• Show
Clear All
  • mohan29
    • Nov 2011
    • vic

4m40 Tuning

Hi all,

I am referring to this thread:

I have added two M8 washers (got from ebay) to each of the two screws on the actuator between the turbo housing and the actuator.

And the I was trying to do the diaphragm on the top of the pump, but it looks like the diaphragm has already to been turned 90 degrees.

As shown in the picture here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	diaphragm.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	993107

Therefore I leave the diaphragm untouched as it is.

Then I had a good wash of the intercooler using petrol until the petrol becomes reasonably clean.

Didn't feel too much power increase though.

And it still blows a lot of black smoke at above 3000rpm.

Any idea to get rid of the smoke? Maybe I should tune the full power adjustment screw at the back of the pump?
    "Lighting a candle instead of cursing the darkness."
  • Downunder35m
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2011
    • Near Melbourne

If you only get the smoke during accelleration turning down the "smoke control" on top of the pump might be enough.
    Undo the nut and turn the srew counter clockwise in 90° increments.
    Should see an improovment soon.
    If still smoking the same way after a full turn you might have to adjust the covered screw in the back of the pump.
    You have drive around the block with someone following you to check the smoke one you got a reasonable result in your driveway.
    Keep in mind the turbo is not doing much under1800 revs, so if you smoke below the 2000 and a bit when accellerating good don't worry unless you consume more than 13L/100km.
    The 13L are based on my car with all the extra loads, a plain car should be able to run fine with under 11L/100km.
    '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
    Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• mohan29
      • Nov 2011
      • vic

Thank you Downunder35m for your original post and the reply here.

I have found that the smoke while accelerating (changing to higher gear) has disappeared. (A night trip and watch in the mirror to see the smoke if there is a car following me with headlights on. )

I believe that the previous owner did the diaphragm but didn't do the washer on the actuator, therefore there wasn't enough air going into the cylinder while too much fuel not burned completely to cause black smoke.

Although I can only feel a little bit power boost, (can do 5th gear at 50kph now.) I am happy with the mod so far.

The smoke only comes out when I am not driving but only letting the engine run at 3000rpm in my driveway. Not sure how to get rid of this.

It still blows blue smoke every morning though. Must be oil in the cylinder. I think I will need a oil catch can, because when I open the rock cover, there is no filter anywhere, the breather outlet is simply hole in the cover.

Comment

• Downunder35m
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2011
        • Near Melbourne

Smoke with no load is pretty much normal for old diesel engines, so don't worry too much about it.
        You won't feel much difference in power if done correctly, but you will notice the car takes it much easier on hill climbs or when towing.
        For the filter you can get the normal valve from an old Holden or so and push it into the breather pipe (correct way!!).
        This will eliminate most of your problems.
        If you only have a hole you should still see the rivet holes for the filter cover.
        Simply put some stainless stell wool in there and rivet a new cover on, can be cut from any old can or piece of sheet metal.
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....

Comment

• mohan29
          • Nov 2011
          • vic

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
          Smoke with no load is pretty much normal for old diesel engines, so don't worry too much about it.
          You won't feel much difference in power if done correctly, but you will notice the car takes it much easier on hill climbs or when towing.
          For the filter you can get the normal valve from an old Holden or so and push it into the breather pipe (correct way!!).
          This will eliminate most of your problems.
          If you only have a hole you should still see the rivet holes for the filter cover.
          Simply put some stainless stell wool in there and rivet a new cover on, can be cut from any old can or piece of sheet metal.
          If that is the case, I should follow your advice not to worry about the black smoke with no load.

As to the filter, there is a vertical rectangle hole in the rock cover, which leads to the breather hose connector on the rock cover. I think it would be much easier to push a valve into the hose than rivet a filter on hole inside the cover.

Can you give me a hint what valve I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Comment

• Downunder35m
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2011
            • Near Melbourne

PCV is I'm not mistaken, Positive Crank Ventitalion.
            Nothing more than a simply one way valve.

