Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Ask for a full print-out of before & after measurements. Some major tyre chains have a reputation for only adjusting steering toe, and completely ignore camber, caster and rear wheels. When you find a good wheel aligner who can do your Paj properly, become friends!
I use Tyrepower at Ingleburn, Ultimate Suspension send the cars there after they have done Suspension mods, apparently they do a lot of 4WDs and 4WDrivers travel a long way to get alignments done there, so they seem to have a bit of a rep when it comes to alignments, my Paj has driven true since I did front suspension upgrade two year ago, but went in again last week for a 4 wheel balance and another alignment to make up for the wear in tyres, made a big difference again.
2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, BFG KO all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Wheel alignment specifications from Gen 3 Service Manual

Front.
CAMBER AND CASTER Standard value:
Camber: 000' 30' (difference between right and left wheels: within 30')
Caster: 350' 1 (difference between right and left wheels: within 30')
TOE-IN
Standard value: 2.5 2.5 mm (0.1 0.1 inch)

Rear.
Camber
Standard value: 0 30' (difference between right and left wheels: less than 30')
Toe-in
Standard value: 3 3 mm (0.12 0.12 inch)

OJ.

Thanks... so here is an attached image of the wheel alignment I got done today - nice they fit me in (something to do with their direct competitor stuffing me around so much, they were happy to accommodate me).

My initial experience - it drives a fair bit better... the side to side twitchiness has lessened a lot! So that's great. The front to rear firmness is still there so my next thing to do will be remove the rear shock and adjust to factory setting. See what that is like, then do the same to the front if I can borrow a strut compressor to remove the shock. I understand this is a requirement.

Any thoughts on that or the alignment specs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheel Alignment Report.jpg (98.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 4 Days Ago
Valued Member

Good to hear the handling issues is improved.

The Koni are only adjustable in rebound so this will not have any impact on the harshness of the ride as this is determined by the spring rate and the compression dampening rate of the strut and shocker. Rebound adjustment is about the control of the coil extentsion after the compression.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Days Ago

Is steering wheel shaking as well when on a bumpy road (I mean responsive to bumps, cracks not a tyre balance issue)? If so, thats front shocks for sure, I got same problem when I took a part front shock/spring assembly- after put it back together my shocks was done, before that it was all fine- I guess when it got full extensioin something went wrong.
And BFG KO2 are terrible after they get around 50% wear, they float on wet roads and not stable on high speeds but before that it was best tyre I ever had and there is no sign of that it slowly getting worse, it just happens right away, some morning you will wake up and boom, your car drives totally different.
P.S. Sorry for my English!

Cheers!

Last edited by ogijs; 4 Days Ago at 11:14 PM.
Old 4 Days Ago

Took it for another drive today to work on the freeway... handling or tracking was much improved, but the rough as ride still there and its twitchiness like an empty tray in a truck! I pulled a little in the front following bumping prior to the wheel alignment and haven't tried this since. It still kinda jerks from left corner to opposite front corner back and forth if you know what I mean.
Old 2 Days Ago

Photos included...

OK, so today my friend and I took our two 4x4's out to a very rutted track to check our capability and articulation...

His - 2016 Prado
Mine - 2004 NP Pajero

His articulation was so so so much more than mine and was standard. Also, his stability control was excellent in the wet slippery tracks, his traction control worked quicker and more effectively than my Pajero's also. But his car was much younger and much much more expensive so - newer technology, what do you expect.

We both got up this very rutted track, although his with less aggressive tyres managed it a bit more easier than mine only due to the added articulation. I needed a little more skill when driving to get up there, due to picking a better line.

So... some photos front / side - is this as far as the front end drops down normally, coz it hardly looks like there is any down travel at all? Perhaps a thought - could the shocks be too short for the springs? Could this be a reason why it could be feeling off over bumps?

Cheers,
Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190616_125422.jpg (200.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190616_125635.jpg (199.6 KB, 17 views)