• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snowgum
    • Nov 2013
    • Melbourne

2nd spare needed:18 inch rim

Im having a bit of fun trying to make up a second spare for the 2013 VRX, which has 18 inch wheels. My tyre dealer sourced a steel 18 inch rim for $110, but when he tried to fit it to the VRX he found it fitted on the back but not the front - clearly the wrong offset to clear the front brake calipers. Must admit I was surprised there would be differences between front and back brakes!

Had a look on EBAY, but nothing around, so Ill try the wreckers next week to see if I can find a used alloy rim. (MM quote around $800 for a new alloy rim - way outside what I think is reasonable for a spare..)

Does anyone know where to source an 18 inch steel rim with 46mm offset so I can have a second spare for my 2013 VRX?

Chris
  • TristanNL
    Valued Member
    • May 2013
    • Horsham

Would this do the job? 18" Alloy - not local though

Cheers
    2013 NW GLXR (MY14) Auto

Comment

• Snowgum
      • Nov 2013
      • Melbourne

[QUOTE=TristanNL;374697]Would this do the job? 18" Alloy - not local though

Checked this out - as you say its not local to me. I see that it was sold for $108.50, a very very good price for an 18 inch alloy plus what looks like a new Dunlop GrandTrek.
      I ended up buying a similar alloy locally for a bit more than twice that price, but as I see it I saved on having to drive from Melbourne to NSW central coast to pick it up!
      I now have my second spare, ready for some outback touring...
      Chris

Comment

• rishadfromoz
        • Dec 2011
        • Sydney

Hi Snowgum

Turns out my spare tyre has a 17 inch rim whereas my other wheels are all 18 and I am also looking for a spare. Would you mind replying or messaging me with then place you found yours?

Thanks
        Rishad

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

Originally posted by rishadfromoz View Post
          Hi Snowgum

Turns out my spare tyre has a 17 inch rim whereas my other wheels are all 18 and I am also looking for a spare. Would you mind replying or messaging me with then place you found yours?

Thanks
          Rishad
          Running a 17" rim as a spare when you are running 18" wheels on the car will not matter, so long as the rolling circumference of the tyres matches (or is very close).
          i.e. you could run a 265/70x16, a 265/65x17 or a 265/60x18 together without any problem as the rolling circumference of these sized tyres are very close.
          Cheers, Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• rad_23_3
            • Dec 2010
            • Vic

Keep on trawling eBay or Gumtree. I picked up a secondhand 18" rim in good nick for $150 off ebay . About $25 to courier (rim only). They pop up quite frequently.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X