Comment

• Hunty
              • Jun 2010
              • Adelaide

Where abouts do you adjust the "smoke control" is that the diaphragm? My old girl blows quite a lot !! And yep she does use about 13l around town.
              Adventure b4 Dementure

Comment

• Mcreight911
                • Jun 2013
                • South Burnett, QLD

The following is a guide from a reputable diesel tuner to tuning rotary pumps. it should help answer DIY tuning questions.

And please remember, this is a basic guide only. I will not be going into alot of depth regarding how pumps or injectors work. Just the basics so people can understand what I am talking about.

At minimum a pyro gauge is recommended. Even exhaust temps on cars with standard tunes can reach dangerous levels if held at full throttle to long or laboured up hills.

Diesel Injector Pump - Supplies pressure to the injectors at the correct time, to allow them to fire when needed.

It does this through the compression of the fuel inside by using interference fit components that shrink in size as the pump rotates, forcing fuel through certain passages which increases the pressure the fuel is under.

Injector Pressure - Injectors have what is called a 'Crack Pressure'
                This is the pressure that the fuel forces the needle/pintle off its seat, and allows fuel to flow through the tip of the injector.
                As the pump continues through its revolution, the provided pressure decreases and the injector will return to a closed state.

The important parts of the injectors are.
                Body - Nozzle - Pintle - Spring - Shim

The pressure each injector will fire at depends on one thing alone. How much tension the spring provides on the pintle which is seated against the nozzle.

We can reduce or increase this tension by adjusting the size of the shim that is underneath the spring. Thicker shims mean more tension, thinner shims mean less tension.

If we lower the pressure they open at we effectively advance the timing of the injector firing sequence, if we increase it we effectively retard the timing of the injector firing sequence.

Different cars are built around different injector opening pressures. It is important to have these checked/reset every 90-100K kms due to the spring loosing tension over a period of time.

How Timing Works on a Non Electric Pump -

As the pump ramps the pressure up to Crack pressure, the injector will fire. If the pump is rotated one way, this pressure will build up earlier in the stroke, meaning Crack pressure will be achieved earlier than normal resulting in fast or 'advanced timing'

If we rotate the pump the other way, the crack pressure will build up later in the stoke, resulting in the injector firing later or 'more retarded'

So it is very important to remember, there is more than one timing adjustment on this style of engine.

Pump Timing Adjustment
                Injector Pressure Timing Adjustment.

Both must be set to compliment each other. You can have thicker shims in the injector to increase injection pressure which is good!
                But you must advance the pump up to ensure it is being injected at the correct time.

Boost Compensators -
                With turbocharged engines we have vastly different amounts of airflow on boost to what we have off boost. A 'Compensator' is designed to modify the pump in a 3D fashion dependant on this extra flow/pressure the turbo provides.
                It does this through a pressure intake port in the top of it, which pushes an internal diaphragm containing the fuel pin down into the pump. This increases the amount of fuel delivered depending on the boost pressure pushing down on it.

Types of Adjustment -
                These types of pumps have a few adjustments.
                1) Fuel Screw / Main Metering Screw (overall adjustment). Screw with locknut at rear of pump

2) Compensator No Boost Screw (off boost fueling). Grub screw on top of pump

3) Compensator Pin Spring Tension (Turbo Spool fueling). Star wheel under diaphragm

4) Compensator Pin Shims / Max travel shim (Max boost fueling). Spacer around pin under diaphragm

5) Compensator Pin Rotation (for eccentric pins only) (overall on boost fueling) circular pyramid shaped pin connected to the under side of diaphragm.

FUEL SCREW
                This adjusts your overall fueling in any pump.
                More or less and by an equal amount through the pumps delivery range.
                If you add here, you gain more at idle all the way through to maximum rpm.
                This is the only adjustment on a non compensated pump. You will see below the downfalls to this on a turbocharged engine.

The main drawbacks to using just the fuel screw on a turbo engine is it doesnt take into account the extra pressure or flow of turbo adjustments or upgrades.

