• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Dash rattle in Gen 4s

A few questions on dash rattle on corrugated roads if anybody knows the answers...

- Does this affect all Gen 4 models or are the later models better than earlier

- If the model is prone to it, will all examples of that model rattle badly or is it just bad luck if yours rattles

- Does it tend to start getting worse after a certain mileage or do they rattle from new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

- it affects all gen 4's as far as I'm aware
    -this includes all models
    - it will start from the first corrugation you hit

There are dash fixes posted here on the forum. Personally, I just put up with it.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• eci_thump
      • Apr 2010
      • Karratha, WA

It's bad in every gen 4. That happy feeling of owning a new car disappeared after the first corrugation, I honestly thought the dash was broken. Extremely disappointed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      2011 NT Pajero RX2 DiD

ARB Commercial bullbar, 22" LED light bar, Black Duck seat covers, Rhino roof rack, Bushskinz, 2" lift, Tough dog front, King Springs rear, Bridgestone Dueler D697

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

I have never had a complaint about the dash rattle in my NW, but on a rough road or corrugations, the wipers start themselves automatically. That is annoying to say the least.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Originally posted by erad View Post
          I have never had a complaint about the dash rattle in my NW, but on a rough road or corrugations, the wipers start themselves automatically. That is annoying to say the least.

Thanks for the input everyone. I’ve read about the wiper issue on another thread and I assume the entire wiper stalk clicks down one click? Or do they somehow turn on without it clicking to the next position? If it clicks, I wonder if there’s a way of holding it up with a rubber band or something

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

I've never had the wipers turn on when there's a rough road but sometimes they'll do it if there's a filter of light like amongst trees. That's when they are set on auto of course. I also had them come on every time i started the car (just one cycle) after a windscreen replacement but that settled down after a while.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by erad View Post
              Jam a small piece of cardboard in the wiper stalk, stopped mine activating every 5 minutes on the CSR.

I braced my NW dash with SS brackets and zip ties etc, its still shakes, not as bad though. It was that bad on one trip across the Anne Beadell, I hung a teatowel over the edges to jam it between the doors and hold it steady. My Patrol in comparison is rock solid and has no vibration at all, but the Paj dash is much larger.
              2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
              3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

For all the problems people have, I’m surprised there are no videos on YouTube showing it shake. Unless people have tried and it just doesn’t look that bad on video.

Comment

• jkwpajero
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Young, NSW

I have seen mine shake over corrugations and the MMMC screen shakes quite a bit. My daily drive is punctuated by a dash rattle in the passenger side airbag area, from just above the glove box. It was worse after the airbag recall and as I live in a country town the local dealer was not much use while it was under warranty. I must have a go at sorting out myself.

James
                  2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Pwoffey
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
                    I have seen mine shake over corrugations and the MMMC screen shakes quite a bit. My daily drive is punctuated by a dash rattle in the passenger side airbag area, from just above the glove box. It was worse after the airbag recall and as I live in a country town the local dealer was not much use while it was under warranty. I must have a go at sorting out myself.
                    James

I have had an irritating rattle from that area almost since I bought the Paj. More noticeable just driving around on bitumen at city speed, presumably because on rougher roads and higher speeds other noises disguise it. Actually it was very hard to localise (as these things often are) and over the years the service guys tried lots of things, occasionally making a difference, but never for long. On a recent trip over to the Vic High Country from Adelaide I tried tightly stuffing some paper towels down between the forward edge of the dash and the bottom of the windscreen. Solved the problem . I have since replaced the paper with some black high density foam rubber. Anyway, you might try that - costs virtually nothing.
                    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Keithyv
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2018
                      • Perth

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post

James
                      The silver strip above the glovebox can be the culprit.
                      I agree, worse after the airbag recall.

I took mine off and put some double sided tape in behind there (and tightened a few screw while I was at it)

Seems to have helped..
                      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Miner
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Abu Dhabi

There is a dash mod post somewhere... it was shared from here to UK Pajero forum IIRC...

The rattling is chronic... try rattling down rutted gravel and sand (gatch) roads for two hours at speed on stock suspension and 60 profile tyres... [emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957]

Interior rattles a lot in general, lots of clunks, clanks and bangs but the running gear is rock solid. [emoji1377]

Comment

• stevemc181
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • Thornlie/Perth

This is the original thread where John Gavin from one of the South Africa forums came up with a few different idea's to try. I had some brackets made up and also used zip tie's to improve it greatly. Still not perfect, but better than it was. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=33057
                          2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                          3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X