• Show
Clear All
  • TheTaipan
    Banned
    • Jan 2009
    • sydney

Rattle gun.

Picked up one of up these today.

Having two sets of wheels and tyres there is no more back breaking trying to undo wheel nuts when I change my wheels from muddies to ATs and vise versa.

$100.00 from Auto Barn. Runs off your battery with enough lead to reach the four corners. Looked at cordless guns but prices started around $320 to over $800.

Comes with four different size sockets, extension lead, spare fuses,

It doesn't rattle like a rattle gun but has a centrifugal clutch mechanism that winds up and lets go.

Used it this evening. Bloody brilliant.

As you get older you have to find smarter and easier ways of doing things.

• littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

"LIKE"

best thing also is 12volt ... take anywhere

*no need to charge with 240v*

Great find :-)
    2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• peejay68au
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • nsw

Good one, been thinking about getting one myself. I'll go in and have a gander.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• joe2006
        • Jan 2011
        • Central Victoria

I bought an air ex-Hardware House rattle gun from Bunnings after the took over the competitions shops and stock.

It is absolutely hopeless. It won't undo anything tight and I certainly wouldn't trust it tightening them.

PITA to get the big compressor up and running for a few nuts as well.

Should have done what you did. The decent 12v ones are pretty good from all reports.
        Cheers Joe

2004 NP GLX DID Auto

Comment

• Tanglez
          • Jun 2013
          • Lake Macquarie NSW

A big thing that I, and i assume many others didnt know is not to run an air gun through your regulator.

Was in a took shop complaining about how bad my gun was and got told to plumb it directly to the tank. Works great now

Comment

• mrbitchi
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Brisbane

I've got the oringinal Shentai branded version. Same tool, different colour. Had it for years. It's brilliant. And yes it CAN undo hub nuts, which are 250Nm.
            Cheers, John.
            LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
            Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Bogger
              Unregistered as asked
              • May 2011

Just brought a Makita 18V BTW450 has more grunt than my air half inch drive. Makita do two sizes in half inch drive this is the larger of the two. (325 ft lb / 440 Nm)
              The smaller model BTW 251 puts out 230 Nm
              Last edited by Bogger; 09-03-14, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• TheTaipan
                Banned
                • Jan 2009
                • sydney

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
                Just brought a Makita 18V BTW450 has more grunt than my air half inch drive. Makita do two sizes in half inch drive this is the larger of the two. (325 ft lb / 440 Nm)

...and the cost of the Makita 18V BTW450 including battery was.................

Comment

• TristanNL
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2013
                  • Horsham

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
                  The 18V kits are very handy. I have a Dewalt set in 18V XR and the 1/2" impact wrench (DCF889N) is on par with your Makita.

Work has some Milwaukee gear in 18V and the M18 impact wrench lists as 610Nm - http://www.sydneytools.com.au/produc...ench-skin-only

The newer M18 fuel (brushless) lists much higher fastening torque - 700ft-lbs = 949Nm.
                  The M18 FUEL™ 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring Kit features the most powerful cordless wrench in its class, delivering 700 ft-lbs of maximum fastening torque, 1,100 ft-lbs of breakaway torque and up to 2X more runtime.

Hard to know if the advertised figures provide for a fair comparison.

For 100bucks you probably can't go wrong - cordless is handy though.
                  2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

Comment

• Bogger
                    Unregistered as asked
                    • May 2011

Bugger .......................... wrong again
                    Last edited by Bogger; 09-03-14, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Goodsy
                      Who ya gunna call....
                      • Dec 2010
                      • Hervey Bay

Had one for about 3 years now (12V jobby). Still going strong and it has been used heaps!
                      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• bakerboy
                        "valued 3000+ member"
                        • May 2008
                        • Perth

pretty good for $100, but I'll stick with the 18v gear
                        If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Brisbane

I have the 18V Milwaukee and love it. I reckon that there claim of 610Nm would be real as I have compared it to me hanging off a 600mm breaker bar and the impact wrench won hands down.

Slowly collecting all the 18V Milwaukee tools and will charge off the inverter in the truck. It is always surprising how often you need a drill when you have one handy.
                          2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• GHendo
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Northern NSW

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
                            Looks like the Kangaroo Imports one they sell at the 4WD shows - I bought one a couple of years ago and it is good. The first time I used it was to remove a 13mm. coach screw from a hardwood post out in the paddock - it broke the coach screw - screwed it completely in two - so it has a bit of oomph !! Pretty sure I paid more than $100 though.

Air rattle guns are useless unless they have up around the 800Nm of torque or more. I bought a ½" and 3/4" one from somewhere a few years ago - might have been SCA. The ½" one is useless and I have to use a converter on the 3/4" one to use my ½" sockets. It seems to work pretty well and getting wheel nuts off etc. Also great for big nuts/bolts on the tractors too.

Cheers

Geoff
                            03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Gen3
                              • Nov 2011
                              • penrith , NSW

Ive got the Kangaroo Creek Imports model , worked ok for the last few years. only problem has been the switch , but Jaycar had an almost identical DPDT switch , i was able to solder in.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X