Upgrading you turbo and or intercooler, will normally mean more airflow. But not through the whole rpm range.
                Some will provide bucket loads of boost and flow down low, others provide alot more higher in the rev range.

Its for this reason alone, the fuel screw should be kept as is until more overall fueling is required. Then the compensator should be readjusted to suit this extra flow.

Standard Non Compensated Pump Fueling on a naturally aspirated diesel

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Report this image

Standard Non Compensated Pump Fueling on Turbocharged Engine.

Report this image

Non compensated pump fueling on a turbo engine

Report this image

Fuel Screw tuning on a turbo engine without compensator

Report this image

NO BOOST FUEL - COMPENSATOR
                This is used to adjust the amount of fuel added off boost on a compensated pump.
                It can greatly enhance throttle response by allowing more off boost fuel to be injected.
                This is generally not adjusted on most vehicles, unless significant airflow improvements are made to the engine, which will necessitate in more fueling requirements off boost.

Standard Tuning with Boost Compensated Pump on Turbo Engine

Report this image

No Boost fuel adjustment

Report this image

Spring Tension Adjustment:

The spring tension of the pin adjusts how far 'X' amount of boost pushes the compensator pin down. Lower tension means more fuel for the same boost pressure, more tension means less fuel for the same boost pressure.

Overall Pin Travel Adjustment / Shim Packs:

The amount of shims or width of shim underneath the pin increases or reduces how far down into the compensator the pin will travel under full boost conditions.
                More shims/thickness = less full boost fueling
                Less shims/thickness = more full boost fueling

Fuel Pin Travel Adjustment

Report this image

Fuel Pin Rotation
                Fuel pins are in most cases eccentric. What this means is that on one side they have a steep taper, and on the other a shallow taper.
                With obviously a smooth transition between each on the cylindrical shaft.
                If the taper is steep, the amount of fuel added will be greater.
                If the taper is shallow, the amount of fuel added will be less.

By turning this pin though 360 degrees of rotation, we go from minimum fueling at 0 degrees, to maximum fueling at 180degrees and back to minimum fueling when we hit 360degrees again. With an equal and progressive amount more/less throughout its rotation.
                This gives us an overall adjustment from 0psi to full psi.

Fuel Pin Rotation Adjustment:

So when you get your pump tuned - Ask the shop, how do they tune it?
                Is it fuel screw? Is it on the compensator? Because there is a big difference to be had in economy and overall power between the two types of tuning.
                2.8 Mk triton, Vnt turbo , front mount intercooler, 2.75" exhaust ,ipf 70w hid spotties, 50w hid projector retro fitted headlights. 2 inch arb/sax lift . 2 inch body lift

Comment

• mohan29
                  • Nov 2011
                  • vic

The diaphragm is the boost compensation control.
                  I didn't do the smoke adjustment, which is supposed to be done by turning the screw on the top of the pump.

Comment

• mohan29
                    • Nov 2011
                    • vic

Wow that is really detailed. Thanks for that.

Comment

• NIZLAH
                      • Oct 2012
                      • Brisbane

awesome write up mate, much appreciated, I now have a much better overall understanding of how the fuel system works on an injection pump... there is a lot more adjustment points than I realised and shows that it can really be pretty well adjusted at the end of the day if done correctly..

Comment

• Mcreight911
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Burnett, QLD

Yep has helped me heaps when modding myn and mates utes, found it on the patrol forum Probably should be a sticky in the 4m40 tuning section
                        2.8 Mk triton, Vnt turbo , front mount intercooler, 2.75" exhaust ,ipf 70w hid spotties, 50w hid projector retro fitted headlights. 2 inch arb/sax lift . 2 inch body lift

Comment

• Mcreight911
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Burnett, QLD

Was written by diesel tuner on the patrol forum

Comment

• Downunder35m
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2011
                            • Near Melbourne

You found, so why not add it to my tuning thread and ask our nice admin to make the whole thing sticky?

Comment

• Mcreight911
                              • Jun 2013
                              • South Burnett, QLD

Just found your tuning section lol. Should have put it there first .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X