• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amr75wcr
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Sunny Coast

Winch service

I am sure that most of us have one and use and abuse it with no real thought to that poor little unit mounted behind the bar, had to use the trusty Warn 8000 last weekend only to discover that the free spool level would move but the drum wouldn't release. Worked fine using the motor but no free spool. Anyway decided this weekend it was time to remove it.
    Firstly it was possible to her it out without full bar removal, removed bottom there bolts and lessened the to ones and the bar will tilt far enought to allow winch out the bottom (thanks to the previous installers a bit of antisieze would not have gone astray, thankfully I have access to a rattle gun)
    One winch was removed its a simple process
    Remove the hex screw on the free spool lever and remove, remove the hex screws holding cover onto gearbox assembly and withdraw the cover, I was horrified at what I saw.

Planetary gears

Second set of planetary gears

Gearbox drive

After a good soaking all the nice clean bits

I did use a wire brush on the bench grinder to clean the obvious rust if the gears.
    Packed absolutely truck loads if grease back into all the gears and reassembled the winch.
    I guess the moral of it all is the bloody things are expensive take the time to look after them after all I would hate for it to fail when really need.
    Wayne
    Last edited by amr75wcr; 13-04-13, 07:15 PM. Reason: Forgot a bit
    04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Wayne, did you pull the motor off and apart to service bearings and communtator, check brushes too. Also the internal spool/drum brake clean and service.

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• amr75wcr
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Sunny Coast

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
      Wayne, did you pull the motor off and apart to service bearings and communtator, check brushes too. Also the internal spool/drum brake clean and service.

cheers, old Jack.
      I did open the brake end no signs of water ingress just the usual wear and tear, as yet haven't opened the motor.
      Wayne
      04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

Comment

• lenny05
        • Mar 2011
        • Brisbane (Albany Creek)

Must be the weekend for winch servicing...Picked up an Ox hand winch for $30 two weeks ago...Pulled it down, sat it in diesel for a couple of hours and cleaned it up...Works better than new now.. Also was given a 10000Lbs Warn from a bloke at work, was planning on stripping it tomorrow to have a look...
        2001 NM 3.5ltr manual, 2"Lovells lift, D694 LT265/70/16, ECB alloy bar, Hella lights, Uniden UHF, Rhino track mount and basket, Cargo barrier, awning, Home made drawers.

Comment

• amr75wcr
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2009
          • Sunny Coast

Not to self next time it's due pull the cable out and remove it from the drum makes it a truck load lighter and easier to get back in.
          Wayne

Comment

• dolphin
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008

well done there, i bet now the winch motor is very happy
            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• JoshF
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2008
              • Brisbane

at least you can do the service on the kitchen table at the moment
              NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
              Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• amr75wcr
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Sunny Coast

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
                at least you can do the service on the kitchen table at the moment
                Ssshhh it was the bench, table is a soft pine one and didn't want to risk damaging it.
                After all Josh you never know just when i might need the winch
                Wayne

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X