• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turtl3tim
    • Jun 2015
    • Bunbury, W.A

Buying my first paj. hints and tips please

hi all, my names tim and ive just joined the forum!
    im looking to buy a pajero soon as we have a little one on the way and a capsule wont fit in my current supercab. ive done a fair bit of research on the pajeros already, but i figure i would come to the experts for some honest advice.

we have a max budget of 30k-35k at most. ive been looking at the nt and nw diesel gl's. theres a heap of ex avis hire (previously mine spec'd- roll bars have been removed) pajeros available at the moment, ranging from 26-29k. some have as low as 45,000 on the clock while others are up around 80,000. i know these ex hire cars are 'buyer beware' but they do present well...in the pictures atleast

theyve got all the extras that im chasing - spotties, factory diff lock, arb bullbar, cb, towbar, and some have alloys while the rest have standard steel rims. would anyone recommend buy a manual over an auto...if i can find one?

ive been advise to avoid the post 2012 nw model due to the smart alternators which can cause dramas when installing dual batteries. is this correct? its also my understanding that nt/nw dont have dpfs but the ns did? and the nt/nw also has a different motor to the ns, not just a different tune that gives them more power?

i would really appreciate it if you guys could point out any common issues the pajeros may have, whether it be electrical issues like immobilisers and reverse sensors, or gearbox/motor/diff issues. and specific things to look out for when buying second hand. theres only one major thing i have been told to check and that is the inside of the air filter box, after the filter, to ensure no red dust has got past.

i would also like your recommendations on some viable mods like exhaust upgrades, small (<2") lift kits/suspension upgrades, chips/ecu tunes, dpf deletes (if applicable to nt/nw), snorkels (heard these can be very noisy if not tjm) torque converter lock ups? whether these mods are worth the extra cost. are there any flares available or is it worth running a slightly different offset rim?

im not planning on turning the paj into a full touring 4wd or weekend warrior, i would just like to do some small mods to give it better driveability.

sorry for the novel and thanks in advance guys,
    tim
    Last edited by Turtl3tim; 08-06-15, 11:51 PM.
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

Welcome to the forum,

Don't let the smart alternator affect your choice, it's really a non-issue. I think they were introduced early in the NT range. A few known issues, such as dash vibrations on corrugated roads, rust in the top of the doors in some of the NT's. I haven't heard of this in the NW's yet. No DPF to worry about in the NW, not sure on earlier NT models, but think it's done away with after the NS?
    A first mod would be an EGR Block, either electronic or blanking plate will save you from gunking up the manifold, also make sure it's been back for the recent timing chain guide recall.
    Plenty of info on here regarding mods, I'll let you spend the next year or two reading through them all

Try and get one with 17” wheels rather than 18" for more and cheaper tyre choices as well as slightly better offroad ability. You won't need the torque converter lockup unless you tow a lot, or have larger wheels and a roof load etc. Snorkels are no issue, Airtek are the snorkel of choice for many, but also plenty running around with Safari. You will lose the large capacity washer bottle though, unless you cut and mod it yourself to fit back in.

A 2" lift with HD coils all round will give you far better on and off road ability. Add at least an Intercooler and sump guard from Bushskinz along with some decent rubber and you are good to go.

They really are a great all round vehicle and will do 99% of it easily, just don't buy one if you want a rock hopper. I'd be careful on the mines vehicles, as most have had a flogging, but if in doubt get a competent 4wd mechanic to give it the once over.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• dhula
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • South of Perth

Are these the ones at Carbox? if so I have looked at and driven a couple of these in person over the last couple of days.
      Some are in pretty good nick, some not so much. The beuty is that you can check each one side by side and decide which one you like most/best.
      IN the past week or so I have seen a few at other yards (GLX/GLS and even a Platinum) that were in worse condition for similar kms when you looked beyond the detailing tricks.

The ones I've driven at eh Carbox place seam to run well, feel tight on the road and run true which hopefully indicates no major concerns as I am considering laying down the coin for one subject to a few things (RAC check, recalls done, warranty validated, etc) as I think with a bit of effort they will scrub up pretty well for what they are. The one I'm looking at has bull/tow bars, spot lights, almost new tyres all round (on povo steelies tho, meh), minimal marks on the interior (a few outside but again, meh), 4wd system works as it should without clunking, bashing or fighting the car, service history looks the goods and I can get it for a price that is acceptable to me (looking at low 20's change over with the GV as a trade)

I've been looking for some more info on NT/NW (Paj's in general) and haven;'t been able to find or have missed it so hoping it is OK to ask here as I think it is on topic.

