light force HID, 90L aux tank donated from NH Paj.

1992 NH GLX, 2.5L TD. Tough Dog lift 2", Alpine Engineering IFS mod kit, DieselGas, Piranha dual battery, ARB bar with Warn M8000, Outlander roof rack & boat rollers, 10ft tinny with 6hp, GME TX4000 UHF & Electophone SSB CB, custom fridge slide & false floor, window tint & Airflow snorkel.

Comment

• P4J3R0
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2013
                              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Quinno View Post
                              Who gave you the buy 3 and get 1 free deal?
                              Little tyre shop at Logan. Called all the big players and they wanted $325 each, tried a few smaller places and they wanted $400 each.
                              NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X