• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monkeyboy
    • Oct 2017
    • Sydney

New to this

Hi all,

After a bit of advice. I recently purchased a 2012 PB LS Challenger. Great so far and has tackled everything. Im not sure if it's been lifted or not but it seems a touch higher than others on the road.

i've just had a set of MCC steps and side/scrub bars installed but i'm now looking at a proper lift kit and bigger/wider tyres. Currently running the stock 17in alloys with 265/65/17 cooper ST's.

What's the biggest wheel/tyre combo i'm likely to fit on a challenger that has no lift?
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Welcome Monkeyboy,

A suspension lift does not give you anymore clearance as the suspension travel is not changed just the ride height. The ST Pro is a big tyre for its theoretical size so you may be a to go up a profile to a LT265/70-17 but your front clearance will be reduced so some snow chains will not fit the front without hitting the front mudflap at 3/4 lock.
    Changing offset also increases the lose of clearance at 3/4 lock.

There are some people that are running 33" 285 wide but they have removed the front mudflap and trimmed the inner guard lining at the front.
    Lifting the front suspension by more than 30mm is illegal as you do not retain 2/3 of factory wheel travel in droop. Also if you lift too high it loads up the CV joints and it is common for these to snap when running big tyres and big lifts then going too hard offroad.

If you have an auto trans then the auto will not like the bigger tyres, expect fuel consumption to increase and also ATF temps.
    If you have a manual trans then the bigger tyres will up your gearing so expect increased fuel consumption and also needing to slip the clutch much more when towing, hill starts and offroad.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• amec
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Wamberal

Post a pic of the front and rear suspenders and someone here will quickly say if its the original kit.

Do you want a bigger tyre for a reason? If its just for appearance some tyres in original size look bigger due to the type or construction like mud tyres for example.

My Toyo AT's look bigger than stock but are the same specced size as stock.

Nce to have you with us.
      PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• 900canoes
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • FNQ

If you cannot post pics then tell us your EBH for each corner.
        2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• Monkeyboy
          • Oct 2017
          • Sydney

So i had a look at the suspension and it says Ironman Nitro?

I was hoping to put a set of 33 maxxis tyres on but have no idea the dimensions that i need. Very noob to it all. reason for bigger tyres is more contact area to the road/mud.

The car is a Manual and i also noticed when looking around under it, there's a lot of underbody protection.

Comment

• Ent
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2014
            • Tasmania

Hi

I a running 235/85R16 tyres which are taller than the standard ones by around 16mm. Mine is a manual rather loaded with accessories so it really feels the taller gearing. I have a Marks low range 2.85 transfer gear (as opposed to 1.9 factory) so that deals with the higher gearing in low range, but in high range the vehicle feels rather over geared. It would be fair to say that MMAL geared the vehicle as high as they could to get good fuel consumption, so even the modest increase in tyre diameter has rather an impact.

For me fifth will no longer hold going up hills on the highway, thus forcing down changes, which with the manual the fifth to fourth is a bugger to get right as the lever appears to get lost in no-mans land. No issue changing up or down in other gears. On country roads it is easier to leave the vehicle in fourth as you now fall of the turbo quickly once speed drops below 90kmph.

The 235/85R16 allows the use of snow chains, but your rim is rather exposed due to the narrower tyre and rather wide 7" rim.

In all, maybe sneak up one size, but expect that the gearing to be rather compromised if you load on bash plates, bullbars, etc. If you normally run light then ok no great issues. I would hate to think of my vehicle with taller tyres again.

If you are towing then I strongly suggest sticking to factory size tyres.

The issue is on some deeply rutted tracks the monster 36" brigade have made life difficult. But the Challenger is not really suited to excessively tall tyres. Being independent front suspension you get good clearance, as no diff to foul. On the rear only taller tyres will lift the diff.

I went with a size up in tyres and moderate lift so have in effect similar or slightly better ground clearance than an off the showroom floor Landrover Defender. DooSo will never be able to legally and practically run monster tyres and huge suspension lift. But the Challenger is still very capable off-road assuming you do not get trapped into deep ruts made by the monster trucks.
            2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• Monkeyboy
              • Oct 2017
              • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Welcome Monkeyboy,

A suspension lift does not give you anymore clearance as the suspension travel is not changed just the ride height. The ST Pro is a big tyre for its theoretical size so you may be a to go up a profile to a LT265/70-17 but your front clearance will be reduced so some snow chains will not fit the front without hitting the front mudflap at 3/4 lock.
              Changing offset also increases the lose of clearance at 3/4 lock.

There are some people that are running 33" 285 wide but they have removed the front mudflap and trimmed the inner guard lining at the front.
              Lifting the front suspension by more than 30mm is illegal as you do not retain 2/3 of factory wheel travel in droop. Also if you lift too high it loads up the CV joints and it is common for these to snap when running big tyres and big lifts then going too hard offroad.