5 year warranty - If the 5 year warranty is not signed in the service book does that mean it will not be honored even though there is a year or 2 left before the 5 years is up. Some have told me it will be honored regardless, some have told me it will not be honored if it is not signed. If I was to call MMA with the VIN, can they/will they tell me and who is best to all (dealer or customer service)

Recalls - What is the best way to check if they have been done. If I was to call MMA with the VIN, can they/will they tell me if they are done or outstanding and who is best to all (dealer or customer service). Not a biggie as it's any easy thing to arrange but I just want to be prepared so I can plan for the time off the road.

The tool box/compartment on the back door - What goes in there, every Paj I've looked at (I've looked at way more than just these ex mine/avis cars) is empty. Noone can tell me one way or the other. Some say emergency triangles, some say a a small tool kit.

Sterio controls on steering wheel - Can they be retrofitted to a GL from say the GLX/GLS without too much drama or is an extra wiring harness needed. It's no biggie, more curious than anything else.
      Last edited by dhula; 09-06-15, 09:07 PM.
      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Turt3tim: You are looking at GLX models. I appreciate that money is a concern, but I have a GLX-R. I chose this over the base model because it had a few little extras, and the extra cost was minimal. The extras are:
        * Rear aircon - We occasionally have our grandkids with us and the rear aircon is good.
        * Side steps - makes it easier to wash & dry the vehicle
        * Rear spoiler - I actually think that it works rather well to minimise dust on the read door.

My suggestion would be to at least look slightly above your vehicle target. And no - my GLX-R is NOT for sale!

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Rear Air Cond

X2 for the rear air cond, particularly if carrying people in the rear in hot climates, like WA. It is a higher capacity system and it cools the car considerably faster than the front only system - important when you get back to a stinking hot car that has been parked in the sun for hours & put young kids in the back.

Camera & park sensors should be standard IMO, particularly when little kids are around.

Look for the 6 airbags - not all NTs had these. Base & mine spec NWs may not either - usually mine roll bars can't be fitted when side curtain airbags are fitted, so the mines & hire companies order some cars with air bags deleted & steel wheels, etc. Beware the ex mine spec cars.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Turtl3tim
            • Jun 2015
            • Bunbury, W.A

Yeah. Im looking at the pajeros available through carbox. Im aware that gls is the cheapest model that comes with rear aircon, but im not too sure if i really need it or not. I suppose with the bub itll be a very good idea. 6 airbags is always good but its an added cost. Im thinking maybe it would be better to stretch the budget and get the creature comforts as i intend on keepinhlg the car for a while. It would be great to have the almost 4k worth of extras on the ex mine specs tho. Thanks for the tip on checking the top of the doors. Does anyone have any feedback for the manuals over the autos?

Comment

• dhula
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • South of Perth

Can't really comment on manual -v- auto as I prefer auto personally (and it's what we are after) so haven't driven a manual.

On a personal note, how things change at the drop of a hat.
              Was on our way to have another look at some of the carbox Paj's and make a decision and have come home 3 hours later with a signed offer to buy (subj to finance approval at my bank) an immaculate 2010 Activ with 90k kms on the clock for mid $20's. I've missed out on the RDL (ARB may fix that in the future tho) but get all the other stuff the GL doesn't.
              Now to go through the hoops with the bank and dream of the initial mods (Bushskinz, suspension upgrade, tint, cargo barrier)
              Last edited by dhula; 10-06-15, 10:56 AM.
              2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
              2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Turtl3tim View Post
                Yeah. Im looking at the pajeros available through carbox. Im aware that gls is the cheapest model that comes with rear aircon, but im not too sure if i really need it or not. I suppose with the bub itll be a very good idea. 6 airbags is always good but its an added cost. Im thinking maybe it would be better to stretch the budget and get the creature comforts as i intend on keepinhlg the car for a while. It would be great to have the almost 4k worth of extras on the ex mine specs tho. Thanks for the tip on checking the top of the doors. Does anyone have any feedback for the manuals over the autos?
                Some (but only some) of the Activ's, Platinum's, RX's, etc have the rear air cond, 6 airbags & a few even have the rear diff lock. They may also have some extra features above the GLS. They can be good value and are well worth checking out, as dhula discovered.
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X