Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 20-11-14

I have a 2010 with 90k on it, and am looking to replace it in the next 6 months or so. After seeing the Triton, I can see what the next Challenger will probably look like, and it not nice. After owing mitsubishi 4wds since 1985 - first was a swb pajero in 85, and another 7 since then, last one was an NS, and then this Challenger, and never any problems in any of them...if what I see is anything to go by - it will be a Ford Everest for me ... After being such a loyal mitsubishi customer as well.
Old 20-11-14
Valued Member

I just went and had a look at the Triton. Not sure what all the styling hoohaa is about, just looks like bigger restyle than the PC was. PC should have been a PBII and this one could easily just be the PC. Don't love the styling but it doesn't bother me either I'd buy one on styling and interior looks fine. Don't like the car like taillights on a ute but will be fine on the wagon. Just can't go past the engine size.

Did notice though that you guys appear to be also loosing the traditional transfer case shifter which means one more leap into the total reliance on electronics.
Old 20-11-14
Valued Member

The Ford Everest with 225mm ground clearance plus 3.2 diesel and six speed auto will be the one to watch but get ready for a big price tag depending how the marketing "experts" position it. Would not surprise me if it is priced at the Toyota 76 series or Prado been a "premium" vehicle. This will leave enough of the market for the Challenger to sneak in but will put the thumb screws on the Pajero and any vehicle aiming for a premium.

So likely the Challenger will still be the bargain base 4wd. O'well, nothing wrong with that.
2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.
Old 20-11-14

Love it how people complain about the minimum power. Did they think they were buying a sport car?

I have both sides of the scale. A car ive built for the track, and a work van that has 62kws at 2.6 tone.

For how much we paid. I couldnt expect any more!
Old 20-11-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
I have a 2010 with 90k on it, and am looking to replace it in the next 6 months or so. After seeing the Triton, I can see what the next Challenger will probably look like, and it not nice. After owing mitsubishi 4wds since 1985 - first was a swb pajero in 85, and another 7 since then, last one was an NS, and then this Challenger, and never any problems in any of them...if what I see is anything to go by - it will be a Ford Everest for me ... After being such a loyal mitsubishi customer as well.
I really don't think the Everest will be priced any where near the next Challenger when comparing similar spec.

Styling wise, I don't like the grill of the new triton but that is easily changed and will be changed by Mitsubishi themselves in facelift models. If the Challenger stays at a similar price point, I'll be sticking with them. i recently drove an Outlander for a day and was impressed by the build quality so if the Challenger is anything like that I'll be happy. Saying that, the Outlander had 5000km on the clock and the AC didn't work on a recent 34C day on the Gold Coast.
Old 20-11-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Challenger View Post
Love it how people complain about the minimum power. Did they think they were buying a sport car?

I have both sides of the scale. A car ive built for the track, and a work van that has 62kws at 2.6 tone.

For how much we paid. I couldnt expect any more!
That's rubbish. I paid more for my auto Challenger than a manual owner does and got less torque. I also paid less money for our diesel Hyundai and got more power and torque. And it's got nothing to do with sports car behaviour, power or more correctly torque as most are complaining of on here has everything to do with a capable 4wd and more importantly a vehicle rated to tow 3 ton.
Old 21-11-14
Valued Member

Engine capacity is not as definitive of performance as it once was, for example the Ford 2.2 liter diesel which is used by several makers can be specced up to 420nm which is pretty good in a medium sized SUV. Of course, as usual with Missybitchy, that engine which is used in the Outlander is limited to something around 350nm.

So there is no reason why the new 2.4 liter could not produce say 450nm but you can bet that it will be restricted to a lot less than that.
Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD
Old 21-11-14

I don't mind the look of it. If anything I think it looks better than the current one. The grill is a bit out there, but I think it's one of those things that'll grow on you.

The engine specs are ok for what it is. Depending on the gearing it could work ok, although the peak torque is fairly high in the rev range.. produces 133kW at 3500rpm and 430Nm of torque at 2500rpm.

Agreed re comments above and the Ford Everest. That'd have to be my No. 1 pick as a Challenger replacement at the moment, but I can't see it being within my price range.
Old 21-11-14

I dont think an Everest would be in the same price range as a revised Challenger, more like Pajero pricing, but at least it wouldn't make me throw up every time I looked at it...
Old 21-11-14
Valued Member

430nm is it? Nothing wrong with that in a medium sized SUV providing that's for the auto and manual. Do prefer the more truck like styling of the Everest though, it's got me beat why most ute and SUV 'stylists' try to make them look like a sedan.
Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD