• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mundy55
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2015
    • Gold Coast

What's with Mitsubishi in USA?

Just got back from 5 weeks touring in south west USA. Noticed I wasn't seeing any pajeros (ie Monteros) or many other Mitsubishi vehicles either. Then met a guy with a 1996 Montero and was shocked to find Mitsubishi stopped selling monteros in 2006. Looked on their web site and was very surprised to find they only sell 3 models: outlander, mirage and eclipse cross.
    What's with Mitsubishi in the USA?
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Yes it is disappointing since USA is such a big market. A quick Google search shows numerous issues MM had in the US over many years. Toyota is doing very well there.
    Last edited by dreamerman; 22-04-19, 10:55 AM.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

Yes I read an article recently re. the US market & Mitsubishi - they are just offering those cheap small 'SUV's' and apparently doing quite well with the Outlander. A bit like here in Australia, the cheap end of the market is where they are doing well.

The lineup is especially ancient over there, even more so than here. Pretty sure they have no sedans here now?
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

I only learnt last week that they manufactured cars in USA - the town was called “Normal” from memory. You can still see the factory in Google Maps. Says “Permanently closed” as of around 2015/2016 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mundy55
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2015
          • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
          ....... Pretty sure they have no sedans here now?
          You can still buy a Lancer in sedan form.

I've said it before; IMHO Mitsubishi is one of the most underrated marques in Australia and I don't understand why. Good quality, reliable, great value for money, better customer service than most (not great, just better).

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
            IMHO Mitsubishi is one of the most underrated marques in Australia and I don't understand why
            What didn’t help was that for a while back there they were giving us butt ugly vehicles like this classic...

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

And this one..

And let’s not forget this one...

Honestly I reckon these stylings circa 2002-2005 turned a lot of people off Mitsubishi. A car’s looks is just as important in buyers’ eyes as the other factors you mentioned. And I say this with sadness because I’ve been a Mitsubishi fan for 15-20 years. I just remember that period of styling as being a huge disappointment.

Comment

• Keithyv
                Valued Member
                • May 2018
                • Perth

Originally posted by Mundy55 View Post
                You can still buy a Lancer in sedan form.
                Only in run-out I think. Latest model is 2017, still being sold as new...
                2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• bennyb29
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2015
                  • Brisbane

There are a lot of happy Montero owners in the Colorado area who use and maintain their Gen 2 and Gen 3 cars with pride. I contribute to an Instagram profile dedicated to the Pajero (#mitsipajero), and see quite a few of these folks who send in pics to feature.
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

• DID Dash
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Australia

Might need to change my user name to ‘Blind Freddy’ as I have owned and loved 2 of the 3 butt uglies.. That model Outlander was a great reliable and comfortable family wagon, still have a TL Magna sedan in the family going strong at 15 years old, and also have the Pajero Sport in the driveway with it’s ‘interesting’ rear styling. Luckily we are all different or life would be boring.
                    17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X