If you have an auto trans then the auto will not like the bigger tyres, expect fuel consumption to increase and also ATF temps.
              If you have a manual trans then the bigger tyres will up your gearing so expect increased fuel consumption and also needing to slip the clutch much more when towing, hill starts and offroad.

OJ.
              Thanks for all the info!

Not sure about how to trim an inner guard lining (or what it is) but i'm sure it'd be easy enough to remove the front mudflaps.

If i was to get a set of 33" tires, do you happen to know what the specs of the tire would have to be?

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Standard tyre diameter is 776mm and legally you can increase this by 50mm as long as the tyres do not rub on the body work, suspension, steering or anything else. So this means a max legal tyre size if they physically fit of 826mm (32.5").

Tyre size options, based on Cooper St Maxx specifications are;

In 16" so this would mean a rim change.
                245/75R16 779mm dia. Rim 6.5"-8".
                235/85R16 812mm dia. Rm 6"-7.5".
                265/75R16 813mm dia. Rim 7"-8".
                255/85R16 833mm dia. Rim 6.5"-8" (over max legal size).
                285/75R16 836mm dia. Rim 7.5"-9" (over max legal size).

In 17";
                265/65R17 776mm dia. Rim 7.5"-9.5".
                245/70R17 780mm dia. Rim 6.5"-8"
                265/70R17 809mm dia. Rim 7"-8.5"
                275/70R17 817mm dia. Rim 7"-8".
                285/70R17 838mm dia. Rim 7.5"-9". (over max legal size).

Modern 4wds are not like old live axle 4wds so the "big tyre" mod is fraught with legal and insurance implications as well as putting extra load on independent suspension components. Be careful what you wish for and the implications of such mods.

OJ.
                Last edited by old Jack; 20-10-17, 09:02 AM.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Apollo
                  • Dec 2016
                  • Cooloola Coast QLD

I run a set of standard 265/70/16 HT tyres in my normal use and have a second set of 265/75/16 km2 muddies for travelling outback and 4wding trips. My PC is a manual and chipped. I tow a 1T camper (with the km2s on) or a 1.5t boat (with the HTs on). Based on experience so far, I would not want to go any bigger than these. It was noticable how much the performance/fuel was affected towing the camper when I temporarily had the chip out. My current set up is legal and I will keep it that way.

Comment

• whereswes
                    • Feb 2015
                    • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by Monkeyboy View Post
                    So i had a look at the suspension and it says Ironman Nitro?
                    Just wondering if the springs are yellow? If so there's a chance you've got an Ironman system fitted which is around a 30 to 40mm lift.

Cheers
                    Wes
                    2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• 02-SR5
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2010
                      • Toowoomba

Originally posted by Monkeyboy View Post
                      Thanks for all the info!

Not sure about how to trim an inner guard lining (or what it is) but i'm sure it'd be easy enough to remove the front mudflaps.

If i was to get a set of 33" tires, do you happen to know what the specs of the tire would have to be?
                      I fitted a set of 285/70/17 Pirelli Scorpion AT's. That was fitted to standard sized rims.

I had an OME HD suspension kit (ride was like poo, I hated the ride and driving it) and I had no rubbing issues anywhere. Looked great too ��
                      MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• Monkeyboy
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by whereswes View Post
                        Just wondering if the springs are yellow? If so there's a chance you've got an Ironman system fitted which is around a 30 to 40mm lift.

Cheers
                        Wes
                        They look black? but the shocks are white.

Comment

• whereswes
                          • Feb 2015
                          • Melbourne, Australia

Pretty sure ironman springs are yellow.other than OEM not sure what else would be black.
                          2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• littleriver
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Queensland

Originally posted by whereswes View Post
                            Pretty sure ironman springs are yellow.other than OEM not sure what else would be black.
                            EFS are black ...

EFS Front and Rear Heavy Duty Coil Springs - Shot Peened, Scragged and Powder Coated. Front EFS Elite 4WD Shocks Absorbers. Rear EFS Elite 4WD Shocks Absorbers. Pair of Front Heavy Duty EFS Coil Springs Light Load Up to 65kg.

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Onyx
                              • Mar 2015
                              • ACT

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                              EFS are black ...

EFS Front and Rear Heavy Duty Coil Springs - Shot Peened, Scragged and Powder Coated. Front EFS Elite 4WD Shocks Absorbers. Rear EFS Elite 4WD Shocks Absorbers. Pair of Front Heavy Duty EFS Coil Springs Light Load Up to 65kg.

As are OME/ARB.
                              MY14 PC Manual - XROX bar, Runva 11XP winch, OME suspension, Basha plates, diff breathers extended, MM tow bar, Safari snorkel, Triton GLX-R wheels and Toyo OPATII 265/65 R17, OEM wheels and Hankook Dynapro MT 265/75 R16 for fun.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X