• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

8000kg Snatch Straps

I bought a couple of these a couple of these a couple of weeks ago, $69 delivered.

Thats a bargain unless they are just cheap rubbish.

I was convinced that these are good quality because they are tested & rated by A Nobel & son. Nobels make & certify heavy lifting equipment like slings, Straps & Chains for use in heavy industry and are an ASAZ9002 Quality Certified Company.

I think they are good value

Steve

2 x Hercules 8,000kg Snatch Strap

The Hercules 8,000kg snatch strap has been independently tested by A. Noble & Son Limited. The destruction tests returned a breaking load well over the 8,000kg rating. A Snatch Strap is an essential part of any recovery kit. It is important to replace any snatch strap after it has been used 10 times or more to ensure it doesnt fail.

Min Breaking: 8,000kg
    Stretch Factor: 20%
    Raw Material: 100% Nylon
    Width: 60mm
    Length: 9m
    Colour: Magenta
    Sleeve colour: Black
    Attached Files
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
  • Buddha
    • Apr 2013
    • Canberra

A batch of these straps were subject to a recall following a comparo run in unsealed 4x4 (http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/snatch-strap-comparison/)

Recall notice here https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/i...itemId/1072257

As I understand it they did a total redesign of the strap following the recall which may have led to the independent testing you mentioned. Worth checking if they fall into that batch number though... I am thinking if it is a recent purchase then they won't as they stopped selling them at the time of recall and re-released about August last year.

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

We can test them in a couple of weeks
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• ticky
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Buddha View Post
        A batch of these straps were subject to a recall following a comparo run in unsealed 4x4 (http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/snatch-strap-comparison/)

As I understand it they did a total redesign of the strap following the recall which may have led to the independent testing you mentioned. Worth checking if they fall into that batch number though... I am thinking if it is a recent purchase then they won't as they stopped selling them at the time of recall and re-released about August last year.

Interesting article Buddha.

Its great that Unsealed do these comparisons, & clearly the Herc 8000kg was the worst strap tested.

Hats off 4WD Supacentre for fixing the problem. Would they have done it without an official Gov recall? Who knows. But it is worth mentioning that they got the same Testing Company, Nobels, to certify their new straps that Unsealed used to find the problem in the first place.

I imagine its only a matter of time before they are tested on the track by somebody on the forum, it would be interesting to hear the results.

Steve
        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• ticky
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2015
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
          We can test them in a couple of weeks

Comment

• Buddha
            • Apr 2013
            • Canberra

Yeah it is good to see comparos like this as it gives you a bit of a sense of what to look for when you don't have an opportunity to try before you buy. Regarding the recall, my understanding is that tigerz/supacentre initiated the recall following the test so hats off to them.

Looks like they have put their money where there mouth is going back to the original tester and asking for certification. Sounds like all will be good

Enjoy, hope you don't have to use them to often (unless you like getting bogged of course )

Cheers

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2013
              • Brisbane

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 8000kg (80000N) a bit excessive. If the pajero is 2500kg loaded, wouldn't an 8000kg strap be overkill. Would a lower rated strap have more elasticity and therefore less strain on the tow vehicle and the bogged vehicle. If I was stuck enough to need 80000N of force to remove my pajero, I would look at a safer recovery method.
              2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Ent
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2014
                • Tasmania

Rather hard to get the correctly rated snatch strap. Some kits come with eleven tonne rating and as I newbie was told this was better, and believed them. We all known it is not! But for me it is more a towrope as snatching appears a little fraught with issues in my books.
                2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

Normally you would look at buying a strap that has 2x to 3x your GVM, so 8,000kg is a good size that covers from an unloaded mid size 4wd right through to GVM + towing a camper trailer. Some people think that having a 11,000kg strap is better but it will not stretch as much so it does not work as effectively and it puts more load on the vehicles and attachment points.

cheers, OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• BeanCounter
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Tasmania

Originally posted by Buddha View Post

The recalled straps were orange, new ones are red, so looks like he got the new ones. i have 4 new ones unopened. Time to get bogged me thinks.

Comment

• spot01
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by BeanCounter View Post
                      The recalled straps were orange, new ones are red, so looks like he got the new ones. i have 4 new ones unopened. Time to get bogged me thinks.
                      I'm quite happy to carry around unused recovery gear!
                      I just bought a pair of Maxtrax for $229 from BCF (using a club coupon they sent me ) - hopefully these stay unused as well.
                      I work on the theory if you have it you won't need it, but if you don't have it, well..............bit like insurance!
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Rich0
                        • Dec 2011
                        • Sydney, South

I sent mine back under the recall and I'm still waiting for a replacement. It's been 6 weeks now! My last email to them 2 weeks ago went answered..... [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-P350 using Tapatalk
                        2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
                        My build thread on the to do list

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                          I'm quite happy to carry around unused recovery gear!
                          I just bought a pair of Maxtrax for $229 from BCF (using a club coupon they sent me ) - hopefully these stay unused as well.
                          I work on the theory if you have it you won't need it, but if you don't have it, well..............bit like insurance!

Totally agree. The only issue is with a winch. Left too long they will rust up. Periodic use is advisable.
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• GOSSAMER
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2008
                            • doncaster east vic

I've have had a pretty 8000kg orange Tigerz snatch sitting unused for ages and decided to get it out to recover a very stuck patrol last week. Holy crap it must have been miss labelled as it had no stretch whatsoever bloody near gave me whiplash so now i have an 8000kg tow strap and am in the market for a new snatch strap.
                            Back from the Dark side
                            NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• Shano592
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2012
                              • Central Coast NSW

Legally they can't sell a recalled product, so there is no way these new ones would be part of the recall batch.

If you have one that is part of the recall batch, I believe that you are entitled to a free replacement.

I will have to look at getting one of these. I don't go offroad too much, but as mentioned... insurance.
                              Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X