Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bits and Pieces

Bits and Pieces Whatever does not fit into the other catergories.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Default Brand new caravan write off Bruce Hwy.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...rning/12402706
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Yeah I towed tandem traler other day fully aware back heavy way I loaded, no choice way machine was, back heavy & loaded other way no good.

Above 90 you could feel sway start, hit the button & back off, keep speed down & all was well.

I was expecting it & have towed for 15 years deliveries as part of my job, so was not a complete surprise.

These towable homes even worse longer more up leverage when loaded wrong & get out of sync.

Be very very careful & aware of how she's towing me thinks

I recall many years ago with my father actually whom drove interstate, a van past us, totally loose as a goose you could see it, Newell hwy & about 20 minutes later we came across same van in about 3000 pieces.

I'm not big fan of the accelerate out of it theory i hear people spook myself, no thanks bigger balls than I
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

In the bad old days, whilst I was renovating my house, I had to make many trips to Canberra (mainly medical reasons). I used to put my 7' x 4' trailer on the back of the car and go up to get some building materials whilst I was there. The worst load was about 12 sheets of Gyproc, most of them being 3.6 m long by 1.2 m wide, some of them 1.35 m wide as well. I used to buy some 38 x 38 mm pine pieces to use as battens, and laid them on top of the trailer box. I would then load the Gyproc on top of the battens, and then top that off with more battens, all securely tied down with ropes. The centre of gravity of the trailer was somewhere near the tailgate. To counter this, I used to firstly buy 9 bags of cement and load that as far up front as possible - 3 wide by 3 high. Driving home was an interesting experience - 70 km/h going downhill, 80 on the flat and 90 uphill. Any more and it would start to wag. I never weighed the load, but comparing it to a known load of 1.2 tonnes of cement and lime, it was similar weight. And I towed it mostly with a Sigma 2 L 5 speed model.

But I never lost any piece of material on the trips. I am sure that I wouldn't get away with it now - hell, even tying things down with ropes is illegal. And the traffic is so much worse these days... They were the "Good Old Days" - thank God that they are not with us now!
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Out of interest quite a few sections of the above mentioned area are 110k zone

90k's might be a better option regardless of what the sign say looking at the carnage?

Just saying
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
Out of interest quite a few sections of the above mentioned area are 110k zone

90k's might be a better option regardless of what the sign say looking at the carnage?

Just saying

A properly set up car and van should easily be capable of 100kph on a highway/freeway. I,ve seen dozens sitting on 110/120kph on NT highways. Towed by large units. The twin cabs and mid size vehicle owners have been suckered into thinking their unit is safely capable of dragging their aluminum road block around.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 1 Week Ago
Resident

Quote:
Kev Williams and Trev Whish, from Australian Four Wheel Driving and Advanced Driver Education, said a "poorly positioned load" was the most common cause of caravan crashes.

The senior trainers said while manufacturers had a responsibility to ensure caravan specifications were met and the vehicles safe to use, minor changes to a caravan's load by the owner later could be enough to cause a major accident.

"What tends to happen is, once the owner takes over, they can upset that balance by putting too much weight on the back of their caravan or trailer," Mr Williams said.

"That's one of the main reasons a caravan or trailer sways, because you've putting too much on the back.

"Load weight and position is important.

"So it might be set to go, but the owner might put a 20-litre fuel jerry on the back, they might add a bike rack or spare tyre those things will easily cause problems."
Ignorance can be dangerous.

Interesting comment in the article about a B-double driver rolling a caravan. A B-double is an inherently more stable design than a typical caravan, and loading principles would be different. A lifetime of experience loading and driving road trains doesn't teach how to load and tow caravans.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
Ignorance can be dangerous.

Interesting comment in the article about a B-double driver rolling a caravan. A B-double is an inherently more stable design than a typical caravan, and loading principles would be different. A lifetime of experience loading and driving road trains doesn't teach how to load and tow caravans.

Agree....but by geez they can certainly reverse a caravan. Some of the efforts I,ve seen at parks would have you think some drivers seeing eye dog was behind the wheel. Sooner we get a licence required for a van and factual weights of vans and vehicles the safer we will all be...especially now that there will be thousands more on the road.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavouring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Telegraph X camper
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I don't understand why this is so difficult to deal with... take a step back after hooking up, does the vehicle look level? no.. repack.
Let alone if you get to highway speed an notice a wobble slow down and reset again.

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Agree....but by geez they can certainly reverse a caravan. Some of the efforts I,ve seen at parks would have you think some drivers seeing eye dog was behind the wheel. Sooner we get a licence required for a van and factual weights of vans and vehicles the safer we will all be...especially now that there will be thousands more on the road.
I dont think we need more licence's, there is enough already. all the bad drivers on the road passed there test remember. Why give the government more money? we need less control here.

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisn06 View Post
I don't understand why this is so difficult to deal with... take a step back after hooking up, does the vehicle look level? no.. repack.
Let alone if you get to highway speed an notice a wobble slow down and reset again.
I think there is way more to it than a van looking level.

It can be way out of kilter weight distribution wise without looking out of level.

Worst instability I've had is when towing a new (well new to me but 2nd hand) empty caravan (no gear in it/ no water in the tanks etc.)

Was very light on the ball weight.
MM Lockup mate. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.