• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mick32
    • Aug 2009
    • Tangambalanga Victoria

New Secondhand Buyer

G'day, have been dreaming about getting a Pajero for some time now and it has finally happened. Am going to look at a '04 GLX next week , 3.2 and 136000Ks, just wondering if there is anything special that I should look for or ask about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2004 3.2 NP, 2" Lovells Lift, Firestone Air Bags, Long Range Tank,Home made Bash Plates and Rear Draws, Duel Batteries ,Rhino Aero Bars, 3" Scott's Rod's Exhaust,Wholesale Automatic's Upgraded Valve Body.
  • outbackswine
    • Apr 2009
    • Mount Isa - The Back Of Bumf*ck

Apart from ensuring correct servicing, one important thing to investigate in the event you buy it is the top cam chain guide. This part is about $20 and should be replaced during routine valve clearance checks, but often it is neglected. It has the potential to break off and cause catastrophic damage resulting in thousands of dollars to repair.

Many say to replace it at 100km, but I would replace it at about the 45km service, as it is only a $20 part and you could rest reasonably comfortably knowing it has been changed early.
    Check CV joints and boots and for underbody damage to bash plates, a sure sign of a hard life.

They are relatively free of inherent problems provided they have been serviced correctly.

Comment

• mick32
      • Aug 2009
      • Tangambalanga Victoria

Thanks for that, I will replace the chain guide once I get it home.
      2004 3.2 NP, 2" Lovells Lift, Firestone Air Bags, Long Range Tank,Home made Bash Plates and Rear Draws, Duel Batteries ,Rhino Aero Bars, 3" Scott's Rod's Exhaust,Wholesale Automatic's Upgraded Valve Body.

Comment

• psproule
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Googong, NSW

Some things to look for IMHO:
        • Look for evidence of oil leaks around the companion shafts out the sides of the rear diff. This may indicate it has had the shafts pop at one stage, or the seals could be weepy.
        • Ask if it has had the AC drain recall done. They re-route the drain tube from the top of the bellhousing to the side as it has been known to cause problems.
        • If it is an auto it should shift happily and engage gears promptly. There should be no shuddering on take-off. They seem very sensitive to having the wrong fluid used.
        • Check for any underbody damage. eg - missing sump guard (factory one is plastic), bent muffler, torn CV boots, torn fuel tank guard, bent trailing arms & diff cradle etc.
        • Check the front intercooler guard & that it hasn't been bent up against the intercooler.
        • Make sure that the 4wd transfer happily shifts between all the ranges. It should go into 4H on tar on a light / trailing throttle when travelling straight (under 100kph), and on the dirt you should be able to shift into 4HLC while moving. Then try 4LLC when stopped, again pointing straight on dirt. A small amount of moving back / forth to get it to engage / disengage isn't abnormal but if it gets stuck / flashes the centre diff orange warning light and no green lights then consider passing on this one. It could be a simple fix or it could be $$$.
        • Jack up the front and check the front wheel bearings as earlier ones were prone to failure. Spin each wheel & check for noise, and grasp the wheel top & bottom and check for freeplay. Spec is zero. If one is faulty they are between $300 to $500 a side to change depending on who does it.
        • Wind down the window, find somewhere open and drive it slowly in a tight circle in either direction. Listen for clicky CV joints. They are not known for breaking them unless really hammered though. A slight click from the rear when shuttling on / off throttle will just be the splines moving in the hubs. Greasing them can shut them up for a good while.
        • Make sure the DID makes all the right noises. They are a rattly old thing but listen for valve-train noise as it may indicate that it has never had the clearances done. Listen for noisy pulleys / bearings in the ancillaries. It should pull strongly when on boost from about 1850RPM to about 3200RPM where it will taper off.

One last thing? Does the 04 have traction control? Having had an NM without and now the NP with could I suggest it is well worth finding one with. TC really works, and our NP definitely goes places the NM couldn't.

Cheers - Pat
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• brianwanless
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2008
          • Mackay Nth Qld

Good post Pat, I would agree 100% with all you said.
          NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

• mick32
            • Aug 2009
            • Tangambalanga Victoria

Thanks, thats a great help and yes it has the traction control.

Comment

• mick32
              • Aug 2009
              • Tangambalanga Victoria

Thanks for the advise, it makes it a bit easier for newbies like me to find a good vehicle with the help of forums like this and I'm pretty sure I did this is the new girl here and arn't they a terrific thing to drive. Now the hard work and the real money spending begins, once again thanks for your help and I'm sure I'll be needing more help as the mods begin.
              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X