• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brownie
    • Nov 2008
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by craka View Post
    What BruceandBobbi said.

I've not had any problems with my NS Auto that has a DPF with 220000 Kms plus on the clock.

I have a feeling there is a number of issues relating to DPF problems, and one being that the incorrect oil is being used ie not using low ash oil of the correct specification and another being people not driving the vehicle long enough for engine to get hot enough.

I found that two local dealers that I was using to service my vehicle not using correct oil, thus started servicing myself.
    Yep, same here. Owned my NS since new. Never had a dpf issue or a problem with the Jatco gearbox. It did take Mitsubishi too long to develop the fix for the dpf, but if the software updates were done (mid 2008 from memory, but it could have been earlier), the dpf stopped causing problems. I do think using non low ash oil has caused many problems that are blamed on the dpf. If you do purchase a diesel auto NS, do read some history on this forum about the dpf issues - longest thread I have ever seen.
    Sold Pajero NS R SWB 2008
    Replaced with a 2018 Mazda BT50

Comment

• Boo Boo
      • Aug 2012
      • Kilsyth

I had an NS Pajero Auto for about 8 years and never had an issue.
      2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Giving my opinion in the NS debate. I have owned my NS diesel auto for around 5 years now on 250000kms with no DPF issues. When i purchased it with 170000kms it had a full service history and I have fully serviced it since. I am so so happy with my Pajero and has never let me down to date apart from normal servicing/parts/consumables that have required replacing.

I am a bit over cautious with servicing so engine oil and filter every 10000kms instead of the 15000km recommended service interval. Every other oil and filter (diff, transfer, auto transmission, air, fuel & cabin filters etc) are also changed far more regularly than the recommend kms/distance. Reason is I want to keep my Pajero for some time so want to give it the best chance to run for many years and I'm happy to pay some extra dollars for oil and filters to service it more regularly.

You will get differing opinions regarding NS v NT models due to every ones experiences. This has been discussed numerous times with varying points of views across a range of known/potential issues regarding DPF issues, cleaning intake manifold, Jatco v Asian gearbox differences, rust in doors and many many more. These discussions can become heated as the people offering opinions are all correct because it is based on their own experiences or what they have heard/read etc.

Do a google search and you'll find many threads and posts within this forum on this. Search on google typing in something like the below, which will bring up threads and posts within this forum.

pajero ns issues site:www2.pajeroclub.com.au

pajero ns dpf problems site:www2.pajeroclub.com.au

1 thing to consider is what type of driving will you do. Short around the city/town trips may create increased issues with DPF compared to longer highway runs. My Pajero gets a 25km highwy run to and from work evey day. And as I've said no DPF issues to date. The oil required is low ash for an NS auto and thus normally a little more in price is another slight negative for the NS.

If the DPF issue may cause you concern then look at NT or NW models so that it won't become any issue at any time and for your piece of mind. Same with gearbox as many state the Asian box is bettter/stronger etc for towing. And obviously it'll also come down to your budget, what model and specs/features you want, what extras like bullbars etc you want to already have on the Pajero when you buy.

Hopefully the information provided by others already have given you some things to consider in which model to choose. I understand you are after information but keeping on asking the same or similar question in new threads around the forum will only confuse you and possibly annoy some forum members. Keep it all in 1 place is my best advice bud.

Finally........which model would I recommend an NS, NT or NW? All of them
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• psproule
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Googong, NSW

Bruce&bobbi, I've actually driven them all over the years thanks.

Re the power outputs - NS auto diesel is 125kw / 358NM. NT auto diesel is 147/441. That's a solid difference between models.

I think you'll find the cluster gear pin failure in the Jatco box is predominant mainly in the petrol versions.

Pat
          2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
          2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2016
            • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by psproule View Post
            Bruce&bobbi, I've actually driven them all over the years thanks.

Re the power outputs - NS auto diesel is 125kw / 358NM. NT auto diesel is 147/441. That's a solid difference between models.

I think you'll find the cluster gear pin failure in the Jatco box is predominant mainly in the petrol versions.

Pat
            Pat I have always respected your knowledge on Pajeros but I haven't just driven an NS I have owned one for 333,000ks and still do.

Comment

• philski
              • Apr 2015
              • newcastle

[QUOTE=JasePaj;632704]Hi all,

Hope you’re all well during the great Covid period! I’m about to buy my first 4x4 and don’t really have a massive budget (18k) due to still being a young fella. I’ve been told that the NT/NW variants are much better than the NS in categories such as power/torque and fuel eco. The NS models are much more affordable and allow me extra money to kit them out. Are the differences so big that I’d be shafting myself buying an NS? What are the pros and cons of both? Your input would be amazing.

Cheers in advance![/QUOTE

NS is fine mine just hit 250k with no drama. Just block the EGR and put on a catch can(any NS running around now probably has this done already), a cheap throttle controller improves the drive as well.
              An NT would be a better buy these days though I think

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2016
                • Greater Sydney

Don't forget this one.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X