Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger/ Pajero Sport > Pajero Sport

Pajero Sport The Pajero Sport new to Oz

Old 13-05-18

Default Towing camper with Pajero or Pajero Sport

Hey all you Pajero owners.

We have recently purchased a soft top camper that is relatively large.Tare weight of 1350 and ATM of 2000. We are looking to buy a 4wd for towing more effectively than our Kia Sorrento. Kia has max tow capacity of 2000 so we are right on the limit. We are planning occasional weekend trips around SA and then a 2 month trip to central Australia and possibly Darwin.

We have been looking at Pajero and Pajero Sport amongst other regulars of Prado, MUX, etc...

We have test driven the Pajero and Pajero Sport and felt that the Sport didnít have the same power as the Pajero, even though the engine power is similar on the specs. Obviously though we were not able to hook up the camper and tow with the test vehicles (need electric brakes).

Does anyone out there have experience towing similar weight with Pajero Sport who would be willing to share their experiences good/bad/otherwise.???

Thanks all

M
Old 14-05-18
Valued Member

Smile

We tow a 21 foot full size caravan with a Pajero sport and find that it handles the 2700 Kg quite well.

We towed the same van with an NT Pajero for a couple of years and find that towing with the Paj Sport we do need to drop a gear earlier than the NT.

Having said that, I tow in manual therefore we are touring in sixth gear so back to fifth on a big hill is no great problem.

I prefer towing and driving the Paj Sport as it is a much quieter car all round and when towing we get at least 2 ltrs / 100 better than the NT.

I'm not sure what the latest Pajero and Prado tow figures are but the Sport has a maximum of 3100 Kg and a maximum tow ball weight of 310 Kg's.
This would allow for something bigger in the future if you get bitten by the upsize bug! Also allowing for more water and fuel cans etc. if you want to carry them.

If you do a search on this Pajero Sport part of the forum you will find where I put a bit more info up on towing with it.
Old 14-05-18
Valued Member

Just because they say you can, it doesn't mean you should.

The Sport has a payload of 665kg. Now add the wife and a couple of kids, say that's 180 and then hook up a van with a tow ball weight of 300kg.

In that situation you've used up 480 of the available 665 so you've got 185kg left for any gear, water, a set of drawers and all the other stuff you need to take away. Then you might have a bull bar, second battery and extra fuel capacity to add as well. It all has to go on top of the kerb weight so make sure you are within specs.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 14-05-18

All the 4wd you've mentioned will tow 2000kg no problem , we drove most before settling on the PS GLS .The 8 speed auto make towing relaxing plus its a nice vehicle to drive when your not . Drive them all , forget about the towing (they all will ) and check drive away price if that is a concern for you . Will be surprised if you don't choose the PS . The biggest complaint I have seen is the size of the tank (68L) , which only the Prado would be substantially better . I carry 3X 10L jerry on my 2.2T van and some time soon will get a bigger tank (probable around 110L) once there are a few to choose from .cheers
Old 14-05-18

Have towed our 2t camper trailer around Mereenie Loop from Kings Canyon to Alice and then down the Oodnadatta Track from Marla to Roxby Downs as well as a few shorter trips in the Flinders without any problems. This September we intend go up the Birdsville Track to Birdsville, around to Innamincka, Cameron Corner then down to Arkaroola via the Strzelecki Track. I have no concerns about doing any of this with the Pajero Sport with only minor modifications such as slightly beefed up rear suspension (pedders & Kings thanks to OJ). The fuel tank capacity has not been a problem to this point and I have not carried any extra fuel. However I may take a jerry can to Birdsville just in case, it will be interesting to discover if I need it or not.
Having said this, IMHO 2t is max for this vehicle, any heavier and I’d be getting it chipped as it definitely feels to me as if it on on the upper limits of its capabilities. The 8 speed auto is great but as other have mentioned towing in manual is best, Oodnadatta Track was 80kph in 6th or 7th @ 2-2,500 rpm depending on conditions and achieving between 14 – 16.5lt per 100km.
So in answer to your question; yes the PS will tow 2t without any major concerns if your mainly intending to do backroad travelling however if you mean genuine rugged off road then perhaps other forum members can help with that.
Old 14-05-18
Valued Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
Just because they say you can, it doesn't mean you should.

The Sport has a payload of 665kg. Now add the wife and a couple of kids, say that's 180 and then hook up a van with a tow ball weight of 300kg.

In that situation you've used up 480 of the available 665 so you've got 185kg left for any gear, water, a set of drawers and all the other stuff you need to take away. Then you might have a bull bar, second battery and extra fuel capacity to add as well. It all has to go on top of the kerb weight so make sure you are within specs.
That's why I would NEVER tow a Trailer without putting it over an official weighbridge fully loaded ready for a trip.

Everything we load into the 'van and the car is weighed if any changes are made.

Frankly it's not that hard to keep within the limits.

No kids, no bullbar, no drawers, no extra water, no extra battery, we do have a long range fuel tank.

We do carry Sat dish and aluminium tables and camp chairs most of our stuff is fixed in the 'van.

Keith.
Old 14-05-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commodore View Post
That's why I would NEVER tow a Trailer without putting it over an official weighbridge fully loaded ready for a trip.
Keith.
Spot on
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with Toyo OPAT AT2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.