• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thefunkysoulone
    • Sep 2011
    • New Zealandia

New Pajero?

My three years is rapidly coming up on my latest Pajero and there doesn't look like there is going to be a new model available, at least not in NZ.

I'm struggling to think of any other vehicle that would be a replacement that isn't either too expensive, too electric, diesel or too fancy.

unfortunately keeping my current paj isn't an option.

Anybody thought of what could be a worth successor?
    MY15 Pajero Exceed
    New Zealandia
  • gaz1
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Blue Mountains NSW

I think we need to know what you anticipate doing with the vehicle, eg hard core 4WD-ing, caravan towing, a bit of both, lots of modifications or none, etc etc..... The recommendations will likely vary quite a bit depending on use.
    2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• thefunkysoulone
      • Sep 2011
      • New Zealandia

wont be any hardcore 4wd or towing but work on construction, predominantly rural, where we end up in pretty bad conditions and need something that is heavy duty that can take some knocks. don't want a ute as need to be able to use it at the weekend camping etc.

haven't done any modifications, but have give the underside a few bangs, bent stone guards etc so would probably want to be able to fit some bash plates/underside protection.
      MY15 Pajero Exceed
      New Zealandia

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

Really the choices to me would include Isuzu MU-X, Fortuner, Prado and Everest I suppose.

When you say a new model is not available, why not buy a new NX? (they are still on sale at least in Australia)
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2014
          • Wellington,New Zealand

exceed still available here too.they have a "special offer" $59990.Am kiinda thinkin about it myself
          2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
          BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• 2bad4u
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Perth, Western Australia

Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Well priced with lots of features. A V6 diesel that pulls like a freight train. 3500kg tow capacity with a 6099kg GCM and a very capable 4x4 system.

I know they have a bad reputation which is why I struggled to be convinced to buy one even though it ticked all the boxes. But once I started talking to actual owners, my mind was changed. Most of the bad stories I heard usually started with "A friend of mine owned one....", "I know someone who once owned one...", etc. Had ours for about 2 months now and love it.
            Warren
            2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
            2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Keithyv
              Valued Member
              • May 2018
              • Perth

I fairly seriously considered a Jeep to replace my old Terracan.
              Too good to be true - all those features and great engine etc for a good price (I'm talking 2011 to 2013 era Grand Cherokee Diesel, i.e. looking to buy second hand).
              I too had seen all the horror stories but had decided maybe they were just that - stories.
              I was starting to look seriously when I ran into a guy I know at a wedding. Had not seen him for ages. He was telling another guy about his Jeep. I wandered up and listened in and then asked him about it. He was near the end of his tether, failure after failure. Gearbox, transfer case and other stuff I can't remember.

That plus my mate's brother (Grand Cherokee Diesel as well). Pretty similar story (But I have not met him in person to ask him about that case but I have no doubts about that story) Those 2 stories made up my mind. Ended up buying the Pajero.

Of course there are good ones, I'm sure the majority are but I just was scared off - those 2 'direct' experiences were the last straw for me.
              2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
              MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• 2bad4u
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
                I fairly seriously considered a Jeep to replace my old Terracan.
                Too good to be true - all those features and great engine etc for a good price (I'm talking 2011 to 2013 era Grand Cherokee Diesel, i.e. looking to buy second hand).
                I too had seen all the horror stories but had decided maybe they were just that - stories.
                I was starting to look seriously when I ran into a guy I know at a wedding. Had not seen him for ages. He was telling another guy about his Jeep. I wandered up and listened in and then asked him about it. He was near the end of his tether, failure after failure. Gearbox, transfer case and other stuff I can't remember.

That plus my mate's brother (Grand Cherokee Diesel as well). Pretty similar story (But I have not met him in person to ask him about that case but I have no doubts about that story) Those 2 stories made up my mind. Ended up buying the Pajero.

Of course there are good ones, I'm sure the majority are but I just was scared off - those 2 'direct' experiences were the last straw for me.
                Who would by a Patrol with their hand grenade engines? Who would buy a Landcruiser with their oil burning issues? Who would buy a Ranger with their engine/transmission issues? etc, etc. Every manufacturer has their issues, even this forum has Pajero / Triton / Challenger horror stories.

Find a car that you like and suits your needs and budget, then buy it.
                Warren
                2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
                2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2000
                  • Tasmania

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
                  Who would by a Patrol with their hand grenade engines? Who would buy a Landcruiser with their oil burning issues? Who would buy a Ranger with their engine/transmission issues? etc, etc. Every manufacturer has their issues, even this forum has Pajero / Triton / Challenger horror stories.

Find a car that you like and suits your needs and budget, then buy it.
                  yeah its a bit of a lottery isnt it. But you know of all the vehicles (2wd & 4wd) I ve owned over the years & its well over 20 (inc Jeep) , you know which ones have been the most reliable? You guessed it, the good old Paj.!
                  NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                  NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• KP3560
                    • Apr 2010
                    • Morgan SA

We have just purchased new MY18 Exceed to replace MY16 Exceed
                    Everything the same but still a great reliable 4WD.
                    My wife loves the fact nothing has changed except colour (had to have know we had new one)

Still good value for money, I think this is our 14th Pajero

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2000
                      • Tasmania

Originally posted by KP3560 View Post
                      We have just purchased new MY18 Exceed to replace MY16 Exceed
                      Everything the same but still a great reliable 4WD.
                      My wife loves the fact nothing has changed except colour (had to have know we had new one)

Still good value for money, I think this is our 14th Pajero
                      14! you must be keen. I'm on my 5th
                      NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                      NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• thefunkysoulone
                        • Sep 2011
                        • New Zealandia

Other than the audio system, are there any other changes to the recent models past MY15?
                        MY15 Pajero Exceed
                        New Zealandia

Comment

• Danno47
                          • Jul 2018
                          • Townsville

Originally posted by thefunkysoulone View Post
                          Other than the audio system, are there any other changes to the recent models past MY15?
                          Yep, I have both, an EGR that has resisted being turned off completely so far (may or may not bother you) and most importantly a DPF that dilutes and ruins the oil in about 2-3000k's and robs you of some power but other than that is not giving anyone too much grief so far like the earlier models, so other than that they're pretty much identical but after observing what it does to it's oil I worry about its long term reliability, not helped in this case by the fact that according to the book you are only now supposed to use a 5w/30 oil no matter what and that certainly doesn't need further thinning out by diesel dilution from the DPF...

Comment

• spot01
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by thefunkysoulone View Post
                            In Oz, MY17 gained a DPF, possibly other engine/emission changes & slight change to final drive ratios, to meet the new emission regulations (unsure if NZ followed?).
                            MY16 onwards GLX lost HID low beams.
                            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• farcanal
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Danno47 View Post
                              Yep, I have both, an EGR that has resisted being turned off completely so far (may or may not bother you) and most importantly a DPF that dilutes and ruins the oil in about 2-3000k's and robs you of some power but other than that is not giving anyone too much grief so far like the earlier models, so other than that they're pretty much identical but after observing what it does to it's oil I worry about its long term reliability, not helped in this case by the fact that according to the book you are only now supposed to use a 5w/30 oil no matter what and that certainly doesn't need further thinning out by diesel dilution from the DPF...
                              How does the DPF dilute the oil?
                              My understanding is the DPF catches diesel particles from the motor before they enter the atmosphere and then this is burnt off using heat and fuel whenever required.
                              I'm happy to be corrected.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X