Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 22-12-11

Question Super Cheap Winch - Good/Bad Opinions??

G'Day,

I saw an impressive deal at SuperCheap Auto with a 9000lb winch, half price for $350 and just wondering if this would be crap and bomb out or if it could do some basic work?

Here's the link: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...21#Description

I'm new to 4x4ing and have seen how useful a winch can be, and being my first winch I probably wont be lifting my Paj up the side of a cliff or anything.

But at this price I think it is an unbelievable price seeing the others cost minimum $600+ and my budget is very tight

Hope we get some good discussion going...

ARB Bullbar - 2" Lifted HD Lovells/Billies - Driving Lights - Upgraded Headlights - Custom Storage/Bed System & Curtains - 75L Fridge/Freezer - Dual Batts - Remote Head UHF - Engine Temperature Gauge/Alarm - 2.5m Awning - Cooper 265/75R16 AT3's on 16x7 BLAACK sunny's - TJM Air Compressor - Kenwood Stereo & Sub - Factory Roof Racks & Tow Bar - and a VERY long wish list!

Coming Soon (hopefully): Winch & Snorkel
Old 22-12-11
Valued Member

Earlier today I spotted Grays-online selling 12000lb-winches with them starting at $420 (+15% buyers-premium) & posted it on the ebay-thread (despite not ebay) but someone else posted up an ebayer seller selling the same ones even cheaper ;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12000lb-1...ht_5855wt_1259

Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
"I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
Old 22-12-11

Looks good mate but I'm not sure about reliability on either of the units (ebay or Super Cheap) any experiences?

Super Cheap has advantage at the moment as I'd rather have the product backed by such a big company with stores everywhere if I need warranty replacement

ARB Bullbar - 2" Lifted HD Lovells/Billies - Driving Lights - Upgraded Headlights - Custom Storage/Bed System & Curtains - 75L Fridge/Freezer - Dual Batts - Remote Head UHF - Engine Temperature Gauge/Alarm - 2.5m Awning - Cooper 265/75R16 AT3's on 16x7 BLAACK sunny's - TJM Air Compressor - Kenwood Stereo & Sub - Factory Roof Racks & Tow Bar - and a VERY long wish list!

Old 22-12-11
Valued Member

I have a Warn on mine so I can't tell you, but I'm more likely to trust that my 8,000 lb winch could to do the same job that those 12,000 lb Chinese winches could do!

Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
"I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
Old 22-12-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
I have a Warn on mine so I can't tell you, but I'm more likely to trust that my 8,000 lb winch could to do the same job that those 12,000 lb Chinese winches could do!

Steve
Yeah sounds about right haha

Its a hard decision... I guess I'm going to buy a hand-winch then!
No way I can afford decent quality, and I'd better not risk a cheapo incase it breaks right at that moment when you are stuck and alone hanging off a cliff in the bush somewhere.... and if you have a hand winch you are less likely to get stuck, knowing its hard work to get yourself out!!

Old 22-12-11

I have a cheap china one from ebay 12000lb, used it a few times and one of them times I had to drag the Paj on its diff and front cross member when I fell into some big ruts, it still pulls fine, but also good to have a snatch block.
Rick

Old 23-12-11

i have the supercheap winch from there last sale in july used it twice since with no problems yet
Old 23-12-11
Valued Member

Taken from the Forum's 'Ebay Findings' thread...

12,000lbs winch for $289.95 including delivery on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12000lb-1...ht_5855wt_1259

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 23-12-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my.paj View Post
I have a cheap china one from ebay 12000lb, used it a few times and one of them times I had to drag the Paj on its diff and front cross member when I fell into some big ruts, it still pulls fine, but also good to have a snatch block.
Rick
Snatch-blocks along with tree-protectors are useful (essential really) items to have in your recovery kit.
Years ago I bought a Brano hand-winch (thinking of selling it now, as it's hardly been used lately), & I've used it on occasion where a side-pull was the only option, but I should've spent the extra for the aluminium-bodied Tirfor as the Brano must be 50% heavier! Great for pulling out tree-stumps, etc., & even righted a forklift with it after a steering-pin sheared & it almost went right through a glass-door & window! (Regret not taking pics of that!)

Steve

Old 12-01-12

I bought a super cheap one just to try it out and it worked great . The motor and drum didn't seem to get to hot under load it pulled fine and compare to my other warn low mounts i think it out preformed it.

Im thinking about buying another one to use it on my comp truck for when Im not racing just to save having to replace things on my comp winch.

Simon