• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maphew
    • Aug 2009

Wired factory reverse camera to a Pioneer HU - Jumping

Hi guys,

Need some help here, I've installed a new double din Pioneer head unit using a MITO-02 harness which works well.
    The factory camera is giving me some grief though.

In the end, I have removed the camera from the rear wheel carrier and put it on the bench to test. I have 6v+ (red) and ground (black), signal (yellow) and shield (white). When I wire this up to a TV I have, it works fine, no problems at all.

When I take the RCA lead out of the TV ad plug it into the Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT head unit, video feed comes on but it's jumpy and scratchy. I tested with a second eBay camera both on the TV and headunit, works fine on TV, not so well in the car.

Any suggestions here?
    Starting to think I'll just start using my mirrors!!!
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Originally posted by maphew View Post
    Hi guys,

Need some help here, I've installed a new double din Pioneer head unit using a MITO-02 harness which works well.
    The factory camera is giving me some grief though.

In the end, I have removed the camera from the rear wheel carrier and put it on the bench to test. I have 6v+ (red) and ground (black), signal (yellow) and shield (white). When I wire this up to a TV I have, it works fine, no problems at all.

When I take the RCA lead out of the TV ad plug it into the Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT head unit, video feed comes on but it's jumpy and scratchy. I tested with a second eBay camera both on the TV and headunit, works fine on TV, not so well in the car.

Any suggestions here?
    Starting to think I'll just start using my mirrors!!!
    I have almost the same headunit and factory camera and no issues. Trying to remember, is there a menu setting for PAL/ NTSC on the headunit? If so mess around with that?
    Otherwise maybe headunit is faulty?
    When you say it's scratchy and jumpy, in a loose connection kind of way or something a bit more severe?
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• maphew
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
      I have almost the same headunit and factory camera and no issues. Trying to remember, is there a menu setting for PAL/ NTSC on the headunit? If so mess around with that?
      Otherwise maybe headunit is faulty?
      When you say it's scratchy and jumpy, in a loose connection kind of way or something a bit more severe?
      Thanks for the reply, it's definitely not a loose connection, I've tested two cameras on a tv and just found another rear view mirror screen. Works fine, I'll take a look at the menu settings. Didn't see anything in there before, but worth another look.

Comment

• NWDarwin
        • Jun 2018
        • Canberra

Are the camera and stereo earthed properly in the car? Have you got the camera connected to 12v or 6v in the car? If you’ve only got it connected to 6v, the stereo may need a 12v input for the screen to trigger?

Comment

• paceman
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2018
          • Mackay

have you modified the harness at all?

loose wiring?

incidentally, have you got some pics of the installed unit in the console?

also, how did you handle the 12v to 6v issues with the camera?
          Last edited by paceman; 01-05-20, 02:39 PM.
          Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

This doesn't help but I've just installed an Alpine unit in mine (NX) and have no issues at all with the factory reverse camera.
            2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Keithyv
              Valued Member
              • May 2018
              • Perth

Any chance of maybe uploading a video of the issue?
              MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• maphew
                • Aug 2009

Turned out the RCA input on the pioneer was faulty. tested this by connecting the rearview camera to the AUX RCA and it worked fine. I wasn't happy with the quality of the factory camera and replaced it with a Pioneer RCAMAVIC.
                Very happy with the quality.

Comment

• Keithyv
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2018
                  • Perth

Turned out the RCA input on the pioneer was faulty. tested this by connecting the rearview camera to the AUX RCA and it worked fine. I wasn't happy with the quality of the factory camera and replaced it with a Pioneer RCAMAVIC.
                  Very happy with the quality.
                  Yes stock camera is pretty ordinary.
                  So I’m guessing you got the headunit replaced?

Comment

• maphew
                    • Aug 2009

Yes stock camera is pretty ordinary.
                    So I’m guessing you got the headunit replaced?
                    Yeah - bought the unit from Super Cheap Auto - no questions or complaints, they swapped it straight over.
                    I did get on to the local Pioneer rep who ran me through a few tests before I went to do a swap.

I got the Pioneer RCAMAVIC - big difference IMO.

Comment

• Keithyv
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2018
                      • Perth

Yeah - bought the unit from Super Cheap Auto - no questions or complaints, they swapped it straight over.
                      I did get on to the local Pioneer rep who ran me through a few tests before I went to do a swap.

I got the Pioneer RCAMAVIC - big difference IMO.
                      I assume you had to hook the new camera up to a 12v feed rather than the factory 6V feed? (why they used 6V is beyond me..)

Comment

• maphew
                        • Aug 2009

I assume you had to hook the new camera up to a 12v feed rather than the factory 6V feed? (why they used 6V is beyond me..)
                        Correct - was simple, just picked up ground and accessory (+) from the head unit wiring harness.
                        Makes no sense to me either, a 12v camera would have been one less thing to wire.

Glad I made the decision to upgrade the camera, was hesitating, but figured while the car was apart, time was now.

Comment

• Mrwade
                          • Jan 2018
                          • Newcastle

hey mate, did you need to get a new fascia or did the pioneer unit go straight in?

Comment

• Extoyotaman
                            • Feb 2014
                            • Wollongong

I am having a world of hurt right now understanding the wiring harnesses the bloke at the audio shop offloaded onto me today with my aftermarket head unit . I’ve done many head units before in cars , but since they couldn’t get ours in for a month and a half I decided to give it a go myself . He’s given me 3 boxes of wires and harnesses amd it just looks like spaghetti .

I’ve removed our factory unit but seem to be left with heaps of clips and wires with no where to go and a plug that went in the factory unit that also has nowhere to go .

Can anyone poimt me towards a fools guide to replacing the unit in a NX ? I’ve trawled these forums for about 3 hours now and can’t find a single thread relevant to NX head unit replacement wiring OR , the tab to post my own thread .

Sorry , maybe I’m just very tired and am having a brain fart from stress .

Comment

• YellowNZ
                              • Dec 2020
                              • Gisborne

Hi There, I'm wanting to install that same head unit in my Pajero using the MITO 02 harness. I was just wondering if you have the 10 or 12 speaker Rockford setup. And was the MITO 02 setup plug and play, or did you have to tinker a lot with it to get it going? Cheers, Martin

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X